“Beautiful setting and friendly welcome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halsingland Hotel

Halsingland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Haines
Anchorage
“Beautiful setting and friendly welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is in the most lovely part of Haines. There is no other hotel that I've experienced in Alaska to match it for its historic setting. The staff were very friendly and I felt right at home there. When unfortunately I got injured in the town, they couldn't have been more helpful. To sum up I have very fond memories of the hotel and the level of service, thanks guys.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Vstromer001
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a historic hotel in a beautiful setting. I spent one night there as I waited to board the Alaska ferry. The front office was very efficient and put me in a "pet friendly" room. The room was run down (torn curtains, torn mattress covers) and had a dank, musty smell. The charge for one night was over $100 U.S. Based on what I saw during this visit, I would not recommend this property to other travelers with pets.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AlaskaDreams
Grenchen, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I stayed for two nights in a handycapped room. Just hughes with three beds and we loved to stay outside on the porch. We stayed for another two nights upstairs in the commanders room with one queen bed. Here we looked out on the fields and the canal. It is a hundred year old place though, so don't expect five stars. Charles and Jeff at the front desk were so friendly, kind and helpful, we had a marvellous stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed one night at the Halsingland. We hadn't stayed there for about 15 years. The last visit was disastrous (no hot water, musty room, no milk for breakfast). We thought we would give it a try since we heard it had new owners. The room was dark and plain. We couldn't get the heater to work so it was freezing that night (cold and rainy in Haines that night. I slept in a long-sleeved shirt and fleece sweater). The cord to the long drapes was broke so I had to pull them back and put a chair in front of the window to get some light. The entire outside porch was covered with peeling paint-it looked really tacky and dingy. It took 10 minutes of running water in the bathroom sink to get some hot water. No food on site for breakfast. All of this for $130/night. It would take a lot of money dumped into this place to fix it up.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobbyRose
North Pole, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I had a wonderful experience here. I ended up in town a day early and exhausted. They were happy to give me and additional day and they even gave me a free early check-in. The hotel is part of historic Ft. Seward so it's original and not just another typical hotel. The staff was always helpful and friendly and did whatever they could to make my stay more comfortable. I would recommend them to anyone and plan on staying there again. In fact, I'll probably be back this summer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haines
26.2 km away
26.6 km away
Historic Skagway Inn
Historic Skagway Inn
#4 of 5 in Skagway

Been to Halsingland Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK