All reviews monkey room park entrance friendly deer manuel antonio national park costa rica public beach other guests minute walk to the beach every morning ma park home away from home small hotel beach towels laundry service fresh fruit location was perfect hotel grounds
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

This was our first time in Costa Rica. We have been to quite and few places over 10 days and every place has its own charm. I picked La Posada because of its location to the nature preserve and the beach. I didn’t realize till I got there how extremely close to all of it it was! The park was literally right out the front door. You can see monkey and bird all around. Locals have shops with souvenirs set up right outside and my personal favorite, coco frio! There’s also a small grocery store right next door. They sell pretty much everything including liquor. Right across the street is a path that takes you right to the beach and also a bus stop to catch the bus back to San Jose! This place couldn’t be anymore convenient!

As for the place and staff itself, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful and spoke English very well. The rooms were very clean and the ac works really good which is a plus after a hot and humid day. Chairs and also a hammock on the private porch for your room. And I’ve never seen it before, but they also provided a flashlight and an umbrella in the rooms! They also have a pool and an outside rinsing shower. The breakfast buffet was really good too. Fresh fruit and coffee ready and then they take your order for fresh cooked hot food.

Best of they have a deer that comes around that you can pet and feed! She loves watermelon. We also had the opportunity to meet the owner who is so super sweet and nice. I had a really nice long talk with her over breakfast. I think anyone that takes the time to get to know you shows they are good people. This hotel had me sold on the friendliness, convince, and cleanliness. Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be back!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank wingingitwithwendy
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at La Posada for four nights earlier this month. Our room was clean and spacious, with a lovely bathroom. The hotel is right next to the park (literally less than 10m!); indeed we saw sloths and toucans in the hotel garden. Staff were wonderful, and food from the hotel excellent. Highly recommend!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank olliemumby
Reviewed 19 October 2018

Clean, welcoming, right at the edge of the jungle. Roger and Andi were wonderful.

If you're expecting the generic Marriott Courtyard experience, you'll be surprised. :)

It's right around the corner from a couple of markets--and walking distance to our favorite restaurant in Manuel Antonio, Baldi's Fresh.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Greg F
Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

We had a very similar experience with dishonesty as the reviewer who posted on January 24, 2018. Please bear with me - this is going to be a long one.

Twelve days before check-in, our entire stay was already charged to our credit card by the hotel without notification. We had not received our credit card statement yet, so we didn't see the charge.

The booking was made through Expedia over a month ago, at which time our credit card info was provided to Expedia (not the hotel) to secure the booking. The confirmation e-mail from Expedia clearly stated that we were to pay directly at the hotel.

At check-out we were told to pay for our stay by the front desk employee. We paid him in cash and never got a receipt (I know, big mistake, ALWAYS ask for a receipt!). When we arrived home two days later and saw our credit card statement, we called the hotel to verify with the employee at check-out that we had already paid in cash. He completely denied ever receiving cash from us!

A quick internet search revealed that this is a known type of hotel check-out scam: if the customer can't produce a receipt for the cash payment, the dishonest employee will pocket the cash and the credit card charge remains.

Called customer service at Expedia and were told there was nothing they could do because their records showed we paid only once by credit card. Called the hotel and asked to speak to the owner to file a complaint. Apparently it was not possible to contact him (?) because he lives in the United States, not Costa Rica.

We asked if there was a security camera at the front desk to show that we paid in cash, and were told there was no camera. This is rather odd because we stayed in two other hotels in Costa Rica of similar size/price and both of them had tight secuirty (cameras, locked front gate, owners on the premises to supervise staff). There were construction workers and bar patrons walking in and out of the hotel daily, so you would think they'd have a security camera at the front.

We filed for an investigation with the credit card company, but realistically we don't expect to get our money back.

We learned two important lesson here:
1. People can be super warm and friendly to your face but dishonest on the inside.
2. Always get a receipt for cash payments. We made it way too easy for someone to pocket our money.

If you stayed at this hotel recently, please check your statements/receipts to make sure you didn't pay twice. I doubt this happened only to us!!!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
11  Thank Steph C
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful place to stay. My wife and three kids stayed here for a week and did not want to leave! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very clean and the common areas were too. I particularly enjoyed be so close to the reserve as my family enjoyed it thoroughly. The excursions ziplining and out to sea were a dream. I can’t wait to go back and stay longer. Thank you for the amazing memories!

Date of stay: August 2018