All reviews one foot island island night happy staying blue lagoon restaurant rooms are clean koru cafe ootu beach stunning lagoon boat shed three night stay cook islands bishops cruises waters edge lagoon cruise hot water fabulous location instant coffee
Reviewed 8 October 2018

When I booked our flights (my husband and I) I read about Aitutaki and knew we had to go. Now, most people go for only a few nights but I was so glad we stayed for the majority of our trip there! The weather was fabulous (even when it rained or was cloudy, it didn’t last long and was still very comfortable. The staff there was so friendly and helpful, and even though it is off the beaten track as far as town goes, the restaurant was nice, Koru Cafe is a short walk and soooo worth it and the Boat Shed is close by to rent scooters/cars and have a nice meal (also nice for sunrise viewing)

The room: beds are comfortable, our AC worked the whole time we were there, the shower was hot and had good pressure, the room was clean and they stocked our coffee/milk whoever we asked! Also, they fill up a big water jug that is in your room with filtered drinking water whenever you need more so that helped cutting costs.

Mosquitoes! There were loads there every morning and evening!!! We bought bug spray but it didn’t work well so I wish we had brought some from home.

The beach at the hotel is amazing and that lagoon!!! Stunning. Bishops cruises go right from there and we did the full day $95 one and it was worth it! Lunch was great and the snorkelling was amazing.

We would 100% stay here again!!

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank Stacey1215
Reviewed 20 September 2018

After being met at the plane and taken on a 5 min drive we were there! Silence!! Flat clear water of the lagoon ruffled only by a wading Bone fisherman and a stand up paddle boarder you just wonder where the rest of the world went. Warm welcome by the friendly staff as we checked in before heading to our chalets. Great swim followed by drinks on the waters edge before a scrumptious dinner. Plans for snorkelling and a visit to 'One Foot ' Island the next day were set and it was time to enjoy our first night on Aitutaki. A wonderful break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life (even in Raro?) but all too soon we were heading out but we will be back again. Man many thanks to the whole team.

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 24 August 2018

This is what you hope the South Pacific would look like: a beautiful, peaceful lagoon, barely a wave upon it, just endless differing shades of blue.

The rooms are very expensive for what you are getting: they are basic wooden structures and are of inconsistent quality. The room my wife and I were in was fine, though the draining board next to the sink had not been cleaned; the one my kids were in had a lot of things missing, among them the insect net over the bed, a fly screen on the door, and any doors at all on their cupboards. Normally if you were paying this amount (I think about NZ$350 per bungalow per night) it would be outrageous.

But, you're not paying for the quality of the room. You are paying for its location, and that is just incredible. The bungalows are in two rows and are just a few feet from the beach; the bar/restaurant is right on the water. You just walk right in, unattach a kayak from its mooring, and off you go. And THAT makes it well worth the money.

The feeling of moving through the water there will stay with me forever. it is just so incredibly peaceful. You can take off in your kayak to circuit some of the nearby islands; or if you want to, the sandbank in the lagoon reaches so far, you can just walk out about a third of the way across the entire lagoon and be no deeper into the water than your knees. On the day I arrived two women were sitting on the sandbank; they were still there four hours later and had not moved a muscle. Why would you? There is nowhere on earth you would rather be.

You can hire bikes, though the choice isn't big and the frames are large, and that allows you to cycle into the local town, such as it is, and up to a viewpoint at the top of the island. There really isn't much to do here but that is entirely the point.

They are closely linked with one of the lagoon boat tour operators, which comes right in to the beach to collect you. It is strongly recommended: it takes you to bits of the lagoon even more remote than the one you are in, and you can snorkel and see giant clams, and be surrounded by huge trevally fish. It is just ridiculously beautiful. You can barely take it all in.

The staff are lovely, very friendly, and extremely helpful. My wife had left her bathing costume at a previous place in Rarotonga, and it was sent up to Aitutaki on the regular plane, but then ended up making its way to the Pacific Resort. So a member of the Aitutaki Village staff, Elaine, set off to retrieve it herself - in fact she ended up having to make two trips. She wouldn't accept a tip for doing so. That's the sort of thing you really remember.

On our first night there was a meal with a cultural event attached to it. I went in to this with low expectations but was amazed by how good it was: there was an outstanding drumming troupe, and some very talented local dancers, plus some local songs played on a couple of ukuleles (I swear those things only have three chords, but it's very peaceful anyway).

I would also recommended walking to the nearby cafe, Koru, which prides itself on having the best coffee on the island (frankly the free breakfast at the Village isn't great); and the Boat Shed restaurant and pub around the corner, which has excellent fish and a good atmosphere.

I really miss this place.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank CWrightMedia
Reviewed 20 August 2018

We were met upon arrival at the airport with fresh aromatic leis. We went to the property and our room was generously decorated with fresh flowers on the bed, on the counters etc, The facility was exactly as advertised. It was in a seperate bungalow. There was no tv, radio or telephone. If you are not content to sit on the beach or take a snorkeling cruise, this is not the island for you.

If you are looking for peace and tranquility, this would be an excellent choice. Do not confuse this island with the Paris Ritz, but it is a wonderful;. quiet,peaceful place to relax and regroup.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2018

Spot on when people say this accommodation is at the best spot in Aitutaki. The rooms are comfortable and well presented. The staff were excellent - extremely helpful, professional, friendly and customer focused - no request was too much trouble for them. We were fortunate to be there on a Tuesday, and the Island Night Buffet & Show was a great experience with great food. Would happily stay here again on a future visit.

Date of stay: July 2018