All reviews spring fed pool spice farm costa rica zip lining scott waterfall adventure porch trees animals
Reviewed 3 October 2016

We only spend a day at the Hot springs lodge, so wish we could have stayed longer, the hotel, personal and just everything was just outstanding. Worth every penny!
The drinks and food are well worth the money you spend. The views are incredable. The wild live is just there. This is paradise in Costa Rica.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Claudia W
Reviewed 20 July 2016

I had the pleasure of staying two nights at Hot Springs Lodge. It is located on some of the most breath-taking property I have ever seen. Now, keep in mind that you will not have air conditioning (fans in bedroom) and it isn't like staying at an all-inclusive resort in Costa Rica, but I believe I left with more special and beautiful memories than I've had at many fine resorts. The lodge is a fully sustainable facility--solar power, filtered water from nearby mountain spring, and foods grown locally. Scott Nieminen is one of the kindest and most accommodating host you will ever meet. Scott truly went out of his way to make sure each of us had a positive experience. He even drove the airport to make sure we all got on the plane back to San Jose okay. The food prepared by two local residents was amazing. I will never forget sitting in the rocking chair on the back porch watching numerous humming birds feeding. There were so many of them at one time they created a beautiful sound. The walk thru a portion of the rainforest was also an unforgettable experience. I hope one day to return with my husband. If you are looking a place to relax, enjoy the beauty God has created, you simply must spend time at Hot Springs Lodge.

Room tip: Bring your camera because you will definitely want to take lots of photos!
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank scaruso730
Reviewed 8 July 2016

I had the opportunity to stay at the Hot Springs Lodge on a trip with Trades of Hope to meet our artisans that we partner with in Costa Rica. We empower women out of poverty by selling their items in the US made in third world countries, such as Costa Rica.. Scott (owner) hospitality was over the top accommodating and made us feel like Queens! I was one of twelve Compassionate Entrepreneur women that he made sure we were well cared for, well fed and on time to every excursion.

The Hot Springs Lodge is so beautiful and peaceful. I was so excited when I received my room, the beautiful butterfly room(the morpho) tastefully decorated in yellows and blues. The welcome letter was so sweet. The star fruit and the coconut water divine. The meals and snacks prepared by Christian were so delicious, with a Cost Rican flare. The grounds are stunning with a spring fed pool, a rocky river leading to a waterfall and a swimming hole.

Jorge took all of us ladies on a hike through the rainforest, which was amazing. While hiking we picked the vegetation and had a wonderful salad wrapped in leaves at the end of our hike to the river. Thank you again Scott for setting this up for us and making our stay so wonderful. We saw so many beautiful butterflies, birds and vegetation on our hike.

It was so peaceful just rocking on the back porch, listening to the river and watching the hummingbirds at the feeders. Magnificent place to unwind, recharge and leave your cell phones and computers behind. There is very little wifi at the front porch " wifi café". Most of the lights are all on solar power and the fireflies light up the sky at night with the beautiful lanterns placed around the property. It is dark and quiet at night, with just the sounds of crickets and toads.

The Hot Springs Lodge is developing and soon to have more to offer, I cant wait to return with my husband for a relaxing get away. I am so glad that I was able to meet Scott and stay at their beautiful Hot Springs Lodge with my Trades of Hope sisters while visiting Seeds of Hope and the beautiful people in Costa Rica.

Room tip: The rooms by the river and the hummingbirds are more private. Rooms are themed by the animals of Costa Rica IE Morpho Butterfly
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2016

Starting with the positive: the property is lovely, with the highlight being a waterfall going into a pool that you can both swim in and jump off of. The owner made arrangements for a fantastic guide to take us to the hot spring. The food is delicious and plentiful. The negative: way overpriced. We were travelling through Costa Rica, staying at a wide range of hotels but even the nicest hotel we stayed in (which was very nice) was less expensive than our night at HSLCR, which was not that nice. (we were five people so paid $500). And the rooms were so uncomfortably hot I did not sleep- even when it was cooler outside, it didn't come into the rooms. Plus, the morning we were supposed to hike to the Hot Spring, which was the whole reason for our stay and which we had emailed back and forth with the owners about, we were told the pipe was broken and the spring was dry. We actually did the hike anyway and found the broken pipe, and it was the sort of thing that would have taken only an hour to fix if they had bothered to check the property before the day we arrived. I would not recommend a stay here.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank JJR15000
Reviewed 16 February 2016

We just returned from a full week at the Hot Springs Lodge. Here's what we experienced.

First, what it isn't. This is not a Ritz. If you're looking for a traditional five-star resort hotel, complete with gold trim, tuxedoed waiters, and duck a l'orange, don't go here.

Instead, this is an all-inclusive, rustic hunting-like lodge on the mountain; run by the kindest, most generous and helpful people (and dog!) you'll know. They've made it fully sustainable: generating their own electricity from hydro and solar power, filtering the water from the nearby mountain spring, using local ingredients for cooking, and generally keeping a minimal footprint out of respect for the land and its creatures. If you're looking for an eco-friendly, laid-back, off-the-grid experience, look no further.

Diane, one of the owners, wasn't there during our stay, but she helped with all of the arrangements via email and phone. Scott, her husband, was there throughout. He made sure we were well cared for, shuttled us around to excursions, provided advice and provisions as needed, and went wildly beyond the call of duty to keep us clean and comfortable while we were passing a stomach virus around the family. A sweet Tico named Cristian did all the daily cleaning and cooking, which was ample and fantastic. Rody, the friendly Rhodesian Ridgeback, lolled around on the porch and accompanied us on trail walks to make sure we were OK. There were hundreds of toads and lizards and hummingbirds and dragonflies and other critters of the forest making themselves at home on the lawn and occupying the kids.

The lodge itself is small and simple and clean, with homegrown touches and local decor. The grounds are stunning, complete with a spring-fed pool; hammocks; hummingbird feeders everywhere; a shallow, rocky river leading up to a waterfall and swimming hole; and a front yard tilapia pond for fly fishing. Our 8 and 9 year old boys spent much of the day catching fish, that Cristian deftly cooked up for our dinner.

Our activities included ziplining (it's worth splurging on the 1000+ meter "Superman" line), horseback riding on the beach, a sunset catamaran ride with snorkeling and water slides, parasailing from Manual Antonio beach, flora and fauna guided rainforest hikes, and waterfall rappelling. I also got a great massage on-site. When we weren't on the excursions, we fished, river-walked to the waterfall and swam, lounged on rocking chairs in the back watching the river rush by, swam in the rock pool, relaxed with one of the onsite board games, and napped the afternoon heat away. By the time the week was over, we were blissed out and sun-kissed, and hardly ready to face the 0-degree NYC weather again.

Thanks to Scott, Diane, Cristian, Rody, and crew for making our week so special. We'll never forget it, and hope to be back soon to see the new additions to the lodge!

Date of stay: February 2016