Mi Casa Hostel
HolidayInn.com
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
US$ 99
US$ 82
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
US$ 98
Barcelo.com
US$ 70
US$ 65
US$ 96
Cocoon Hotel(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$ 42
  • Breakfast included
Hostel Casa Colon(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$ 51
US$ 112
US$ 101
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate roomlovely courtyarddouble bedconvenience storehome away from homela sabanacable tvrooms are cleanbreakfast includedperfect locationfelt safedental workshort walkcosta ricadormsupermarketairport
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This place is a hidden gem. It's in a good location right next to the Sabana. The rooms and pancake breakfast are basic, but what makes this place worth the stay are the warm and friendly people that work there. My wife and I stayed here numerous times during our 2 years in Costa Rica and I cannot recommend this place highly enough (and we had a chance to try out several other competitive hostels). Yes, the internet doesn't always work perfectly all the time, but this is well overshadowed by the fact that every time I stayed here, I felt I was among friends and people that cared about me.

Whenever I come back to San Jose, I'll be staying here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor balcony are nice. I'd try avoiding the rooms closest to the kitchen for travelers talking late at night or getting up for breakfast early in the morning if you want more sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Ran into this Hostel my accident, but was a pleasant accident. They had a huge room for the two of us with private bathroom and hot water! was so good to take a hot shower, because apparently in C.R it is hard to get hot water. They gave us parking behind the gate and we felt secure. The breakfast was yummy , we had pancakes and coffee, was perfect to sit in the court yard and enjoy it.
The employees are friendly and very knowledgeable.
Close to San Jose downtown. across from beautiful park and the new stadium.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank crazchick23
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I've stayed here a few times and it's got positives and negatives

Positive:
Cheap(ish) for San Jose, $31 for a private, $14 for a dorm.
Good location (near the Sabana park)
Hot Water
There is always someone at the front desk, and it's an actual employee
Nice Garden

Negative:
The internet rarely works, and when it works, the wifi signal only hits the common area, the dorms don't get internet and niether do most of the private rooms.
The breakfast is pretty mediocre, pancakes everyday, never any fruit or anything extra, and it only goes to 8am
Not great security one you are in, everyone has access to the dorm rooms.
Not a lot of food options in the area.
Small kitchen area.
The mattresses in the private rooms are pretty awful.

All in all, if you have one or two nights to stay, it's fine, it's near the bus to the airport (about 5 blocks) but for an extended stay I'd find someplace with at least good internet!

Room Tip: If you're coming in a group ask for room 6, it has one double bed and two bunk beds and a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank minkys189
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hostel is in the perfect location, its off the main roads that lead into the center of San Jose so its a quiet place to stay yet its close enough to the center to get busses for further travel or to get to the airport (we paid $20 for an airport run in a taxi).

The staff are helpful and friendly with a lot of knowledge about the area. It is close to fast food restaurants (McD's, BK and Subway) and there is a small convenience store at the end of the street where you can pick up the basics.

The communal areas are kept tidy and are clean. There is free wifi in the main area and a pool table. It’s an excellent place to talk to other travellers.
The kitchen area is small but adequate, it has all the utensils needed to cook for yourself.

We had a double room (sleeps 3) with a private bathroom. The room was spacious and light with a ceiling fan. It was clean with fresh bedding and towels.
The shower/toilet area was small but clean and perfect for the time we were there.

In general there isn't much to say about this hostel, it hits all the things we were looking for in a hostel to spend a couple of nights before we advanced with our travels. You really couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed here for one night before heading out of Costa Rica the next morning. Because I flew out of San Jose International, it was pretty convenient. The taxi was under 30 dollars, and the staff were really helpful about getting me to the airport. The staff was very lovely in general. They are clear about giving directions and making sure that the hostel goers are content. I believe that they all speak fluent English.

The rooms are simple, but have all the necessities. Mine was a single for $30/15 colones, and it had a fan and private bathroom (they even decorated with a pretty little toilet paper flower). They provide towels, and there is warm water. There are cheaper rooms available with shared bathrooms, and "dormitory" rooms as well. There was a sweet spot with a hammock and a table with chairs outside, and they have pet turtles!

Though I did not use it, there is a kitchen, and anyone can use it. There is also a computer with internet. The location was good- it was a bit tricky to find, but it is a really pretty part of San Jose, right by the relatively new National Stadium. It's close enough to walk to a supermarket (there is a little general store that is a bit closer in the opposite direction).

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3- great for 1-3 nights for couples, or if you like to travel alone and have your own room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo