All reviews fort seward no elevator the owner hotel restaurant officers quarters dining experience walking tour halibut old building nice service surrounding mountains historic property bit undercooked every bite wine list army base didn't mind
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I love the Halsingland -- been there twice, 8years apart. It is so...historic. A little funky, but that's part of the charm. You're in ALASKA, for heaven's sake! Take a little time to find out about the place and the immediate setting. Very cool.

Room tip: The building most uphill = good view. Corner room overlooking the parade grounds, 2nd floor = wonderful.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2017

This hotel reminded me of the Bates Motel in the old Hitchcock movie, Psycho, and not in a good way. Peeling paint, musty smell, filthy carpet (I called my husband who was joining me the next day and advised him to bring flipflops for the carpet), a teeny tiny sink, inadequate old-fashioned hanging light with dead bugs in it, sagging bed, funny wires sticking out of the rusty baseboard heater in the bathroom, and noisy staircases that sounded like thunder when people went up and down, it had them all. I had trouble sleeping the first night because lights from the headlights of cars turning the corner near my room would fill my room with light (even though I had drawn the dirty curtains) then sweep away. It was like sleeping under a searchlight. I'm glad that I didn't have a room on the top floor because I could see that one step in the wooden fire escape had rotted away and there was daylight between the railing and the post that supposedly supported it. I think I would have preferred to take my chances at burning to death. Luckily I don't have to because I won't be staying there again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Alaskatravel1234
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Delightful stay at the Halsingland during one of busiest weekends of the year. Excellent hospitality, loved the rooms, excellent housekeeping, convivial ambience in the lounge. We enjoyed an excellent meal and found our dining experience enchanting. They stretched to accommodate our large party and the service was top notch and friendly. Can't wait to come back. At check in you may notice a basket of various goodies available for purchase. I loved the Bouchon, cork-shaped, rich chocolate cakes.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

From the outside this hotel, like all the buildings in historic Fort Seward, looks charming. Our small room was not.

Dirty carpet, peeling paint, musty smell, tiny bath, poor quality bed, broken tv, and only one key for two people: "someone must have walked off with it," was the unreassuring explanation from the desk clerk.

Yes, this is small town Alaska, and a person shouldn't expect all the urban amenities. Even taking that into account, our experience was very poor.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Not your typical hotel/motel accommodation as this us a very nice historic building. Room was clean and comfortable although bathroom a but small. Hotel provided complimentary coffee and baked pastries in the morning which were small but very tasty. It may have been better to have served these in the bar/restaurant area though rather than at reception where there is limited seating. Not the cheapest accommodation you will find but you pay for the historic charm

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple