We had been planning to come here for a long time and due to the high profile endorsement, particularly Katrina Rowntree through Getaway we didnt do a lot of research. With the amount of money we were paying per night, surely it would be pretty good right?! Wrong!
From the moment we arrived this place just felt so tired, run down and lacked any atmosphere! The staff look like they did'nt even want to be there, and were also not very helpful, knowledgable or didn't show any enthusiasm. The reception is boring and the entire place is lacking well needed maintenance and some tender loving care.
The rooms are ok but nothing more then that.The sheets and in particular doonah covers are something you would expect in a 2 star resort. No internal bathroom or shower, just an outdoor one that was outdated and lacked any pressure. The TV barely gets any reception and you have to pay for WIFI which is an absolute joke considering the rates we paid. Even then it doesnt work that well.
The seats around the resort and old and faded, the plastic chess pieces on the beach actually brake when you pick them up and were full of water. There are no lights around the resort, or lack of, and its difficult to see when walking around at night. The outdoor spa near the restaurant was not even working and we were told ' oh its broken weve been trying to fix that for a while now. Don't think about buying anything from the tiny shop there either. We bought a can of aeroguard which cost $22! Daylight robbery.
And the food! The worst we've ever had. The tropical breakfast was appalling, both in quality and variety. My wife wen without breakfast on the 2nd morning, and the third we went up to the local cafe off the island to finally get something half decent. I will leave it at that. The one place you can eat at for lunch and dinner is also terrible. The lunch menu is like a run down pub menu, and the dinner is only slightly better. The menu's themselves are in old crappy folders in plastic sleeves that look like they havn't been changed in 5 years!
The property managers have a huge task trying to save this place. Obviously some rich owner is making a fortune because there is no money being put into this place.
The property managers will no doubt respond to this review to try and disagree but read the other very similar reviews to ours. We dont mind paying good money for good quality and have been to many 5 star resorts in Fiji, Maldives etc and we are dumbfounded how this resort is classed as 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only private island, adults only resort in the Cook Islands. It is the only Cook Islands resort to offer that invention of incurable romantics - the Overwater Bungalow. And it is the only resort on Aitutaki with a truly Polynesian flavour, so you can truly savour what the South Pacific is famous for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aitutaki Lagoon Hotel Aitutaki
- Aitutaki Lagoon Resort And Spa
- Aitutaki Lagoon Resort & Spa South Pacific
- Lagoon Resort Aitutaki