“Amazing yoga and surf retreat!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing yoga and surf retreat!”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My friends and I just returned from a week long yoga retreat at Anamaya and I have had a difficult time finding words to describe how amazing the entire trip was!!! Not only did our retreat to Anamaya allow us to escape the stresses our daily lives (if only for a few days), but the memories with the new friends we made, the staff at Anamaya and the people of Costa Rica will remain with me forever. The yoga was amazing (thank you Anne!), and the views were breathtaking...Last but not least, the food. The food was unbelievably fresh and good, and I have missed putting coconut milk in my coffee ever since! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nadia C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed at Anamaya during August 2011 for a one week Yoga & Adventure/Zumba retreat. It was beautiful and I'd definitely stay here again. Flew into San Jose and were told by Lia at Anamaya we wouldn't have enough time to catch flight to Tambo, although we would have. Waited several hours at the airport for a bus to ferry to Punta Arenas. That bus ride to the coast was one of the most terrifying adventures of my life. We were all convinced our bus driver was on a suicide mission and it was pouring rain to boot.
Bottom line: Lia the "reservations specialist" is a sweetheart but can be a ditz, you need to double check all travel arrangements made through the resort. It is not an easy place to get to but once you do, omg it is so worth it. We stayed in the Bali Cabina and it was stunningly beautiful. Too much to summarize so here are the big pluses and minuses:
Minus: For the prices they are charging, they can be just a little too laid back. You get the sense sometimes the staff is having way more fun that the guests and that you are an inconvenience to their chillaxin'. The casual atmosphere is fantastic but since people arrive different days of the week you can feel like a real outsider your first couple of days. Not all of their yoga teachers are up to par. The in-house teachers are great (Mandy, and the blonde who was pregnant at the time (Natalie?), wow) are outstanding. More modifications need to be given for beginners & various levels of issues like bad knees, etc. , it felt like little bit of an ego driven class at times. Also, dinner should be self serve family/buffet style like breakfast & lunch are. It was terrible to see food wasted with people who weren't hungry but were still served full plate of food. Need to concertedly accommodate non-seafood eaters with better protein options other than just the same vegetarian meals w/o protein, it's not like the price of the meal is being discounted. Overall food quality was very good and it's a great place to open your taste buds to new fresh local options, the cooks are wonderful.
Plusses:
Setting is STUNNING, there is not a bad cabin to stay in. Truly private and quiet. Staff works hard to make sure you are having a nice time. They are truly accommodating. Overall the plusses far outweigh the minuses and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Enjoy yourself at Anamaya!!

Room Tip: Bali Cabina overlooks ocean, Jungle Cabina is green paradise and quiet
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank TodoElMundo71
Cincinnati
Reviewed 2 March 2012

From the moment we arrived we were treated like family. We arrived quite early in the day, but we were told where we could change for using the infinity pool and outside spa. We were offered something to eat; and we were even offered a choice of various available accommodations. The room we ended up choosing was the Jungle Room. With glass walls on three sides, we could lie in bed and look into the forest and watch monkeys frolicking in the trees. The outdoor shower was also a special and romantic treat. Our room was serviced early each day, while we were having breakfast. The food served was all very healthy and tasty. I left the table satisfied at each meal; and when I got home I hadn't gained a pound.

Be sure to check out the local Farmers Market on Saturday mornings in Montezuma, do the Montezuma Canopy Tour, and check out the local beaches. Great food at Ylang Ylang Restaurant right on the beach.

Room Tip: Really enjoyed the Jungle Room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarolCincinnati
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I travel to costa rica every year, at least once. Costa Rica has gorgeous beaches, mountains, people and energy. There are a few stinkers here and there, but overall, you really can't go wrong. We just returned from a week long retreat at Anamaya and loved it. The views from the pool and yoga platform are incredible. We enjoyed the monkeys, birds, sunrises and gardens. The location in montezuma is prime, although not on the beach. You will see miles of coast line and endless bue seas from you porch. I loved the food....but i am part rabbit and love vegie meals. We also had some great sea food meals. Breakfast was awesome...and that costa rican coffee can't be beat. Anamaya serves it with coconut milk.
The Staff at anamaya are great. The on site office folks really worked hard to please us...not easy. We suggest the private boat to isle de tortuga, hiking to the falls, going on the beach, bakery and cemetary island tour - visit the marmalade lady! You will love Montezuma and Anamaya.

Room Tip: everything except the temple and the casita was awesome - a few flairs could make those rooms better...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ironcrowyoga
USA
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I've been to several yoga retreats, but this one doesn't even come close to any of the ones I've been to. Their idea of vegetarian food is to serve rice and beans everymeal. Hardly ever saw any real vegetables that weren't cooked so you couldn't tell what they were. They had good soups but always seemed to be squash. Portions were meger and I always seemed hungry. I really like sweets but didn't eat any of their deserts. Not tasty at all.

The person available when we checked in had absoluetely no customer service training and was very abrupt and impersonal. The room we were given had two bunk beds and was the size of a walk-in closet and was as how as a steam room. She said it shouldn't matter since we wouldn't be in out rooms very much. The person who did all the reservations wasn't there when we arrived and wasn't reachable by phone. When we get to talk with her she actied as she didn't care in t he least if we were happy or not. Almost all of the people who worked there acted that way; as if they didn't care what we thought.

There was no place to read at night as all the lighting was indirect and if you wanted to stay up past your roommates bedtime and went to the main building it was stifling hot. We didn't have water for showers the first morning and coffee was never available until right before our yoga class and it would run out before breakfast and not be available until a fter breakfast some days.

One excursion that was planned for us ($50.00) was snorkeling and the beach. The operators said no one from Anamaya told them what drinks we wanted so really all that was available cold was beer (I don't drink) and juice. No bottles of cold water were available. When we got to the beach we were told it cost $7.00 to sit on a beach chair and a dollar to use the most awful, dirty bathroom I've ever seen. We were not told to bring a towel to Anamaya and were not allowed to take the ones at Anamaya off the premises although they would be happy to sell you one. What a rip off.

I would leave my bottle of water in the freezer so I could at lest have some cold water available when I wanted it and they had the habit of "cleaning out the freezer" and throwing out the water bottles.

This vacation started off on a bad note with the accomodations not being what was expected and overpriced for what we got and ended on a bad note with Anamaya charging me for amounts that were not due and once again the person responsible for the reservations was again not available.

Their photos on the web show these beautiful rooms, but be careful- they only show one side of the room and don't let you know that there may be no closet or shelves or even much floor space. You'll have to live out of a suitcase.

The photos don't show you that the yoga space, outside sitting area, pools and the main building are crammed right next to each other so you have no privacy at all. There are not any other sitting areas to find any privacy. They make sure that you can't tell this from the web photos.

My overall opinion is very low. Absolutely no customer service. They're just out to make a buck and take advantage of the fact that we can't see what we are getting beforehand. All in all this was supposed to be relaxing and ended up being pretty stressful.

Room Tip: Ask for the actual dimensions of the rooms, what a typical mean plan is like, if there is mold on th...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
16 Thank YogaGirl99
Joseph-Anamaya, Owner at Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Hello TripAdvisor community. I’m Joseph Mikrut, founder, co-owner and president of Anamaya. Thanks for reading our reviews. This one in particular really came as quite a shock because it’s so contrary to the perspective and experience of our guests normally. For example, I get asked by the guests about 4 times a week if we will create a cook book because they love our food so much. Also, I hear time and time again that the website photos are nice but don’t even come close to the real beauty of the place. I see tears in people’s eyes every Saturday when their retreat is over and they are leaving their new family and friends at Anamaya.

I would like to sincerely apologize to you “YogaGirl99.” For whatever reason, despite our efforts we were unable to offer you the positive transformative experience that our guests usually have. I am especially saddened that your perspective is that we are “just out to make a buck” because that is far from the truth.

I know there is always room for growth, so we have taken all your points into consideration and will make any improvements possible so that these issues will not cause any problems in the future. We are committed to going the extra mile to accommodate every single one of our guests and provide the best experience possible.