New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and up
ATV Full-Day Tour in Jaco
Ranked #1 of 75 Outdoor Activities in Jaco
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse riding Jaco Costa Rica. Discovery horse tours were awarded a "Certificate of Excellence" in the Trip Advisor awards 2011,2012 and 2013. If you want an unforgettable tour (tours duration ranges from 2.5 hours up to a full day, or a full week!) through the rain forest, on the beach or into the mountains Discovery Horse Tours are total equine professionals. Renowned for making sure the horses as well as the clients have a fabulous time they are "so much more" than just a horse tour! Specializing in small groups of no more than 8 people (4 on the beach)your tour will always feel personal. Located on a stunning 1500 acre private rain forest reserve, you will share the trails with no one but the wildlife. You will LOVE the horses who are safe, fun and most importantly happy and incredibly well cared for. Ride through pristine rain forest to the secret spring fed waterfall, or gallop along the deserted beaches. If you are on Honeymoon check our website for details on your private rain forest adventure with champagne and a private mud bath. No experience necessary. Beginners will feel secure,confident and in control. Experienced riders can enjoy the thrill of galloping our fit and healthy horses across the open hay fields. Consistently described as "The highlight of our trip to Costa Rica". Famous for the love of their animals, customer care and attention to detail; you will love your time with Discovery Horse Tours! All our horses are trained using Parelli Natural horsemanship, they are treated with respect, dignity and love, we take our time to match clients with the right horse making sure they have a wonderful time.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highest Quality Horse Back Riding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

It's amazing that this company rescues all of its horses and turns them into happy, healthy and well trained horses. Julia, one of our guides said, "a happy and comfortable horse, makes for a happy and comfortable rider," she was right! The ride was beautiful on the farm, and the mud baths are awesome.

Visited June 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Rumson, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best Horse Tour Ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I have been lucky enough to have been able to experience several horse tours with Discovery Horse Tours. The tour of the jungle/farm area was spectacular, ending with the most amazing mud bath in a tropical waterfall. The owners, Andrea and Chris Wady were so informative and knowledgable about the fora and fauna of the jungle and then so wonderful having prepared a cool fruit snack and drinks at the waterfall, I felt like I was in paradise!
I have also been on a beach tour with Discovery as well. It was also amazing and beautiful. Luckily the tide was such that we rode at the end of the day, watching a beautiful sunset the whole way back to the farm. We rode to a small little restaurant where we enjoyed a cold beer and nachos. We were able to gallop a little along the wide stretch of open beach.
I think the most wonderful part of Discovery Horse Tours is the care and love that Andrea and Chris have for their horses. I own two horses myself and was so pleased and surprised by the unbelievable great condition and temperament of their horses. You can tell by the superb condition and their willingness to work, their horses are well cared for and treated very humanely.
I highly recommend booking a tour with Discovery Horse Tours when you are in Costa Rica, there is no other tour that comes close to what you will experience with Andrea and Chris!
Ann Jordan

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Ann J
Nueva Ocotepeque, Ocotepeque, Honduras
“Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was appalled when I emailed for a horseback tour and received a quick response implying that the tour would be possible the next day. Unfortunately, 10 hours later, I received another email informing me the slots were now full. This left me with not enough time to arrange an alternative tour or make new plans for the next day. She gave no explanation of what happened, and offered a tour time for the day after. Only an hour later (not enough time for me to have checked my email and confirmed the tour time) she wrote again, telling me the other time was also filled and offered me a time after my departure date from Costa Rica. I felt this entire interaction was incredibly rude and unprofessional. She should have informed me immediately if the plans were not possible, and she should not have offered another tour time if it wasn't actually available.

Visited June 2012
Discoveryhorse, Owner at Discovery Horseback Tours, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
I am sorry you felt you were given poor service, and wish to point out that you had only made an email inquiry requesting information and NOT making an actual booking. At the time of emailing you and stating that we had spaces for the next day, we did indeed have spaces, by the time i got your next email those slots were already filled. We had 2 spots left for the next day of which i informed you. We can not hold slots for someone who may or may not email us back with a firm booking as we get many many emails a day, some people book and some people do not. The slots got filled one hour later so i made sure to come back to you as soon as i could to update you and offer you an alternative day and time. We are a small business with only 6 slots available on the tour so they book up incredible quickly. Some times we do not have spaces for up to one week ahead. I feel sad that you have reviewed up so poorly when you did not even make the tour. When you live in such a beautiful paradise as which we share with our clients internet reception is patchy at best, as i pointed out in the email it would be better with short notice to book a tour via the telephone.
Esterillos Oeste, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun & Informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband, daughter and I recently went on the Discovery Horse Tours. None of us is an experienced rider, far from it. I hadn't been on a horse in about 40 years after a bad experience. Andrea picked out the best horses for us based on our abilities. It was obvious the horses are well taken care of and loved. Andrea and the other guide, Julia, are an encyclopedia of information about the plant and animal life in the rainforest and how our carbon footprint affects it. The natural mud bath at the middle of the ride was amazing. I would do it again in a minute. We hope to take more friends on this when they come to visit us while we're housesitting in Costa Rica. This is an absolute must-do activity

Visited May 2012
Sacramento, California
3 attraction reviews
“perfection!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Alas a horse tour experience that is exactly what you would want it to be! Andrea promptly greeted everyone upon arrival. She made us feel safe and comfortable with our horses, offering up helpful tips and basic riding instructions. It was so refreshing to see horses that are clearly well cared for and loved! I rode a handsome gent named Casper, whom I favored, a shining example of how well they pair horses for each individual riding ability and comfort level. Throughout the entire tour Andrea shared interesting tidbits about the preserve and the wildlife that surrounded us. I've been on many horse tours where you plug along without any interaction from your guides. She really made it a great experience from start to finish. She allowed us opportunities to go a bit faster if we like, but only when if we felt up to it and when it was safe for both horse and rider. The waterfall, mud baths, scenic rain forest and wildlife made for all sorts of fantastic photo opportunities. I would take this tour again in a heart beat and recommend it to any one visiting Costa Rica. Not to be missed!