“Arguably the best restaurant you will ever go to”
Review of Isolina

Isolina
Ranked #38 of 696 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 32
Description: Isolina is modern gastronomy in a place with history. We have a constantly evolving menu. We also have a wine cellar that has a wide variety, and our Deli, where we offer takeaway products.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Im an avid foodie, passionate about all things gourmet. Isolina's chef, is creative, original, disciplined, detailed and has a wonderful approach to creating a classic and original dishes that are constructed with huge passion, skill and talent. I have lived in San Jose for the last 13 years and Isolina is hands down the best restaurant to have opened in years. Incredible wine cellar, attentive and knowledgeable owners, lovely garden. Chef last night talked to us for a while, and then treated us to sweetbreads. We shared half a bottle of Krug, a super tuscan, and i ate the Pate, then Confit of duck - easily the best i have had in years, my fiance had the Ceviche and a wonderful mushroom dish. Bottom line - this is the best restaurant in town - beats pescatore/ doris/ esquina/ and all the rest!

1  Thank pintamacha
Isolinaresta E, Gerente at Isolina, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Thank you very much for you review. We are improving ourselves with time, and comments like this are inspirational. Feel at home in Isolina whenever you come.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I went with my wife to celebrate our anniversary, we also happen to live 3 blocks from the place. Won't be making this a long post but instead will explain the good and back things so you can make up your mind and decide.

Good: the atmosphere is great, the place certainly has good vibes. People seems happy and employees have excellent mood. Also the owners are there making sure things run smooth and getting their hands dirty in all aspects of the operation.

Wine room was good, not impressive but good and different. One thing I was expecting was some sort of samplers. The owner knows quite a lot about wine which is good.

Food wise, the presentation is great. I would've never order sweetbread but my wife begged for it and so we got it and it was simply impressive.

Bad: Waitress wasn't well prepared even for basic questions. The place gets pretty busy, waitresses and owners try their best to be on everything but fail to do so since we had to ask for service several times. Don't expect to be spoiled. Service is plain and simple, bad considering that it is a find dinning place (pricey)

Food wise, DO NOT get the octopus! It was saggy and hard to eat. Told the waitress and she said -"Oh sorry, maybe the chef left it in hot water for too long. I'll give you a complementary for that"- but it never arrived :( we weren't expecting anything either.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

It was my first time at Isolina and this is a serious candidate for top culinary option in the east of San José. Creative, cutting edge menu with amazing textures and flavors (loved their mollejas) and awesome cocktails (gin and tonic & grapefruit... a winner!). Superb ambiance. Non pretentious yet sophisticated! Worth every colon we invested in this experience!!!

Isolinaresta E, Gerente at Isolina, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you very much for your time and your review!

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Everything about this restaurant is just wonderful! Me and my two friends were hungry and it was quite late at night already. Strolling through the Escalante area of San José we stopped at this place, which had also been recommended to us by a local friend, to take a look at the menu. Right from the first second we felt so welcome!

The owners Manual and Fernando, two brothers who have lived in Argentina and Brazil before, heard us speaking Portuguese and welcomed us in the most friendly and irresistible way (in fluent Portuguese), saying they would normally close in about an hour, but we were welcome to come in and they would be happy to stay open for us (not in a desperate way at all, the restaurant was still almost full at that time). They explained their dishes and their wines to us, and we enjoyed the tasteful decoration of the restaurant, all the while listening to Brazilian music. Manuel helped us chose a great bottle of wine (I was never a big fan of Pinot Noir, but that one was really amazing) to go with our choices of food.

And then my dinner arrived, Fernando's recommendation: confit de canard on potato puree, crispy baby corn, and a reduction of caramelized honey. The juicy and tasty meat fell off the bone by itself, and the skin was crispy and light. Just perfect! My friends both had linguine with seafood, which was also very tasty. But I simply couldn't think of anything else but my duck. It was soooo good!

The service was impeccable, and the whole team gave the impression of being a group of friends rather than two bosses with their employees. After dinner we had a grappa, which was also very well selected.

Our evening was not cheap, but I would go to Isolina again any time, and I would recommend the confit de canard to anyone who likes a good duck dish.

1  Thank NOYBTALMA
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Good restaurant with great ambiance. The cave is the originality of this place with variety of wine from many countries. We had the ceviche, pate, fish soup and the vegetable plate and all tasted great. The service was extremely fast.
The only negative might be that the menu had few alternatives.

1  Thank Istanbulapt
Isolinaresta E, Gerente at Isolina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Thank you very much for your time for this review. Your experience help us to learn every day. You are welcome.