All reviewsdouble bedhome away from homerooms are cleanbreakfast includedperfect locationfelt safedental workcosta ricaairportadventurerefrigeratorloungeneighborhoodtours
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Pros: Low price, hot water, friendly staff, hanging out in the inner courtyard/garden, free wifi, convenient location (to Sabana Park, downtown, bus lines)

Cons: Poor mattresses/sheets/pillows, community kitchen on the scuzzy side, large hostel so communal fridge is risky (expect your stuff may be jacked)

All in all, you get what you pay for and the price is really great for San Jose. But I'm probably getting a little too old for the quality provided by a hostel (even in a private room). It was fine, but I'll probably try something else next time. The inner courtyard is really great, though!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R S
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Mi Casa Hostel is terrific; convenient to downtown, in a quiet neighborhood, walking distance to several restaurants, delightful staff who are extremely helpful, very clean rooms, coffee and pancake breakfast included (save a bit for the 4 resident small turtles that will greet you at the breakfast table), internet access. About a buck or two for a bus to/from the airport.

We were in San Jose for dental work (Excellent quality work and nicely priced, compared to U.S. prices) and this was an excellent and convenient location to be in. Between appointments, we took a bus to Puerto Viejo and stayed at the Mi Casa Hostel right on Cocles Beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dennis B
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Mi Casa hostel is your average hotel with above average customer service. The rooms are basic and kept clean. The hostel offers a community kitchen and lounge area which are also always clean and taken care of. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, often recognizing their patrons by name and going out of their way to accommodate them. This is my go-to hostel in San Jose because of its price, location, and facilities.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This place is a hidden gem. It's in a good location right next to the Sabana. The rooms and pancake breakfast are basic, but what makes this place worth the stay are the warm and friendly people that work there. My wife and I stayed here numerous times during our 2 years in Costa Rica and I cannot recommend this place highly enough (and we had a chance to try out several other competitive hostels). Yes, the internet doesn't always work perfectly all the time, but this is well overshadowed by the fact that every time I stayed here, I felt I was among friends and people that cared about me.

Whenever I come back to San Jose, I'll be staying here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor balcony are nice. I'd try avoiding the rooms closest to the kitchen for travelers talking late at night or getting up for breakfast early in the morning if you want more sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Ran into this Hostel my accident, but was a pleasant accident. They had a huge room for the two of us with private bathroom and hot water! was so good to take a hot shower, because apparently in C.R it is hard to get hot water. They gave us parking behind the gate and we felt secure. The breakfast was yummy , we had pancakes and coffee, was perfect to sit in the court yard and enjoy it.
The employees are friendly and very knowledgeable.
Close to San Jose downtown. across from beautiful park and the new stadium.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends