All reviews lower unit fantastic views close to town bald eagles telescope bedroom property kitchenette owner
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Spent a couple weeks in the lower unit. It was conveniently located just minutes from town along the river and beach trails. The studio was very clean and comfortable. Deb and Rufus were gracious and helpful hosts. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2016

The river house is all about its location. Close to Haines yet you feel very isolated and have the views all to yourself. We stayed in the upper apartment. I also saw the lower apartment. The difference is vast. If at all possible always stay upstairs as the views are amazing. The bottom part has no views unless you go for a 30-second walk. And then you're outside in the elements. In the upstairs apartment you have a scope and dependent upon the weather and you can look out and see wildlife and incredible views. The upstairs is also nicer appointed and much much larger. The upstairs also has a small spiral staircase up to the bedroom. It was no problem for us but if you have mobility issues or are a large person it could be uncomfortable. Our host Deborah was very accommodating. We did encounter some issues getting the right dates booked. Deboraht was nice enough to allow us to stay in her private home for one night because of the mix-up. Upon arrival she had forgotten that we were coming. But within minutes she had adjusted and hosted us. We were humbled by her hospitality and appreciated her kindness very much. I come back to the location. You just can't beat it. If you're looking for a place where you feel alone in the Alaska Wilderness with Incredible views and quiet accomadations look no further than the river house. It is only a three-minute drive into town.

Room Tip: Upstairs is a must
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Deborah V, Owner at River House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2016

Thanks for the great review, and the awesome photos! You got some good ones. And thanks for being so good natured and accommodating about my temporary lapse on your staying here at my home (tip: don't get old!). Hope to see you back here again!

Deb

Reviewed 22 July 2016

Relaxing, comfortable accommodations. Gaze out to sea or take a walk along the river. Eagles and sea birds abound. Wolves can be heard across the river. Amazing landscape of glacier capped mountains. A great spot to unwind from reality.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Deborah V, Owner at River House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Thaks so much! Terrific that you could gear wolves. Hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

I found this house online several years ago and couldn't wait to book it. Well this was the year and we just returned. My family and I just adored the house and the location. The house is in such a wonderful location. Such wonderful silence and wondrous views of the mountains and Eagles and river. The owner is great to work with and loves when you love it. As I write this review from New Jersey I'm dreaming of the riverhouse in Haines Alaska. Thank you Deb and see you soon.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Deborah V, Owner at River House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay, and that River House didn't disappoint, after such long anticipation. You are right, I love it when people so appreciate my lovely part of the world. I hope you can all come back soon!

Reviewed 15 September 2015

The River House (upstairs unit) is one of our favourite places to go in Haines. The view is spectacular- with ocean, mountains, thousands of birds, and eagles humming right out the front door. There is a lovely deck to sip coffee in the morning, as you take in the ocean air. The kitchen has all the amenities you could need, and the dining room table is surrounded by large windows. We also love the fireplace on the main floor. There is a bedroom upstairs- a cozy loft with a spiral staircase, more windows- and a window seat to read or write in. The location of the house is not far from the main town- we have driven and biked, preferring the latter. It is also right close to the beach, so for running, walking, or beach combing it is perfect.

Room Tip: The upstairs unit is superb.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family