“Beautiful & Relaxing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Chimuri Beach Retreat
seattle
“Beautiful & Relaxing”
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I have been to Chimuri twice -- once in 1997 and then in September 2009. I had remembered it being beautiful, relaxing, removed from the town and I had the beach all to myself; this visit I found the same to be true, even though the town of Puerto Viejo has grown quite a bit in the last 12 years.

Mauricio and Colocha are excellent hosts, providing us access to filtered water (so no lugging bottles from town or purchasing a bunch of plastic ones) and having a cleaning lady come every few days to keep the houses clean. With the full kitchen we were able to cook most of our meals ourselves -- don't miss the weekly veggie truck! Great produce for even better prices.

You can easily rent bicycles either in town or up the road at Banana Azul and it makes getting to/fro Puerto Viejo very easy for shopping, discos, bars, restaurants, etc. But you're also very removed from the town, which I found quite lovely, and you're right in the midst of the jungle but by the sea.

I really love it here and will definitely plan to go back again -- much sooner next time!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
ocotal
Reviewed 22 September 2009

to be one with Nature and living the experience of how simple and yet beautiful life can be.
ideal for meditation, disconnecting from a stressy city world. The genuine PURA VIDA (pure life) can still be felt here. My friends and I enjoyed it and are looking forward to return soon.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Yukon
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Within a couple of hours of arriving i felt the tranquil atmosphere of the Chimuri Beach Cottages ease all my tensions and concerns away. First impression is that the cottages are very basic, with no frills. Second impression is that you have everything that you need and that you are surrounded by beauty and a sense of well-being. I was traveling on my own for the first time (54 yr. old woman) and part of my intentions for this trip was to have a bit of a retreat, where I could relax, read, study, and pray. This was the perfect spot for this. Perfect!! It is right across from a black sand beach, and a nice walking distance from the village of Puerto Viejo. Made a nice routine, to get groceries, or explore a little, make phone calls and so on.

I also had a great time with fellow guests and with the owners Colocha and Mauricio are wonderful, helpful and extremely knowledgeable and sensitive to the ecology of this area. They also have a lovely dog Coco. If you are looking for something authentic and genuine to the east coast of Costa Rica, look no further. This is it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We liked our cottage. It was very cute, quiet, and across the street from a lovely section of beach. Really nice to hear the water....
But it was lacking on the small niceties. we were only given one towel each for four days - yuck. I'm sure we could have asked for another, but didn't think we should have to. No hand soap, or coffee filters....
Also, just a FYI - it's a bit of a walk from town, which wasn't a problem except that it's not advised to walk at night. Taxis are available, and we rented bikes, but thought it would have been a little better for someone with a car.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
costa rica
Reviewed 21 February 2008

Upon arriving to Chimuri, we were greeted by the lovely Colocha and her dog, Cocao...even though we did not get to the front gate until 9pm!
The cottage (#1) my husband, small son and I stayed in was clean, cozy and very cute! We immediately felt at-home. I was impressed by the naturalness of the yard and the fact that
we were invited to compost our food!
Colocha and Mauricio were always helpful, accomodating and relaxed. We easily spent our days at the beach just across the dirt road, walking into town on the shore, and our evenings listening to the waves. It was a perfect place to begin our journey and to come back to upon our return!

Stayed January 2008