See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Dave, the owner of the Chilkat Eagle B & B is an extremely knowledgeable individual and knows the history of Haines AK.. A previous professional fishermen off the waters of Haines, AK., he shares his knowledge with those that take the time to listen and is willing to take you to places or give you suggestions on where to visit. The B & B itself is a former army home in need of cosmetic repairs. The room in which he puts his guests is spacious and quiet and its location is great for those who like to walk around the historic Fort Seward grounds.and down to the waterfront and downtown. There is a large outdoor yard for relaxing or playing with the kids. With a little bit of clean up and less clutter this could be a gem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My friend and I were in Haines on our way to Skagway and stayed here one evening. Dave is a very nice and friendly host, who is also very knowledgeable on the area. My only problem with the B&B was the clutter downstairs and on the porch. We stayed at many places in AK, Yukon & BC so we know many places have problems with their trash/clutter. We did not cook or eat here but were invited to do so. The rooms upstairs were clean and comfortable. There is no shower just a hand held shower head in a rusty tub. That would have been fine if there had been a shower curtain! This place has a lot of potential - a little cleaning, de-cluttering and painting would have helped a bunch!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

Every other place in town was over $100 for my boyfriend, dog and I to stay. Dave offered $70 a day and said we would do our own meals. I figured at that price it would be a little more like a hostel and it was.
I did not find Dave creepy at all. Maybe the other people who reviewed haven't spent much time in small towns but every little town attracts some eccentric people. He was one of them. He did collect clutter and used flamboyant language and gestures (that is not a reference to his sexual orientation. I have no idea if he is gay nor do i care). He was different but as a young lady who has travelled abroad alone and knows creepy, I did not get the creeper vibe from him at all. No invading of personal space, remarks that made me uncomfortable or strange looks.
I noticed that haines had a problem with trash in general and the b & b was no exception. He did have a maid who had recently moved in and was helping clean up. I would say it needs some more cleaning and de-cluttering. And it is long overdue for renovations.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I just read the negative reviews left by a few visitors and all I can say is what a bunch of wooses. Chilkat B&B is warm, dry, and comfortable, with a 24/7 fireplace going in the living room and an open kitchen where you have free reign to concoct whatever you want. Dave, the host, has gone out of his way to provide an 1898 Gold Rush authentic Alaskan ambiance, but the previous review-writers sound like they came to the Alaskan wilds expecting to find Trump Tower type accomodations. This is not New York or Las Vegas and I assume they came here for that very reason. We came to see the large congregation of bald eagles along the Chilkat River during mid November. How our room's ceiling looks is irrelevant to getting out and enjoying the eagles and majesty of the setting. The shower had plenty of hot water and wee were not wanting for any creature comforts. Dave is chatty and personable and eagerly shares his knowledge of the wildlife and surrounds. This was our second stay at the B&B and we would not hesitate to come here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark N
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Well I'd like to echo a lot of the other writers but I will include some good here too; for the record my wife choose this place I wanted a cabin.
We arrived very late say 11 pm after a 16 hour drive from Anchorage, so frankly we had low standards unfortunately that is what we got. After a short search we found the place drove around back and parked, Dave the owner greeted us out side. Frankly I was excited it was a cool night and the place looked very cozy and historic after all it is a 100 year old building which is old in Alaska. When we got inside, well I was shocked; instead of a welcoming space for people to feel at home and lounge, the living area was full of stuff, there was barley a place for my wife to sign the documents, the kitchen was hidden behind a hanging sheet. To be clear here I have stayed in lodging around the world and I know what to expect.
Dave led us to "our side" of the house and up stairs, mind you I had to walk through the path of stuff to get there. Frankly the room was not bad I really liked the old doors, radiator, transom above the doors etc. This is a historic old house I believe old officer quarters so it still holds charm. Haines is a very damp climate and the room smelled very musty we had to open the window to make it bearable; the paint was peeling in places and there was clear water damage in spots.
To be honest the price was well, resonable I guess, $85 the three of us supposedly with self serve breakfast. Dave pointed out we could help ourselves to breakfast in the kitchen, but frankly we did not feel comfortable just opening the fridge or going through the cupboards; would you? Self serve usually means it is at least accesible laid out some where, even so there was no space to eat. He made no mention of breakfast in the morning and neither did we frankly we just wanted to leave.
So for $85 we literally flopped, I mean we arrived and went right to sleep woke up showerd and left, so in that event it was adequate. This place has a ton of potential just a few little things here and their, get rid of the junk would help immensley and actually have customer service. It is simple if your home is your buisness invest in it instead of letting it fall apart.
Many of these officer quarters in Fort Seward are now lodging so there is demand, this place is really neat but he simply has let it go.
Basically stay else where, you can do better for the money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family