All reviews boat shed great cafe perfect location koru cafe day trip beautiful lagoon walking distance ootu beach lagoon cruise free kayaks aitutaki village wonderful hosts cook islands each morning loved every minute lani steve
Reviewed 12 September 2017

The location is great for snorkeling and it's very peaceful and stunning at the same time.
After a few hectic days in Rarotonga we really enjoyed some down time by the beach.

The kitchen in our villa was scarcely equipped but it had what we needed.

The owners were very friendly and helpful and the view from the hammocks under the palm trees was next level.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Lovely spot to stay. Peaceful and stunningly beautiful. There has already been a lot of tidying up completed around the property and it will just get better and better. Our host was lovely but it would have been helpful to have some info in room regarding a few things, checkout and where to park scooters are a couple that spring to mind. Bed was the most uncomfortable one we have ever used, but thems the breaks. Was awesome having a BBQ to cook our bacon and eggs and hopefully they appreciated us giving it a good clean as it was filthy when we checked in. We thought it was good value for money and would recommend.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We stayed at Ranganui Retreat for one week. Our cabin was beachfront and only a few steps from the beautiful lagoon. We loved being able to use, free of charge, the canoes. Cabins were very basic and in need of a lot of maintenance, but bed was ok and we appreciated clean linen regularly - thanks to the cleaning ladies. It was lovely having the chickens running around. Steve the manager wasn't very friendly and you felt like you were a nuisance if you asked him anything. The mosquitoes were bad, and I got eaten alive with them. We didn't find out about a coil you could buy to help keep them at bay, until the last day. However we did enjoy our stay at Ranganui and we had lots of highlights during our stay on the beautiful island of Aitutaki. There was a great cafe close by, and restaurants, all within walking distance from Ranganui.

Room Tip: We were in the first cabin off the road - it was good
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue687
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Loved every minute of it. Before I came I read all the reviews and was a little worried. The location of Ranginui's Retreat was awesome. You have to get a scooter to get around the island which was so much fun. The accommodation was great didn't need or want anymore. Steve and Lani were good as gold. The island is layed back and the people are so friendly. I would recommend this place 100%. Can't wait for the day we can come back!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank codycat2015
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I emailed re-availability of a waterfront bungalow and received a response from Steve telling me he had two units available for the period we wanted. There was a 24 hour delay in me replying, to be advised that they were no longer available, but to quote his words "We can still do it but might have to shuffle a bit" "We have to change bungalows for you but we can make it work if you still want to stay".
Not sure what he meant I followed up with a phone call to which his response was " we have access to Ranginuis Sunset Bungalows at the other end of the airport. This resort is more expensive and better for snorkelling whereas the Retreat is better swimming. At no extra charge I will pick you up at the airport, take you there for the first three days and then pick you up to spend the last three days at the Retreat." With this response I paid the full amount as quoted.
We arrived, no Steve. An airport staff person was not surprised but managed to track him down. He duly arrived, said his daughter in-law who lives onsite at the Sunset , was meant to have picked us up. On dropping us off he confirmed that he would return on the Sunday to move us to Ranginui's Retreat.
As the bars and eating establishments were now 3 plus kms from our accomodation he offered us a car for the morning at no charge till the accomodation had been cleaned, and a motor scooter for $140 cash which we found could have been cheaper elsewhere.
When his daughter in-law arrived home she advised us that she knew nothing of our arrival and had been out on the water working.
At this point let me state that my complaint is not directed at his son Quintin or daughter in-law Malo, who live onsite at Ranginui's Sunset Bungalows.
On the Sunday we were to be moved to the Retreat we were informed by Malo that we would be staying put.
I visited Steve for an explanation to be told that I had misunderstood and that we were never booked into Ranginui's Retreat. I argued that the records proved otherwise and why would his daughter in-law relay his message that we would be staying at Ranginui's Sunset Bungalows.
He offered the use of the facilities at the Retreat along with the last two days of our stay. We declined.
Our dealings with Steve at Ranginui's Retreat were the only negative encountered in an otherwise exceptional Aitutaki experience.
I am unable to comment on the facilities offered by Ranginui's Retreat however my experience with Steve would suggest alternative accomodation.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple