“Nice stop, good food”

Carriage House Dining Room
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Gakona
Reviewed 6 February 2018

Stopped at this quaint little country restaurant on the way to Fairbanks. We had sandwiches, salad, relishes and dessert which were quite fresh and tasty. Rebecca, the owner took care of us and we'd definitely stop again. Great place.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We ate here one Friday night and enjoyed the meal. The restaurant is a historic log cabin on the Gakona River in an area that is quite rural. We each ordered the salmon entree and it was the best meal we had eaten up to that point of our trip. As was typical of many of the restaurants in Alaska the salmon was over done, but this didn't detract that much from our enjoyment of the evening. We ordered a Gin Martini without vermouth before dinner and it was interesting that they said they didn't know how to make one but offered to try. They consulted a "bar book" and made one for us. Can't go wrong because it's just Gin shaken over ice with no vermouth. I guess they were pretty proud of their accomplishment because they charged us $14.00 for the martini ! I gave this 4 stars because they are a young couple wanting to live the rustic life in Alaska and have that "I can do it " attitude. All in all a very nice experience and we would definitely go back. It is the best restaurant in the entire area.

Date of visit: August 2017
Clif_Potter, Owner at Carriage House Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Hi guys, and thanks for the review. We're glad you enjoyed the salmon, and apologize if it was a bit overdone. Oddly enough, despite now living in Alaska, my wife and I aren't big fish folk, so it's something we're still learning. She is pretty good at figuring out just about everything in Alaska. As far as Martinis go, it's just not a request we really ever get up here. I think yours makes the second in 4 seasons now, and oddly enough, both requests were this year. As you might imagine, there aren't a lot of trained bartenders out in our neck of the woods, so bear, vodka, whiskey and "AND Drinks" (rum and coke, gin and tonic, etc.) are pretty much the norm around here. We do absolutely welcome learning new things though, and Google is an excellent bartender, although he's too lazy to ever actually make the drinks. In any case, thanks so much for the feedback!

Reviewed 26 August 2017

I am a local who enjoys customer service and great food. At the Carriage House you get both. Excellent Servers and food that is unbeaten in the local area. The cook and the staff are customer oriented and provide you with the best experience. They go out of their way to make sure your meal is right or they fix it to your satisfaction which usually isn't necessary. I highly recommend this as Gakona's best and only restaurant!

Date of visit: June 2017

Ed,
Thanks for the review. We always appreciate your presence and feedback down here. Like most places, we definitely do make mistakes now and then, but we are pretty good at working our darndest to fix them. Looking forward to seeing you again soon, and thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

We ate at the Carriage House Restaurant after a long day in Valdez. It was the best meal during our 2 weeks in Alaska. I had a salmon dinner, which was the third time that I ordered salmon thus far on the trip (6 total salmon dinners for the trip). Rebecca is one of the owners and head cook. She came to the table to discuss my need to have a gluten free meal. There was a small salad bar (approximately 10 items) with very fresh lettuce to enjoy while I waited for the meal—approximately 12 minutes. The salmon was the freshest and tastiest that I had on the trip! The biggest surprise was the very large baked Idaho potato. I cannot remember ever getting such a big and tasty baked potato in a restaurant. I took half of it back to my cabin and ate it for lunch the next day. My son had a big hamburger, which he said was the best that he had eaten in many years. The dining room was historic— relaxing place to be. The prices were very reasonable and considering the high quality, it was high value.

Overall, it is well worth the extra 17 minute drive from Glennallen if you are passing through there. If you want to socialize, the local folks at the Trappers Tavern next door were a friendly group. The gas prices at the Tok cutoff was 45 cents a gallon cheaper than the big gas station in Glennallen-- a bonus.

Date of visit: June 2017

Thanks so much for the review and sorry for the delay in responding to it. We are really glad that you enjoyed the restaurant. Rebecca is a natural in the kitchen, and she really loves taking care of our guests! We're glad you enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and that the food exceeded expectations. If you can think of anything that could be better if you ever make it back this way, please don't hesitate to shoot us a note or give us a call. We hope the rest of your Alaskan adventure was absolutely amazing.

Reviewed 13 August 2016

My wife and I ate dinner here on a Friday night. We were staying in a BnB that was close, so it was a logical choice. We both had a nice sized piece of grilled halibut with vegetables and mashed potatos. A berry flavored beer for me and a glass of chardonnay for my wife complemented our dinner. I had the berry cobbler for desert. The service was friendly and efficient.

This open, high ceilinged, log restaurant building was erected in 1929 and is still in good shape. Close by is the Original Historic Doyle's Roadhouse which was established in 1904 and is on the National Historic Register. The present day Gakona Lodge was also built in 1929 and still accommodates travelers. The day we were there was cloudy, so it was a little dark inside the restaurant as there are not many windows and the logs are dark. Still, once your eyes get used to the lighting it is ok. There are some artifacts on display from a more active roadhouse days in the early 1900's when it was a major stop over spot on the Valdez to Fairbanks trail and road.

Date of visit: August 2016