“Great hotel for a romantic getaway”
Review of Makanda by the Sea

Makanda by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 October 2017

My wife and I spent 5 days at Makanda by the Sea and we truly enjoyed our stay. We loved that the hotel is in the middle of the jungle, giving us prime access to the surrounding wildlife. We had monkeys visiting our villa's patio every morning, or taking care of the entertainment while we were having dinner.

I was impressed by how clean everything was. The staff does a great job at keeping everything tidy, in addition to being very friendly and helpful.

The food in the hotel is excellent, better than the couple of places we tried outside of the hotel. The restaurant is designed to look like you're sitting on top of the trees and you can enjoy the environment (the surrounding jungle, and the ocean in the background) while enjoying a meal.

Overall, it would be very difficult to not recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
MAKANDAFAMILY, Management at Makanda by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Thank you for choosing our property and taking from your time to visit our profile.
Glad that you enjoyed our perfect combination between architecture-design-service-wildlife, besides the gastronomic offer of course. Our Chef and his staff work really hard and put a lot of love to very dish served.
We are already missing you and hoping that you come back soon.
Have a great and blessed day...

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Visited Makanda last month during a round trip through Costa Rica and was truly impressed by this amazing place!
Stunning views with amazing facilities. Great food, served by nice, friendly and helpful staff.
I can definitely recommend Makanda for a nice wind down when Staying in Manual Antonio!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing Makanda and visiting our profile!
We really appreciate your kind words.
It is such a blessing to have become a sacred spot for relaxing in this beautiful area.
Looking forward to your next visit.
Have a great and blessed day...

Reviewed 6 October 2017

I arrived at Makanda, and was taken to a villa that smelled like something had died in the pipes. The stench was horrible, until I got to change rooms to the one beside it that smelled so much better. I will say, the architecture is incredible, but thats it.

As for the food, The fish tasted like rubberl. Also, because of the construction and slopes, I saw a few guests fall down while walking to their rooms. Yes they have golf carts, but I was scared for my life the first two nights and couldn't sleep because the golf cart driver literally harassed me and said I had a nice butt, and would wait for me after his shift ended at 9pm so he could take me to town.

I literally could not sleep because I was all by myself and the hotel gets super dark at night with no lights so you will have to use your cell phone flashlights as you walk down and up the steep slopes.

For the price, the hotel is not worth it. And the food is overpriced. I had to pay $23 for nuts which I didn't even eat and that was charged to my bill. Oh well... never again will I visit. I will definitely do a review on instagram.

I also hope the owner will stop harassing me and my fiancé anymore and threaten me about my green card status because of the review. Be a little more professional. If it keeps up, I will be reporting You and your friend to the authorities for Harassment.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Rebekah R

Dear Rebekah Litch,
Please allow us to remind you a few interesting details of your stay with us:
- You stole a credit card from a male companion you shared a room the first night with. He then moved out to another room for the rest of the stay. You tried to put all charges for your room on his credit card without him knowing (we have a written report from him). Regardless we would have not charged his credit card without his signature and/or authorization; he had to report his card stolen just for security.
- When that didn’t work, you sneaked out of the hotel without checking out neither paying your bills (we have a security video available).
- Then you were hiding at the airport being afraid of the police (as per report of your friend).
- Ignored our messages and then blocked us in social media. You want to called this harassment; we were just trying to collect the money.
- Got mad when we found your fiancé (not the one you were staying with) and asked him to reason you to pay your bills, which he did (we have communication with your fiancé on record).
- Then after finally being charged you wrote a review with these made up stories.
The only question is - why would you do this to yourself?

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

The perfect place for the honeymoon. We chose Makanda by photo in the Web, but reality exceeds all our expectations. Modern, stylish, with stunning ocean view and wild beach. Excellent service and cuisine. We didn't want to leave. Couple advices.
Before you go to the beach make sure about the time of a tide
Ask golf car driver about the home tree of the Sloth. Driver always stays on top.
Happy hour is 4-6 every day.
General advice: relax and rest in pura vida style. Hotel Makanda is perfect spot for this. Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
MAKANDAFAMILY, Management at Makanda by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Stanislav, thank you for choosing Makanda for such a special occasion and visiting our profile.
We are glad that you had a nice stay while enjoying the perfect combination between great design, excellent staff and wildlife.
Looking forward for your anniversary visit ;-)
Have a great, blessed; long life together!

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Let me just say that this hotel is beautiful! My boyfriend and I came here to celebrate our anniversary and we stayed in the ocean deluxe suite. I am here to tell you the best time to visit here is during off season (rainy season) because you practically have the whole place to yourselves. The views here were spectacular we were both so in shock the details this hotel had an that wherever you walked, lounged, or ate you had a gorgeous view. Not to mention the wild monkeys swinging above you while in the pool. Some awesome features about this hotel is that it is adult only and there is two beaches you can walk down to...there is a beach with no waves and one with waves (so something for everyone) my boyfriend surfs so he was a veryyy happy camper! He was out there everyday. Such an awesome first experience for us both to Costa Rica!! Thank you Makanda for a great stay we will be back again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank briannabarteky
MAKANDAFAMILY, Management at Makanda by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear Brianna,
Thank you for choosing Makanda and visiting our profile.
We really appreciate your kind words, our staff enjoyed taking care of you and we all miss you already.
Looking forward to host you again for your second, third, forth... time in Costa Rica ;-)
Have a great and blessed weekend...!!!