“Best ceviche I have ever tasted.”

8ctavo Rooftop Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #117 of 842 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Costa Rican, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 8ctavo Rooftop offers a combination of premium cuisine using only fresh and local ingredients, amazing views of the Central Valley and great music nightly.
Reviewed 26 October 2015 via mobile

I dined here with my husband last week. We both love ceviche and agreed that this was the freshest, most flavorful we have ever eaten.The yucca sticks with dipping sauces were also really delicious and the views of San Jose at night were incredible. Great wine list, too. Don't miss this fantastic restaurant next time you are in San Jose--you won't be disappointed!!

1  Thank MelWill5

Reviewed 26 October 2015

On my latest visit to Costa Rica i had the pleasure of dining at 8ctavo twice. Dinner was fantastic. We were wowed by the incredible views of the city. Our meal was great, flatbread pizza, Mac and Cheech, yucca sticks, and a delicious burger. The drinks were tasty and unique. We had kids with us who enjoyed the pizza and Mac and Cheech as well. The ambience is similar to a trendy locale in NY or Vegas, with a great place to come for drinks and DJ in the evening. It is a popular spot for night life in Escazu.

Brunch was incredibly flavorful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Chilaquiles, Arepas, and the cappuccino. A perfect place for a lovely brunch with great menu choices and a beautiful view.

Reviewed 1 September 2015

The view at nigh is breathtaking!!! A total experience with the food…We ordered appetizers and try everything, from patacones with mole to meat… amazing flavors! The service was fast and the waitress really helpful!
Definitely we'll come back!

1  Thank Shirleymaria
Reviewed 8 July 2015 via mobile

With a magnificent 360 view you can't stop if you are in the area! Drinks are reaaallyyyy good and I recommend Piña colada and mojitos. For food, everyone enjoyed their meal. I loved the octopus and the ravioli crayfish (they've pit lobster in the menu but it's actually crayfish) pasta were really tasty. Would have loved the crayfish to be tastier and more of it but it was a good meal! My colleagues ou had the steak we're very very happy.

2  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 16 June 2015

First let me say in the interest of full disclosure that the owner/general manager of 8ctavo restaurant is a friend of a friend, though I didn’t get to meet him on this trip before I ate and drank there, and have not been otherwise compensated for this review.

I have been coming to Costa Rica for over 20 years, and normally do not spend much time in San Jose, let alone Escazu, but was told by a San Diego buddy I should check out 8ctavo because it was nice. (Nice is an understatement.) 8ctavo is located on the 8th floor (rooftop) of the Sheraton Escazu, which itself is a very nice hotel. You are greeted by the hostess as soon as you walk out of the elevator and are escorted either to the restaurant or the bar. (I went to the bar because I wasn’t sure if I was going to eat or not.)

The bartenders were first rate in terms of service and making someone feel at home. 8ctavo had the usual selection of Tico beers, as well as “artisan” brews coming out of the nascent local craft brew scene. After a while, I decided I would try the Tenderloin, and it was one of the best steaks I have had anywhere in the world. (I was expecting a semi tough cut from a local cow, but these steaks must have come from imported beef, perhaps from Argentina.) The sauce that came with the steak was very unique, and the mushroom toping was very tasty. Obviously as much thought and care went into the selection of chefs as in the menu.

The rooftop layout at 8ctavo reminds me of the old W Hotel in San Diego, complete with large patio furniture, a dipping pool, and a fabulous view of the surrounding area. (To be honest with you I don’t spend too much time in these types of hip-trendy places these days.) Seems like it would be a great place to have dinner and drinks with a group of friends because of its location and atmosphere. (From what I could tell, gringos seemed to be far outnumbered by Ticos and other Spanish-speaking foreigners, so the crowd was probably mostly local.)

I will definitely return to 8tavo on my next trip to Costa Rica, even if I don’t stay at the Sheraton.

2  Thank Joe S