“A really great surf school for beginners”
Review of Del Mar

Del Mar
More attraction details
Owner description: Del Mar Surf Camp is the premiere surf camp in Costa Rica with over nine years of experience teaching people how to surf. We provide a maximum of 2 to 1 student to instructor ratio with local Costa Rican surfers providing a safe and quality surf instruction guaranteed for everyone to catch waves. Our all inclusive surf camps include everything from daily yoga classes, daily nature walks & healthy meals to create the perfect vacation in paradise. Owned & operated by local Costa Rican, you can be rest assured that your experience will exemplify all the "Pura Vida" culture Costa Rica has to offer.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This surf school was recommended to me by a family friend who lives in Hermosa the small surfing community south of Jaco. She surfs every morning before work and really knows a lot about surfing in the Jaco area. I was very impressed by the instructors and equipment supplied by the school. My wife, my two teen aged daughters and I spent two days surfing with the school's instructors at a beginner beach near the Club Del Mar Resort which is a separate business. This is at the south end of Jaco beach which is protected by a headland.

We all made good progress because of the lessons we took. My daughters had some experience before we started but my wife and I had none. We all had a great time and had a lot of fun riding the waves. The water was warm and there were no shortage of waves.

Jaco is a fun town and the surfing gets more challenging as you go north up the beach. However the waves at Hermosa are far more challenging and it is really a beach for expert surfers.

Both Jaco and Hermosa beaches are dark sand and got very hot by mid day. Playa Hermosa has few trees and little shade and it is blazing hot by afternoon. However it is a great place to see experts riding the large waves. South Playa Jaco is much more accessible to beginners and north Jaco seems to be a good place for intermediate surfers.

Be careful of the riptides on these beaches especially near the river/creek outlets. These beaches can be dangerous and you kids should know how to deal with rip tides.

The instructors at Del Mar Surf Camp picked us up at our hotel in his car and dropped us off after our lessons.

Check out Chuck's Walking on Water ( W.O.W. ) Surf Shop in Jaco for clothing and gear.

Ask to have Jefferson as your instructor.

1  Thank GBrider1
Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Hi,

I wanted to thank you so much for the great review. We work really hardware in orden to be the bes school in Costa Rica and specially to see smiles after each surf lesson. I appreciate the time taken to write the review and really hope to see you guys again in the near future.

Thanks again from Del Mar Surf Camp Family!

Pura Vida
Maria del Mar

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Del Mar

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Had a positive family experience due to the skilled and friendly instructors. Also, the Jaco beach location is ideal for beginner/intermediates as the waves are consistent, a good size, and you can get good long rides even as a novice.

Logistics were a little less positive. Emails took a bit too long to be responded to, multiple requests were required to get an answer, answers did not exactly match the questions, timing was a little loose, etc. Nothing terrible, but I definitely had to be persistent to get and confirm what I wanted.

That said, it was definitely worth it as the instructors, the venue, and the experience made the minor hassle all worth while.

1  Thank cira001
Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Hi,

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your feedback about the hassle to reserve your vacation. I apologize for the inconvenience. We have added another person to our team in the main office and really hope that nobody has to go through this again.

We look forward to see you surfing again with us!

Pura Vida from Del Mar Surf Camp Staff !

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have been to Costa Rica 3 times and people keep asking me why don;t you try somewhere different to go? The answer is I have traveled a lot, and costa rica is by far the most diverse and interesting beach vacation I have been to. Tne waters are not aqua, which is my only complaint. But they call it pura vida (Pure life) for a reason. On this thord trip we went to Del Mar Surf Camp and I had a blast! These guys are seriouse, they are healthy and athletic and they want to help you surf. My trainer Paco (an amazing person), cared a lot and he really helped me get up on the board and understand safety and form, etc. I didn;t even know I wanted to learnb to surf, but the smile on my face when I caught my first wave was like a kid riding a bike for the first time! It was wonderful!
I could go on and on, but I highly recommend DelMar Surf camp...I think its good for singles, couples and families. They alos have an amazingprivate Brazilian Martial Arts Class which I would misspell if I tried (Caiopera?) and I had the best private yoga lesson of my life. On the ocean with teacher assistance for a full hour. It was pure heaven.

1  Thank kerrileary
Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Hi,

Wanted to thank you for the wonderful review. I am so hay that you love our country and also that you had a blast with Del Mar Family!

We look forrad to see you back in the near future. PURA VIDA!

María del Mar

Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is our sixth or so tour with Del Mar Surf. This time, we spent a few hours getting the hang of stand-up paddling outside of Jaco. As usual, the attention to detail and quality of service is simply outstanding. This was my girlfriend's first time on board, and our guide/instructor took the time, explained everything, and got her up in no time. We then had a relaxed tour of Herradura Bay before heading back on shore.

We keep coming back because these guys are the best.

Hi,

Wanted to thank you for your review and great comments about Del Mar. We really look forward to keep seeing you around to show you some more fun!

Thanks from all of Del Mar Staff!
Pura Vida,

Reviewed 22 February 2012

My brother, sister and I purchased a LivingSocial coupon for Del Mar Surf Camp. Best deal ever! We definitely got what we paid for and MORE. Paco and Gita were wonderful instructors. Very patient with us newbies and so much fun!! We kicked off the trip with yoga in a cabana and followed up with surfing, stand up paddling and snorkeling. The instructors gave us some great tips on the nightlife and restaurants to try out, too.

Book your trip now!

Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Hi Lauren,

Thank you so much for your review. I am very glad that you guys enjoyed your time and got to try some of our best activities.

We hope to see you back in CR and Del Mar Surf Camp, next time maybe to do the real surf camp experience with us in our base hotel!

Pura Vida,