All reviewsrio tigrepoison dart frogscorcovado parkthe ownercosta ricahiking trailsbring enoughwaterfall swimlove natureamazing trailsunique placeflora and faunamaintained trailsscarlet macawsosa peninsulasurrounded by naturewatching the sunrise
Reviewed 6 May 2018

We stayed here for 3 nights, leaving on the first collectivo out on our last morning. It was a great experience and we saw animals on every hike we did. The best hike is definitely to the big two waterfalls, and we always saw poison dart frogs when going there.
We managed to get from san jose to the hostel in one day, which is a little difficult with connections. If you take the first bus from san jose at 6:30am to Golfito, you will have to wait an hour and a half for a boat to puerto jimenez, then you can either walk for tack one of the waiting taxis the short distance to the hardware store where the collectivo leaves from. It's then about an hour drive (as you drop off people on the way) to get to near the office. The bridge was out so we had to walk a bit, but we just made it in time to walk to the hostel in daylight (although it was raining pretty heavily). I would suggest bringing water shoes, as the chances of rain are high on any day.
Also bring plenty of snacks, we ran out on the last day and I ended up mixing some rice with some sour oranges they had, and some sugar. It was ok, but it would have been nicer to have something a bit less weird to eat.
Towels and sheets are provided (you make your own bed on arrival). we stayed in the double bed in the dorm, and it had enough privacy for our short stay (it also has a great view). I think they are building a new dorm building, and retiring the current one, which will be great since the current one moves a lot even when someone rolls around in bed.

Room Tip: The double in the dorm has a great view, and if the dorm is not full it will be private enough
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dev45
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed for three nights at the Bolita Hostel and we really loved it. The private doublerooms are open to the jungle but you still have enough privacy. The trails are great for exploring the surrounding of the Corcovado N.P. You will see a lot of different frogs, monkeys, the scarlet macaw and many other birds and insects. The accomodation is nothing for resort tourist but if you are able to life with a little lower standard you will love it. Just bring enough food and enjoy the time socialising in the community area!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2018

I just stayed here in April and had a wonderful time. I met Ron, one of the owners, but not the other owner Val. He lives across the street from the office, which is where you check in and is about a 30 minute (fairly steep and a bit strenuous) hike from the hostel. He was up at the hostel for most of my stay, very interesting to talk to and was glad he was around. He created the hostel and the trails for the love of it. You can hike in the rainforest and also in the Rio Tigre if there is good safe weather, which was really fun. I met the best people here as well, which made this experience what it was. It's immediately a family, which was especially great for me as a solo traveler. I made lifelong friends here (I hope).
There is even wifi.. not the strongest signal at times, but it works! Which in this day and age was critical for hashing out some of my upcoming travel plans while I was there.

Room Tip: Bring a headlamp, need to bring your food, and know that it's very very humid and you may not feel dry the whole time you're there.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Bolita is a gem in the rainforest. Sharing a boarder with Corcovado National Park, you get to see all of the same wildlife without the great expense. Trails are picturesque, well maintained, mapped, and signed clearly. Over the 3 days I hiked there, I saw white-faced capuchins, spider monkeys, toucans, macaws, poison dart frogs (to name a few), and an amazing variety of plant life. Ron (one of the co-owners) is enthusiastic about making sure you have the best time possible. I would recommend traveling to Bolita even if it is your only reason for coming the the Osa Penninsula.

Some notes before you head up to Bolita:
- You reserve your bed/room by emailing Val (the other co-owner) and letting her know your dates.
- If you arrive on a weekday, you can take the 'colectivo' from Puerto Jimenez for 2,000 colones (~ $3.75). Otherwise, it's a $21-25 taxi. The town is not populous, finding a ride to hitchhike will be difficult.
- Internet is limited (email is possible, but not streaming).
- There is cell phone service.
- Recharging electronics off of a USB plug is available.
- Gas stove kitchen.
- No refrigeration.
- Showers are not heated, but honestly, you wouldn't want them to be.
- Bring water shoes for the river hike.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Fraxinus_americana
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Easily the best value experience on the Osa Peninsula. Unless you are Coyote Peterson this is probably the first place you should go if you're looking to visit Corcovado. If you go on any other tour the pace will be brisk and you won't have as much time to enjoy the nature.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple