US$ 447
US$ 359
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 516/night.

Kuru Club(Aitutaki)
Etu Moana(Aitutaki)
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsother guestsfishgas stoveoutdoor showerone foot islandboat tripcook islandsan excellent lunchmosquito netthe managersawesome snorkelingparadise holidaysnorkeling toursbudget accommodationworked finewill blow your mindperfect hosts
Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

This place will blow your mind if you love your quiet time and beautiful beach views. The upper treehouse was perfect and self contained. The reef out front is great snorkeling and you can walk to a few restaurants. Paul and Lisa are perfect hosts and are helpful without hovering. Their boat trip out to One Foot Island was beautiful and well organized and was one of the highlights of my 2 weeks in the country. It was so nice not to be on a giant boat with tons of people. Everyone staying there was friendly and helpful. The hammocks out front are heavenly.
I would recommend in addition Koru Cafe for bfast or lunch and renting a kayak over at Ootu beach to explore.
One thing that would be great is for the owner to offer a couple of good mountain bikes in addition to the beach cruisers. It would make it even easier to peddle around if you don't want to drive a scooter. There aren't many hills but there was wind! I would happily have paid more for a mtn bike with gears on site (or a kayak rental). Overall a great value for this gem.
Thanks for everything guys!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Paul_Lisa_Matriki, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Kia Orana Kate
Thank you so much for a wonderful review of Matriki. Paul and I are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here so much and that the Upper Tree House was everything you had hoped for. We also had a fabulous day out on the lagoon with only you, Anne & Tom for company. Makes for such a lovely day when there are so few of us and we can enjoy the time together - a great day spent with lovely people; feels nothing like 'being at work' - well except maybe when i've got to go off and do the dishes haha!
We are extremely lucky to attract guests like yourself - who are looking to get out and experience the beauty of Paradise and all is has to offer but without the expectation of high end resort facilities and price tags.
I wish that you had mentioned you would have preferred gears on the bike as Paul and I do have our own (rarely used) mountain bikes, tucked away indoors which we would have swapped out for you. Next time for sure! :)
Kia Manuia - best of wishes back home

Reviewed 6 April 2017

Brilliant budget accommodation. Paul and Lisa are extremely helpful and enthusiastic. They did a stunning job of organising our wedding (their first) I hope this was the first of many for them, they deserve to do well.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Paul_Lisa_Matriki, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2017

Dear Tony & Serene
Meitaki Atupaka for your lovely review of us at Matriki. We are absolutely thrilled you enjoyed your stay here and even more delighted you chose to have your wedding on our beachfront. It was an absolute pleasure to not only co-ordinate it, decorate it (especially the 50 coconuts to make the heart in the sand haha) but to also take you out into the lagoon and photograph your day, together with the added excellent shots from our drone footage! Thank you both for being great sports and putting on the snorkel gear and getting in the water dressed in your beautiful wedding attire! We thoroughly enjoyed every moment and trust we created and captured some great memories for you guys to cherish forever.
Wishing you a lifetime of happiness together and once again, thanks so much for choosing Matriki.
Kia Manuia

Reviewed 28 March 2017

That Location is not switable to have a good Holiday. Shoud not be on Tripadvisor!!! Becouse: the female landlord just think about to earn money, there are diffrent Prices for the same Things - (Ship-Trip for diffrent quest have not the same Price on the same trip!!)It woud be good you have a a copy from what you payed in advance! (She try to get it twice!) Bicycles - verry old and dangerous, Brakes damaged and more mistakes - but 10 $ per day! you Need a fan, but you have to pay 5 $ per day! In the "apper try hut" water is not always rechable. The bed is sweat-staind and so we had reactions on the Skin. And last: they had over booked the huts! For one day we had to Change the Location! The new Location was the best of my days! I can offer to book "The Rhinos"! (Less Money but more Quality)

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Paul_Lisa_Matriki, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2017

Dear Susanne, Sophie & Kjell
Thank you for your review however I have to admit I am extremely shocked by your comments. Considering this was your second trip to Matriki and you specifically requested the Upper and Lower Tree Huts and had been planning your return to celebrate your 60th birthday here for some time close to a year. You wrote me emails telling me you were longing to come back to visit.
The location or the lagoon have certainly not changed since the last time you visited and the rooms have been upgraded over the years, with all of the mattresses being cleaned actually a few short weeks before you arrived, new mattress protectors and new bed linen provided. The prices of our room rates, and lagoon trips have slightly increased over time so perhaps this is what you are referring to since the many years ago you visited the island?
Your mention of me only being interested in money, I can only imagine is that upon checking out I informed you the airport transfers were $10 each forgetting that you had previously paid this when you paid your deposit almost a year previously, so yes this was oversight on my behalf to almost charge you airport transfers again.
In regard to overbooking of the rooms –this is not strictly true – YOU actually chose to spend an additional night on the island at short notice and I had not seen your email requesting this change until a few days prior to your arrival. Since I already had another booking for the rooms, I spent part of a day ringing around the island trying to sort out other accommodation on your behalf and managed to reserve you a special rate at another resort. On your arrival at the airport I informed you of this immediately and told you that I had been worried sick as you didn’t respond to my email, and you assured me it was not a problem at all for you. On your last day I also drove you there and then collected you early the next morning to return you to the airport, at no cost to save you the $10 fee they would have charged you. I had also spent an hour taking you all into town to purchase groceries etc when you arrived, so this isn’t really the actions of someone who is only concerned with money?
We took you on a beautiful lagoon trip and made you a special birthday cake for your birthday, Paul also took your daughter out fishing and when they came back early due to catching a huge fish, he only charged a fraction of the price and filleted the fish for you all, enough to last you several days.
The water in the huts is not drinking water, and this is clearly printed in our welcome book, I also informed you of this at check in. We have fresh drinking water on site, and you are welcome to refill the water jug I fill and place in your fridge whenever you like at the tap outside.
With regard to the bicycles; they were purchased brand new in August 2015 I believe, several months before we arrived as Managers. You did not mention there was a problem with the brakes or the bikes – we could have looked at that immediately - although we may have had to adjust the saddle to your heights from memory. No-one prior to your visit, or since has mentioned there is a problem with them, however of course Paul will check them all over once again.
The fans in the rooms are $4 a day. Guests can choose to have a fan if they wish but they are not always needed. The minimal cost is solely to cover the cost of running the fans as electricity here on the island is very expensive. Here at Matriki we cater for the budget traveller so our prices are the basic room prices which a lot of traveller opt for as it gives them a beautiful island getaway without the huge price tag. So naturally extras will cost more on top of your room rate.
With regard to Sophie’s skin reaction – which happened later into your holiday, there was no mention that you thought it was caused from Matriki but after taking our advice to visit the hospital, they suggested it could be a viral reaction and that she should have blood tests when you returned home. Upon checking out of Matriki your rooms were left in a filthy state. Maybe this had something to do with the skin reaction.
All in all you gave us the impression that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at Matriki. All requests were honoured no matter how small, even to give us both a huge hug and thanks at the airport we believed you were satisfied so this really upsets us to know you were not. So if we made your stay here a bad one we do apologise.
Lisa & Paul, Managers

Reviewed 4 March 2017

Matriki is a great place to relax and to use as a home base for island excursions. Lisa and Paul do a great job of orienting you to what the island of Aitutaki has to offer, and they can take you out on a custom-tailored snorkeling expedition and tour of the lagoon. The accommodations are rustic, but they're clean and have everything you need. You can't find a more idyllic location--right on the beach with the best snorkeling.

Room Tip: The tree house is perfect for two couples traveling together.
Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Thank Kluff33 .
Paul_Lisa_Matriki, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Kia Orana Kluff33
Meitaki for taking the time to write a lovely review of us here at Matriki. We are delighted that you and your family had such a wonderful experience here with us. It was pretty special to hear that you booked us after reading a wonderful article about Aitutaki, with a special mention from the author about Matriki, in your local newspaper.

I'm pleased we were able to easily organize the hire of a car for your trip which gave you the opportunity to get out to explore the island in full, as well as taking trips on the beautiful lagoon. We very much enjoyed hosting your stay in Paradise and hope to see you all return again one day.

Kia Manuia

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Problem-free and factual communication with Lisa over e-mail and in person, I felt that Lisa is naturally positive "tuned" person - I like to interact with such people.
Everything was possible to organize - f.e. one day trip on the lagoon with Teking lagoon cruises, also transfer to/from the airport was trouble free.

Excellent location just few meters away from the beautiful beach and turquoise sea.
Personal bathroom, mosquito net in every window (=sleep not interrupted by the flying beasts), decent price for stay in paradise (I should stay here 5 nights instead of the main island - Rarotonga).

Internet available in the nearby Tamanu Beach resort. There is also possible to buy just coffee or buffet for breakfast and/or good dinner - I can recommend sunday evening dinner for 40 or 45 NZD.

Everyone on the island was very kind, Aitutaki is like paradise (on the other hand Rarotonga is much more touristic and "money" oriented).

I wish I could return one day to Autitaki.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank rbbrno
Paul_Lisa_Matriki, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2017

Kia Orana rbbrno
Meitaki Atupaka - We very much appreciate you taking the time to write such a fabulous review.
Paul and I thrilled you had such a lovely time in Aitutaki and despite the fact it wasn't possible for us to take you on a lagoon trip in the short days you were here, we were only too happy to ask Teking to take you with his group, knowing you would have an excellent day doing the 'spots' we also visit.
You are correct in saying the beautiful people in Aitutaki are very warm and friendly; they are much more interested in making sure everyone is happy, looked after and well informed, rather than chasing the $$$ and this is so rare in the world we live in today. We feel very blessed to be a part of this community.
We do hope that you make it back to our Paradise one day. Until then, good luck with your future ventures.
Kia Manuia, Lisa & Paul