“Heart just wasn't in it...”

Alaska Guardhouse Lodging
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haines
Alaska Guardhouse Lodging
Ranked #7 of 9 Haines B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

We stayed here on the Friday of Labor Day and had chosen this place based on other reviews and a couple of recommendations.

When I booked the owner told me she would be at work the day we were checking in so we weren't expecting her to be around when we arrived. When we did arrive at noon the house was unlocked and we found that the rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis, 2 rooms were already taken (the lower rate rooms so we had to choose a room at their highest rate). No problem as the room we got was lovely, clean and homely.

We left our details and explored Haines for the day. This place is perfectly located, walking distance for all the downtown Haines stuff you want to do.

We got back about 6ish and the owner was just leaving. She asked for our payment details and whilst in the kitchen showed me breakfast. It was a joke... a couple of sad looking bananas, cereal and bread. She said help yourself but never showed me where the plates, cutlery, glasses, cups were... if I am paying $155 a night I at least expect to have stuff to eat off, something to drink and a place to sit... the living /communal areas were not clean or tidy and there was no obvious place to sit that hadn't previously been occupied by the dog or its toys. Not the hospitality we expected...

The place is up for sale and the owner was leaving for Oregon that night. She said her partner would be around in the morning but there was no sign of her when we left at 9am the next day. I don't know if this was just bad timing and her heart is not in it but she shouldn't be taking bookings if that is the case...

Interestingly when we got back from dinner around 8pm the other 2 (cheaper) rooms were no longer occupied and the names on the allocation sheet were scrubbed out... maybe they cancelled... maybe they didn't...

We won't be recommending this place to our friends...

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 September 2015

Stayed there in November for the bald eagle festival. The property of off the main road and if there is snow on the ground, a bit of a walk for food. The property was warm and clean and the hosts were very nice. There are steps to access the property.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2015

Phyllis and Joann were awesome hosts and we were very, very happy with our stay at the Guardhouse. Phyllis knows everyone and everything about Haines and has a wonderful can-do attitude. Our room was spotless and the bathroom was lovely, especially the adjustable shower head. Phyllis picked us up from the small harbor dock and gave a quick tour of town (we were tired) and even stopped at a convenience store along the way for me. They let us stow our luggage in the covered porch so we could go sight-seeing and then drove us to the ferry dock when it was time for our boat. I highly recommend this friendly, comfortable inn. Oh, and the wi-fi was free, just ask for the password. Say 'hi' to Finn (the dog) for me!

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2015

We stayed two nights. It is very homey, comfortable and clean. The owners are very friendly and welcoming. . It is close to,the ferry so you can walk in. However, the breakfast was only cold cereal, no juice for kids, bread but no homemade jam as promised. Make your own hot cereal. But milk ran out the second day. Disappointing.
Still, I would recommend it otherwise.

Room Tip: The room with its own bathroom was really nice.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2015

I have stayed in many hotels and B&B's in my travels.
The Guardhouse is the best place I have stayed in in a long time.
Not only was my accommodation comfortable it also exceeded my expectations.
The photos on their site do not do it justice. My bed was so comfortable that I could have stayed in it all day. Best night sleep.
Bathroom was large and the water flow was good and hot.
My room was downstairs. I had the largest room in the whole house. I had my own kitchen. Stove, fridge, microwave, toaster, filter coffee machine and everything else that is wanted in a kitchen. While not a large kitchen it was absolutely addiquite for what I needed.
Phyllis and Joanne made me feel SO welcome. Their home / B&B is warm and inviting. I stayed there for 3 weeks this winter 2014-2015. Honestly by the end of my stay I felt so blessed to have come across such a wonderful place to stay and wonderful people (owners) to stay with.
The view from the Guardhouse is to die for. The Northern Lights can be seen from their house.
It is a short and nice walk to town.
I loved my breakfast each morning and the coffee was the best I have had in a long time.
Phyllis and Joanne are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the history of the town, local attractions and activities.
I will stay here again on my return to Haines. Truely there is nowhere better you could stay. Look them up if you intend to stay in Haines.

Room Tip: Check out the website to have a look at them or call and ask about them. Either Phyllis or Joanne w...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo