“Perfect hotel in the heart of San Jose.”
Review of Hotel Presidente

Hotel Presidente
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Atenas, Costa Rica
“Perfect hotel in the heart of San Jose.”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We spent a week at the Hotel Preidente. It is small but very special. Located right on the central avenue pedestrian boulevard. Hotel is upgrading the rooms with wi-fi. They were able to put a router in our room because we have IPads. The staff is friendly and always willing to help.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Howard P
KCarterL, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear Guffeyman.

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad to hear staff was willing to help. We hope you can come back to visit our city and hopefully be able to use the new WiFi. At your service,

Katherine Carter
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed here the first three nights of my trip. It is wonderful hotel, very centrally located. For those that may be concerned with safety, both sides of the lobby are guarded. I never felt unsafe, either in the hotel or walking around San Jose (although I didn't do it in the evening other than walking to the retaurant). The staff was very friendly and helpful. If you are arriving into San Jose in the evening, have the hotel pick you up. The price they charge is only a little more than a taxi. I had read that it was about $25 for a cab, the hotel charged $30. For the extra $5, the drive was waiting, we didn't have to hassle with the onslaught of cabbies and there was much appreciated bottled water waiting for us. After a long flight & customs - it was the best $5 I'd spent in a while.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear IxChel33,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We had been sending drivers with cold bottles of water to wait for our customers for a long time and this is the first time I hear that was useful so good to know and so, we will continue sending them. San Jose as any capital city must be strolled taking care of all your belongings, but it is not a violent city so great you enjoyed the time in the city. Be welcome any time soon! Cordially,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We didn't plan to get to San-Jose in our trip, but our backpacks got stolen with all of our money and travel documents, so we had to get to the capital. Hotel Presidente was our favorite place in San-Jose. Rooms are nice and clean, very good breakfast to start the day, and free internet. It's one of the few places you can feel safe in San-Jose, and they have secured parking place. To top it all - the staff is very nice and helpful, especially the hotel manager Katherine who helped us arranging our documents and money, so we could continue our trip. When she heard we are on our honeymoon, she immediately upgraded our room to the honeymoon sweet, with no charge. The hotel also have prime location, in the center of city, not far from the national theater, and have good restaurants around.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi Adi&Sheyla,

It is nice hearing from you, thanks for the nice review. I hope at the end of all, you keep more good memories of your honey moon that bad ones, it was a real pleasure being of help. Believe me, we enjoyed your smiles, just as you did with the Suite upgrade because it was embarrassing hearing a foreign honeymoon couple on that situation. Hope you a happy and long live together!

Katherine
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I don't have nothing bad to say about this place, me am my new wife stayed there at the end of our honeymoon the day before departing Costa Rica to the U.S. I thought for the price the room as a bit empty in decore, but other than that everything else was great. We stayed at the Grand Spa King, great bed, great bathroom, the couch no so much. We love the location, right on Avenida Central, so everything you needed was within walking distance...Lots of parks and plazas close. The staff was more than great, free buffet breakfast was great. Free Parking...Like I said, my only problem, but I wouldn't call it a problem was the room decor and the sofas not being comfortable... but this are things we can live with. Another plus for this hotel, the Balconies, they weren't huge but enough to stand out there looking at the beautiful city...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morsisuyo
Dear Morsisuyo,

Congratulations on your wedding, I am glad our hotel was part of your honeymoon and the experience was good. Your suggestions are really appreciated, décor and more comfortable coaches for sofas are now on my list of “to dos” for next room improvements. My best wishes,

New Lebanon, New York
Reviewed 24 January 2012

First of all this was my favorite Hotel in San Jose. The open air restaurant with thousands of people walking by in the morning was a kickstart to the fabulous experience downtown. This restaurant is now gone and will be leased out to a cell phone store (yeah). I was also told that only family members were allowed to my room. I wish this hotel had updated their website about the restaurant. The amount of people there were about half as normally should of been there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing Avenida Central.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank jamesm779
Dear james m,

I am sorry you liked it more before and I know we have guests that miss the old restaurant, but changes were evaluated to fulfill the needs of a majority, most of our customers are out of the hotel during day time on the adventure or nature tours –maybe that is why you felt there are less customers- and come back at evening willing to know the city so most of them eat out. Under that scenario our food and beverage operation is focused on providing a real good free buffet breakfast that can be enjoyed by all, although lunch and dinner is also available at the new Cafeteria, that was set up close to the lobby to provide people converging. All updated information can be found on our website since May 2011. The same happened with visitors policy, we must establish that only guests can be welcome to room areas as our desire is to provide a family and respectful atmosphere and many of the visitors did not let us run the hotel that way, so the new policy was implemented and posted on Internet channels. Thank you very much sharing our hotel was your favorite and for the continuous patronage during the past years, I hope you can also enjoy our new facilities. At your service,