“Amazing Hotel!!”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Grano de Oro Hotel is an amazing place to stay. Although the location isn't the greatest in San Jose - it certainly is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in - I would definitely recommend it and come back.

The hotel looks like an old victorian home - and had a nice, European feel to it.
The rooms were very clean and the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. I would also highly recommend eating at the restaurant here, the food was absolutely awesome. We had breakfast, lunch, and dinner here and were impressed with all of them. It rained most of the time we were there, but we were still able to sit outside under cover in the courtyard for our meals.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and I spent a few days at Grano de Oro. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. The room (least expensive) was a decent size and very clean. The restaurant was excellent. My only complaint was that there weren't many other restaurants in the area, but once we discovered how cheap it is to take a taxi in San Jose, we were fine.

Reviewed 28 August 2010

We chose this hotel after reading the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed there on our last night before flying out very early the next morning to the USA. I thought the hotel was a lot closer to the airport, but it was a $20- $25 cab ride! We got to the hotel late, after taking the public bus from Manuel Antonio to the San Jose Airport (we were advised to get off there because the Coke bus station was too dangerous for two women at night). I was disappointed that the hotel wasn't as close to the airport as I thought. The restaurant was very, very nice-- but way too overpriced for what we wanted. there wasn't anything nearby we could go to. If you have an early flight out I'd recommend staying at the Hampton Inn right by the airport-- it is a little cheaper and has a free shuttle to the airport. I stayed there on my way into the country and it was very good.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Weez173
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We had a very, very early flight out the next morning (7:30 am) so we stayed at the Grano de Oro so that we would be close to the airport. Initially, we thought we would also like to check out San Jose itself, after spending 5 days in Jaco and 2 days at Arenal. Seriously, don't bother with San Jose, BUT if you need to be close to the airport, I would highly recommend Grano de Oro as a really nice oasis in the middle of a slum-ish city.

As for the hotel itself, its just fine. We got there at about 2:00 and immediately went to lunch at a nice little Soda around the corner which was delicious (Soda Tilapa, or something. Ask the hotel). Not wanting to leave the safe confines of the hotel again, we booked dinner at the hotel at 8:00, and went to our room to relax. There is free internet in all the rooms, which is a plus, but soon we were bored so we went to the roof deck to enjoy the hot tubs. These were really nice. But to be honest, there isn't anything more to do here.

There is a spa, but it is so small that it can only accomodate one person at a time so either you and your partner have to go separately, or no one goes. We went for the latter option. The hotel doesn't have any other entertainment (ie no pool table, ping pong, etc). So we ended up buying a pack of cards in the gift shop and playing cards and drinking in the restaurant for a few hours before dinner time. It was fine. Knowing the surroundings of the hotel though, I would have appreciated some additional in-hotel entertainment.

As for the room, it was fine. We got the standard room, which was a little small but as we were only staying there one night it was good for us. One pet peeve of mine though was that the hotel did not give you your own soap, shampoo, or lotion. Instead, they had gym-style dispensers on the wall of the shower. I mean really? I know this is a way to cut costs, but it just comes off as tacky in a hotel set inside a victorian style mansion.

Lastly, the dinner. Oy. I wonder if people rating this food have ever eaten anywhere else. The food is okay. We ordered the tasting menu ($65/person) and it was certainly nothing to rave about. My dishes were fine, but my partners were pretty close to terrible. The wine list was also extremely overpriced, and it was $7 per small bottle for bottled water. We remarked during dinner that we should have gone back to the Soda.

One extreme possitive, was that the staff was very friendly and overly helpful. Their front desk is staffed 24/7 and they really do everything possible to look after your every need (including pulling your car around front, greeting you with umbrellas at your car, etc).

Overall, it was a fine experience. This hotel I'm sure is 5 star for San Jose, but for real life, it doesn't meet that high of a mark.

4  Thank Jenasurp
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed at the Grano de Oro due to having an early flight out. What an unbelievable, unexpected treat! The hotel is beautiful and quaint. The surrounding city is sketchy but the hotel is a nice little oasis, we felt completely safe and we loved the charm of the hotel.

You absolutely MUST try the restaurant. It is advertised as one of the best in San Jose and it lives up to its reputation. I'm not one to be overly impressed by food, but the service was impeccable, the dishes were creative and flavorful, and the restaurant, like the hotel it is in, is exquisite.

We tried out the roof top spa/hot tub which was a nice way to relax at the end of our trip. If you are looking for a place to stay the night you arrive or the night before you leave Costa Rica, I'd highly recommend this hotel.