“A great place to stay”

Ranked #11 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
San Jose
“A great place to stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I was upgraded to a Premium suite. A really big room, comfortable bed with a new chocolate awaiting me on the pillow daily. Great view of the city from the window, helpful staff at reception. Overall, one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.
With that in mind, a few things to consider - the location is right in the city, which is not a safe place to hang around at night, there are also drunk teenagers around on an almost daily basis, so if exiting the hotel - it's usually straight to a taxi. so location-wise, it could have been in a better environment.
Also, most staff, like most people in San Jose, don't really know English. The people at reception however, do speak it, so it's not really an issue.
Overall, I very much enjoyed my time in the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Hola! thank you very much for your review, I´m happy to hear you had a great time with us.

I would only like to comment that is not exactly true that on a daily baisis you see drunk teenagers around the hotel..it´s true there is a nightclub close to the hotel but we don´t see drunk teenagers every night...this is my appreciation. But again, thanks for your nice review.

Esteban Oreamuno
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I read the reviews about the noise but booked it anyway. Not an easy hotel to get to, surrounded by one way streets it took me two pass by to figure it out. Secured parking and close to downtown. Check in was easy, restaurant/bar was nice (free breakfast). Got a room with a crappy view of an old building but it wasn't on the street side but at night I still could hear the traffic noise but it didn't keep me awake. It is probably a must to ask for a non street front room though. Room was good, bed was good and I would probably stay here again. It's by Wyndham but not the quality you would expect from Wyndham in the states. Paid a little less than $100 for one night.

Room Tip: Away from the street
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wbailey6
Greetings from San José,

Thanks for your review...we have a couple of rooms that look to an old building you are right, there´s not much we can do. Please note that we´re a different category from Wyndham Hotels, we´re a tier brand below Wyndham Hotels, this is the reason you pay only $100 instead of the regular higher prices of a Wyndham Hotel. Thank you very much for your review.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed here twice during our recent trip to Costa Rica and we were excited given the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, on both stays we encountered a number of problems. First, we arranged a transfer from the San Jose airport through the hotel. When we arrived, it took us nearly 15 minutes to find the man holding a sign with my name. The man then told us that our flight was very delayed, which is was not, and that we had to wait for awhile. After another 15 minutes, a van pulled up and the sign man ushered us into it. As the sign holder was closing the van door, he pressured us for a tip, even though he wasn’t even though he hadn’t done anything for us. This all seemed quite suspicious. The driver then crazily drove us to the wrong hotel; he unloaded all of our luggage onto a luggage cart and a bellman started to bring it inside while we plead with the driver to take us to the correct hotel. The bellman of the hotel eventually understood us and directed the driver to the Tryp Sabana. When we arrived, the driver did not know the agreed upon rate for our transfer.

Then we discovered the enormous problem with this hotel, a problem that has been mentioned many times before – the noise. We got literally 45 minutes of sleep because of it. The windows are paper thin and we endured the insufferable noise from the street and nearby businesses the entire night. We were so glad to only spend one night in room 712, a premium city view room on the front side of the hotel.

When we arrived for our second one-night stay, we immediately requested a quiet room. They said they were all full, so there weren’t any rooms on the back side of the hotel. Eventually, after some pleading, they assigned us to room 620. This room was one of the worst I’ve ever encountered during my travels. It was long, but extremely narrow and dark, the bed was in its own tiny alcove, and it was noisy, very noisy. Looking out the window, we realized where the noise was coming from – two enormous air vents right below the room that produced a constant droning sound. I have uploaded a picture of the vents.

The room only had a queen sized bed even though we had reserved a king, so we went back down to the front desk to be assigned another. They said they had us down for a queen, even though the paperwork I showed them said king. They said it was probably a computer error, but they did not apologize or try to offer any recourse. The hotel, they said, was fully booked up. After much arguing, they eventually located an accessible king room, number 621. It too was on the back side of the hotel directly over the air vents, so it was loud, but at least the noise of the air vents was more bearable through the night than the street noise.

When we came back to the front desk before we left, a woman argued that the reason we had been assigned a queen room was because we had reserved two rooms and not cancelled the reservation for one of them. I replied that I had, in fact, called the hotel as per their cancellation policy over 24 hours in advance to tell them that we would only need one room instead of two (one member of our party flew home early). She proceeded to argue in a condescending tone that we had not cancelled the correct way. How is calling the hotel to cancel a reservation the wrong way?!? She said I should have gone to the website to cancel. I told her that I had tried that, but because since both rooms were on the same reservation, I could not cancel just one of the rooms; I would have had to cancel both rooms and redo the reservation. She argued that the website was separate from the hotel, meaning that reservation changes have to be made through the website. After much arguing, they agreed not to charge us for the other room.

We were looking forward to the complimentary breakfast, but when we went the first time, they had very few options available. I guess it was too early. The second time, it was nearly impossible to find servers at breakfast to replenish items that ran out and I found numerous jam containers that were open yet put back with the new ones for reuse.

In conclusion, this hotel is reasonably clean and well-appointed with potential, but the low price does not make it worth the distress.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back side of the hotel over the air vents are still noisy, but its better than nois...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DrewP988
Dear DrewP988,

I´m very sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience in our hotel, I assure you this is not normal. I will immediately start an investigarion and see what happen and why your vacation was so negative in our hotel. We are already working on the noise......

I hope there´s something we can do to make your experience a little less negative..if you can email me at eoreamuno@trypsabana.com so we can communicate direct.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Good points. Clean, friendly, nice spacious rooms, good breakfast and evening meals.
Bad points. One side of hotel faces office block so 25% chance of office workers looking into room. Not a lot around hotel. Walk to centre half an hour. Disco music can be heard friday and Saturday nights. Our room quite noisy with generator outside.
Overall ok if passing through.

• Stayed April 2012
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Bluedook,

Greetings from San José, Costa Rica. Thanks for your review....didn´t our front desk staff pointed out the surrounding highlights? like the Costarrican Art Museum just 2 blocks? the Paseo Colón Main avenue? Sabana Park? I hope you give us a second chance so you can experience the interesting this to do around.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed just one evening with some girlfriends - staff was great and breakfast was yummy. They had wifi and free calls, which we made use of since we had been MIA in Manuel Antonio for the previous week. No complaints about this spot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
eoreamuno, Director of Sales at Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear nishi381, thank you very much for your comments, we are glad to hear that you had a good time in our property and enjoyed our food. Be back!