“Stinky Room”

Ranked #24 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
New York City, New York
“Stinky Room”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I arrived late on a Saturday night and I was leaving early in the morning. Otherwise, I would have asked for another room. It had a bleach plus something else odor. The windows don't open & the AC didn't help. The bathroom was brand new & nice. The room, nothing special,
Breakfast was $15.00 pp. All I wanted was coffee & it was $2.00. This price in a coffee producing country. Absurd. I told the nice waitress that I didn't want it. She let me keep the coffee without charge.
The customer service was very good & check in was quick. The doormen polite. I would have to say the staff is their strong suite. btw, even the breakfast area in the Lobby had the "odor"
I sat outside on a bench to drink my coffee & wait for my ride. I paid $90. for the room with a United Airlines discount.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sylvia M
norman2, Management Company at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We wish we could have done a better job with your experience and are very sorry your room had a strong odor. We would have been happy to have moved you to another room. Unfortunately with a high rise hotel, for safety reasons, the windows do not open but we can appreciate your discomfort with not being able to get any fresh air. We are not sure what odor you noticed in the room and the lobby as we don't get complaints about "bleach odors". As for your coffee, we do offer complimentary BRITT coffee in our guest rooms so our guests can fresh brew their own coffee in the morning. We are glad our staff was friendly and helpful during your stay and we hope you will stay with us again!

Pura Vida!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kent, Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed there at the beginning and the end of our trip to Costa Rica. We were impressed with this hotel, our room super clean and with a fantastic view, the staff very polite and helpful. One of the nights we ordered Tipical Costa Rican food from Room Service. Everything Perfect, the food really yummy and the Room Service Attendant was professional and friendly.
The breakfast included a lot of food, buffet style. We booked earlier and we got a good rate for the room. Not Expensive.
If you travel to Costa Rica, and you need to stop at San Jose, keep in mind this Amazing Hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
norman2, Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit at our hotel and we hope to see you again soon!

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We spent three nights here and was very impressed with this hotel in downtown San Jose. Its facilities are very nice and the service great. We were always greeted by Rinetta and David at the front desk or upstairs on the executive floor, and their hospitality and assistance could not be better! Convenient location to the (limited) sights, good breakfast buffet with the room, and nice snacks/drinks in the executive lounge. Everything works, so just relax and enjoy. The El Mirador restaurant is overpriced, but you get lots of atmosphere with the vista.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
norman2, Driftwood Hospitality Management at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very happy you had a wonderful stay with us! Our staff at the front desk was very pleased when we read your review to them!

We are working on improving El Mirador. The ambience is wonderful and with our new General Manager, we are improving every day!

Please come visit us again soon. Pura Vida!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Excellent rooms, views, fitness facilities, great for business and or leisure! In the center of San Jose! I truly enjoyed my stay specially with the awesome internet rates they offer. So if in business in San Jose, I highly recommend! Also walking distance to San Jose landmarks like the National Theater!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room for the best view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
norman2, Management Company at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for choosing us during your recent stay in San Jose. We appreciate your business and am very happy to hear that you enjoyed all of our amenities and great rates! Please be sure to stay with us again the next time you are in San Jose for business or pleasure!

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I was reluctant to book this hotel because I normally stay at one of two other franchise hotels, but the location and reviews sold me, so I took a chance. I was extremely frustrated with this hotel because I tried confirm my reservation twice prior to arrival and got no response. Both emails to the hotel went unanswered and I was not in a part of the world where I could call. Finally I was able to call when I arrived in Tamarindo for the first of two weeks I planned to spend in Costa Rica on vacation and they had no record of my reservation. Go figure. Then they said they found it, but completely disregarded the notes/special requests. Got it all straight upon arrival, but the hotel did not have shuttle service from Tobias Airport for domestic flights. I was just frustrated because it all could have been avoided if they communicated with their customers. Hotel lobby is gorgeous. Rooms are niced, although my room had stained carpet. Other than that, the facility was fine. The breakfast buffet was average. Mostly they served the same food every day. That gets boring and quite honestly the food wasn't that great. I went to buy a bottle of water one day from the restaurant and the lady immediately said they were $3.00 a piece. I half jokingly mentioned that I thought that was a little steep, but it must be some great water. She immediately adjusted he price to $2.00. I didn't appreciate that very much because I didn't expect the to receive the infamous "multi tiered" pricing at the Holiday Inn which is typically found throughout CR and is determined by your nationality? It seems like the rule is always to get whatever and as much as you can from the foreigners. The front desk folks are helpful, but act like they don't want to be. Bit of an attitude. The bell hops (in green uniforms) are very good and always willing to offer help or advice. They actually act like great concierge's. But the best employee at this entire hotel was by far a woman named Yoisi. If you order room service in the evening she will probably be the eager, bright faced, happy, delightful employee who delivers your food with a smile and friendly greeting. Quite refreshing compared to some of the other complacent employees working here. She should be promoted and put in charge of customer relations. She could certainly teach a lot of folks here something about customer service!! Incidentally, the best food I had he was through room service. Great tropical club sandwich!

Overall, my stay wasn't bad... It just wasn't great and was not what I'm accustom to. Too many glum faces looking at you suspiciously, not making the guests feel welcome. Great beds and pillows!

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm your reservation before you get here or you may be out of luck.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo