All reviews boat shed great cafe perfect location koru cafe day trip beautiful lagoon walking distance ootu beach lagoon cruise free kayaks aitutaki village wonderful hosts cook islands each morning loved every minute lani steve
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Loved every minute of it. Before I came I read all the reviews and was a little worried. The location of Ranginui's Retreat was awesome. You have to get a scooter to get around the island which was so much fun. The accommodation was great didn't need or want anymore. Steve and Lani were good as gold. The island is layed back and the people are so friendly. I would recommend this place 100%. Can't wait for the day we can come back!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank codycat2015
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I emailed re-availability of a waterfront bungalow and received a response from Steve telling me he had two units available for the period we wanted. There was a 24 hour delay in me replying, to be advised that they were no longer available, but to quote his words "We can still do it but might have to shuffle a bit" "We have to change bungalows for you but we can make it work if you still want to stay".
Not sure what he meant I followed up with a phone call to which his response was " we have access to Ranginuis Sunset Bungalows at the other end of the airport. This resort is more expensive and better for snorkelling whereas the Retreat is better swimming. At no extra charge I will pick you up at the airport, take you there for the first three days and then pick you up to spend the last three days at the Retreat." With this response I paid the full amount as quoted.
We arrived, no Steve. An airport staff person was not surprised but managed to track him down. He duly arrived, said his daughter in-law who lives onsite at the Sunset , was meant to have picked us up. On dropping us off he confirmed that he would return on the Sunday to move us to Ranginui's Retreat.
As the bars and eating establishments were now 3 plus kms from our accomodation he offered us a car for the morning at no charge till the accomodation had been cleaned, and a motor scooter for $140 cash which we found could have been cheaper elsewhere.
When his daughter in-law arrived home she advised us that she knew nothing of our arrival and had been out on the water working.
At this point let me state that my complaint is not directed at his son Quintin or daughter in-law Malo, who live onsite at Ranginui's Sunset Bungalows.
On the Sunday we were to be moved to the Retreat we were informed by Malo that we would be staying put.
I visited Steve for an explanation to be told that I had misunderstood and that we were never booked into Ranginui's Retreat. I argued that the records proved otherwise and why would his daughter in-law relay his message that we would be staying at Ranginui's Sunset Bungalows.
He offered the use of the facilities at the Retreat along with the last two days of our stay. We declined.
Our dealings with Steve at Ranginui's Retreat were the only negative encountered in an otherwise exceptional Aitutaki experience.
I am unable to comment on the facilities offered by Ranginui's Retreat however my experience with Steve would suggest alternative accomodation.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Walan70
Reviewed 19 June 2017

The actual location and rooms were decent.

- The management was horrible. Upon arrival at the airport there was not enough room in the vehicle they used to pick us up as they thought they were only picking up 1 person when in fact there were 5.....

- Our room was not cleaned once the entire 12 night stay. We had to track staff down to get more necessities like toilet paper, clean towels, soap, garbage bags. When we did ask Steve (the owner)in the evening he seemed annoyed that he had to supply us with these and asked why we didn't get these in the morning like it was our responsibility to do this in the morning? Also our sheets were only changed once in 12 nights which I think is way to long. We were told they got changed every 5 nights so when the 5 nights were up since the last time they were changed we asked if they could be changed again and were told no since we were leaving the next day.

- Management was not informative at all regarding anything. We were not told about the options regarding scooter rental and air conditioning. We rented a scooter for a couple days and were then told by other guests that there was an option of renting one for a weekly rate. Would have been nice to know that.
When we arrived we asked about getting an air conditioned room. We were told there were none available. We were then informed by other guests that you could ask for a portable air conditioning unit to be put in your room. We then went to management and requested this and they supplied us with one for an extra $15/day. Why management wouldn't tell us this is an option when we originally asked is beyond me.

- On our last day we had requested a late check out as our flight wasn't till 7 pm and were flat out told no. We then paid for an extra night instead. After the room was paid for Steve told us he was going to charge us an extra $40 each for a shower which is absolutely ridiculous. We did not pay this which made him angry and he decided not to drive us to the airport.

- Steve also accused us of cracking one of the cheap plastic chairs and wanted to charge us $40 which again we refused. There are cracks in multiple chairs on the property. When we refused to pay for the chair he told us we would have to vacate the room we had already paid for which we did not of course as that is also ridiculous.

I would never stay at Ranguinis Retreat again. Steve is a miserable person and ruins the trip for his guests.

5  Thank Kimmer737
moanasdream, Manager at Ranginui's Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

This lady has gone overboard as she broke a chair that cost 40.00 and was asked to
pay for it ,she was very aggressive and refused to pay ,she did not pay for another
bungalow , we have a late check out fee of $40.00 per person ,which they moved with friends and only paid $120.00 for 4 persons . We could not give a late check out for their room because we had other people moving in and check out is 10am.If you prebook a late check out it can be arranged as per the website They were all given a lift to the airport.Her travelling partner was asked every day if she needed towels or anything for the bungalow and she replied that she would let us know if they wanted anything and sheets were changed twice whilst here every 4 days
. The bungalows are self catering and we do not service rooms and this keeps the price down . Airconditioning is available at $15.00 per day (there are overhead fans ) a lot of people do not want this so this keeps the price down as well.I do reiterate that she did not pay for an extra day for a bungalow or for the broken chair

Reviewed 18 June 2017

The actual location of this hotel was great, and the room was older but consistent with the photos that we saw online. When we arrived at the airport, the employee who was there to pick us up was surprised that we were a group of 4 (and not the solo person that she was expecting), and her vehicle was far too small for all of us and our luggage. She made no effort to find a way to get us to our accommodation, and we ended up catching a ride with a nice man who had a truck who happened to overhear what was going on. The behaviour of the owner (Steve) was terrible. Without notifying me what he was about to do, he attempted to change a propane bottle on the outside of the hut. I was attempting to shower at the time, and by turning on the hot water, the pilot light triggered an explosion. Luckily, he only caused harm to himself, and he did not see his actions as dangerous. Steve tried to charge me twice for a bicycle rental when I had already paid once, tried to charge my friend $40 to replace a broken cheap plastic chair that she had nothing to do with, and tried to charge another tourist $40 to take a shower after he had checked out. You will also be charged an extra $15 per day if there is an air conditioner in your room. There are hundreds of palm trees around, but he gets mad if you take a coconut. (No one else on the entire island acts like this). We asked for a later checkout on our last day. When Steve said no, we paid him $120 (the cost of an additional night) to stay in the room from 10am until 6pm. He tried to charge us for taking a shower in our own room... He was mad when we said that we were not paying him $40 to shower in our own room, so he decided to just not drive us to the airport. (He also didn't tell us that he wouldn't drive us to the airport). Luckily, his wonderful daughter in law found out how he was acting, and she came to pick us up instead. Steve was disagreeable and petty about numerous other things for the duration of our trip. In contrast, I can't say enough good things about his daughter and son (Quinten). We ended up booking a day trip through Quinten's company "Wet and Wild" tours, and had a fantastic experience. He was friendly and helpful, and we used his boat services almost daily to get to the other islands. If you are travelling to Aitutaki, I would strongly recommend staying anywhere except Rangui's Retreat. If I were to return to Aitutaki, I would stay at the "Aitutaki Village" that is just steps down the road. The beach is nicer and the rooms are newer. I will never give Steve any more business, and based on his behaviour I would not recommend this place to anyone.

6  Thank juliecanada2017
Reviewed 15 June 2017

The location was amazing. Get the bungalows with the view - it is worth it! Each morning, we woke up, grabbed a kayak and paddled around watching the sunrise. The area was so quiet but we felt it was the perfect location. We didn't use the pool but it appeared to be in good condition. The bungalows are a bit older, the beds aren't terribly comfortable, and the shower tests your patience but we would happily stay here again.

Koru Cafe is perfect for breakfast (went every day) and is just up the road from Ranginui's with wifi (for a fee). The Boat Shed was just a bit further and was perfect for dinner and drinks. We rented a car at Popoara, in the same building as Boat Shed, which allowed us to travel to the main area of Aitutaki.

With that, the attitude of the on-site manager, Lani, was not the most pleasant. After she had verified that she would be at the airport to pick up our luggage (I have the emails) as we were going on a lagoon cruise (Teking!) straight away, she was very rude to us and our tour guide and made us feel like we were putting her out and that we had not informed her this was going to be happening. Regardless, we apologized for any confusion there may have been. Thankfully, we had an amazing day with Teking allowing us to forget about the earlier interaction. During our stay (only 3 days), we only had to get help twice - once to rent a paddle board, and once to get a ride to the airport when we left. Each time, she was very vocal about her frustrations with the property owner, Steve, which was kind of awkward for us.

All in all, the manager was the only semi/non-existent issue we had with Ranginui's and I recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: Beachfront Bungalow furthest away from main office (no one walking in front)