“best little bakery in juneau!”
Review of Pie in the Sky

Pie in the Sky
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Juneau
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Pie in the Sky is Juneau's only custom, full service bakery offering fresh delights that are made using all organic ingredients. Offering a different fresh assortment of baked goods daily. Specializes in custom ordered cakes, pies and pastry. Also very gluten-free, low sugar, vegan, nut free and paleo friendly. Instagram: Pieintheskyak
Reviewed 25 June 2015

When I first found out I was pregnant last fall I truly thought I'd be one of those people who just happily ate my way through my pregnancy, enjoying food like no other. Fast forward nine months (i'm due any day) and let me tell you, this wasn't my story. NOTHING has sounded good my entire pregnancy.... well, except Pie in the Sky baked goods, smoothies, and warm drinks. In the winter, all I wanted was her wonderful lemony ginger hot tea concoctions that were practically medicinal as far as I'm concerned. In the spring, I wanted tarts (lemon specifically) and Jeste (owner) made me the closet thing I've had to a French lemon tart since I've been stateside, even adding sea salt to the tops of them. Before I found out I was having a girl she predicted I was because of my lemon cravings, sure enough, baby girl on board. I work right up the street during legislative session, which can be long trying hours but if I made it down to that little bakery on Seward, the day didn't seem so long or difficult after all. Sweet treats, savory goodies, and the drinks... oh, the drinks. I'm currently hooked on the Oaxacan, a Mexican drinking chocolate blended with oatmeal, almonds, cayenne pepper, and artisan chocolate. All spring I was drinking fruit smoothies freshly mixed in the Vitamixer, with Jeste suggesting different ingredients that I never would have tried (watermelon rind - good for the kidneys - who knew??) I know everyone must be thinking, wow, does this pregnant lady have gestational diabetes or what?? Actually no, I've been eating really healthy (now i know what these freak who "eat for fuel" feel like) but when I want to really enjoy what I'm eating and savor these little pregnancy moments, I head to Pie in the Sky. The food is made with love by a woman who really cares about what she makes. I've lived all over the country, most recently San Francisco for five years, so I don't have some small-town limited palate. I can say it's like I have my own little Tartine down the street now, without the lame baristas and crowds. Brava Jeste, thank you for making my first pregnancy easier and making goodies that I actually enjoy!

1  Thank AKGirl81

Reviewed 15 June 2015

I can only rate the pies since tha's all i had but did try several. I've had better pies at Shari's which isn't saying much. There was a chocolate pie that was pretty good but crust was waay to tough. Could barely cut it even with a sharp knife. Berry pie was tart which isn't what I prefer. Lemon meringue was soup. Didn't hold together at all. In fact couldn't even get it out in a slice. Strawberry pie was flavorful but not particularly attractive. In fact all the pies were a bit ugly. I'm TERRIBLE at making pies but mine look way better than these and taste better too.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Meet a truly friendly place where you can sample a vast array of delicious baked goods that can be washed down with excellent hot drinks. The menu keeps changing. So, it's always a good bet to revisit frequently. The owner and chief baker is a sweet but gutsy woman who began this business with a vision and as far as I know, has stayed true to her mission to offer up the best- no compromises and to keep it fresh, imaginative and customer pleasing!...This is addendum was just sent to me: " the woman who now owns and runs it not only meets your description but also has committed to organic ingredients, a selection of healthy smoothies, and even more gluten-free items. She loves to make specialty cakes as well, which was not one of my strengths". So, there it is. Enjoy_ I did!.

2  Thank Sharonlee18
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Numerous gluten free items.. great coffee and yummy food choices! Tiny place with big flavors! Plan to carry out, or perch on the one tall table for a quick bite.

2  Thank TXLonghornMary
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After reading the reviews I thought I have to go here for the death by chocolate. The new owner was there and said she she only does pies and cakes by order. She was out of the death by chocolate. But she did have some amazing looking food, and a local person was there just raving about the food. Personally I didn't try anything because I was set on the chocolate dessert. Just be aware that you should probably contact the shop if you are going for something specific.

1  Thank Cheryl S