“Not recommended. Negatives outweigh the positives.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green House Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Green House Hostel
Los Angeles, California
“Not recommended. Negatives outweigh the positives.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

An interesting layout. There is a huge open space that all of the rooms open onto. It is covered but yet open to the outside at the roof line. Furniture and plants are scattered about. You feel like you're outdoors but not. Very comfortable. However, it's noisy. The street in front has non-stop bus traffic. Also, the room we were in (#13, double with private bath) seems to have a family living on the other side of the wall which we could hear quite clearly. Conversation, water running, dog barking, etc. and one night screaming, yelling, bumping furniture, apparently some type of domestic disturbance. Another night, two of the other guests were talking very loudly with their door open until very late.
Our room was clean and comfortable, however, the shared kitchen was not so clean. You can find quieter and nicer accommodations elsewhere for the same price. For example, we moved to Casa del Parque, across the street from Parque Nacional. Very nice, much quieter, same price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank specialklc
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toccoa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

My husband and I who are middle aged stayed here during their slow season. There were only a few people there and we enjoyed it very much! Orietta and Luis are very helpful. They speak English which was quite helpful to us as our Spanish is not good. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast of toast, fruit and coffee was good. There wasn't a fan but when we were there we didn't need one as it was cool. We felt safe walking around and it is close to Downtown.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

stayed here for one night with my boyfriend the night before we had to get to the San Jose airport. We were looking for somewhere that was cheap but also comfortable. The hostel isn't bad for that purpose.

pros:
- good location. there are at least 3 nice restaurants in close walking distance. Taxis are everywhere if you need to go further and a taxi to the central area of San Jose was about $1-2, 5-10 mins depending on traffic.
- good price. $35 for 2 including a small 'breakfast'
- friendly and helpful staff. They are willing to arrange an airport taxi for you or anything else you need (like car rental). They even let us check out really late in the afternoon since our flight was at 7pm!
- there is also a nice sort of open air indoor courtyard. added a nice touch to the place which might otherwise be a bit drab.

cons:
- sketchy characters come out in the late afternoon/evening time in that area. Enough graffiti and stray condoms on the streets to make me seriously wonder if I really was staying in a safe place!
- weird noises at night from out on the streets.
- 'breakfast' is 2 slices of bread, jam, butter and tea/coffee.
- cleanliness in my room was average - the sink and bathroom looked like they could have cleaned it a little more thoroughly... Also had a very leaky sink.

summary: I would stay here again, but not for a long time. It's comfortable enough for a short stay but not for more than 2 or 3 nights. I also probably would not want to stay here by myself!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bluefields, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

I stayed here for just two nights. I did not have my alarm clock and needed to catch a bus to Nicaragua. The very friendly staff called all of the bus companies for me and woke me up in the morning so I would not miss my bus. Plus the breakfast was great. Need more people here though so bring your friends and have a blastªª You will love it here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

My one night reservation turned into a 5 night stay in a private room at Green House Hostel. As it is the rainy season, there are not many tourists so the hostel was pretty quiet most of the time. Of course there’s some noise from the street and you can hear babies and the dogs next door, but that’s just what you’re going to find at any hostel in San Jose.

The atmosphere was chill and relaxing. I spent a lot of time in a hammock in the open air “courtyard”. There are lots of plants, tables, chairs and benches around, making it a nice place to hang out. There are also a few exercise machines if you’re into that.

The owner is very kind and helpful. She speaks English and her sons also speak English well. The rooms are cleaned daily and whatever they use to clean smells wonderful. The white towels and sheets are very clean. The bed and pillows are comfortable! My shower was great, especially for a hostel. Good water pressure and hot! I could get a low wireless signal in my room and a good signal in the courtyard area. I felt very comfortable leaving valuables in my room. Breakfast was included – coffee or tea, juice, toast with butter and jam, and sometimes some fruit.

The location is ok. I didn’t go out too late at night though (I’m a young woman traveling alone). I felt very safe inside the hostel. There are some stores and restaurants and even a skate park (for skateboarding and rollerblading) nearby. It’s about 5 or 6 blocks from the Teatro Nacional (downtown area) – a short walk to get to anything you need. There are a lot of bus stops close by as well.

Overall, I highly recommend this hostel for a relaxing stay in San Jose. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo