All reviewsthe ownerrelaxing gardenpuerto viejoaffordable placelarge roomsingle bedwould definitely stay here againin townstayed here for nightsbeautiful hotelsan josejordanbeachesnetcyclebikesfans
Reviewed 16 November 2015

We didn't stay here but we ate a fantastic meal one night. I had the jerk chicken with extra spice and it ripped my face off. It was awesome. Everyone else really enjoyed their meals as well. I definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2015 via mobile

We've staid in the place twice, with a time difference of 4 years. 1st impression was better.
The place is beautiful in general, but there's a definite lack of maintenance. The room we had this time was junior suit. No hangers for clothes at all, dust on top of the asian style bed frame, where we tried to accomodate our clothes. The bathroom has jaccuzi that doesnt work, and even to use it just as a bath we had to invent the piece to close the water drainage, because the place did nit have it. There's a broken safe in the room, but they do not try to either fix it or take it away.
The sushi restaurant in the hotel is really BAD. Breakfast is ok and not pricy.
The place could be beautiful if properly maintained, but it's not well taken care of.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Masha_Z82
Reviewed 8 October 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights had a wonderful room with comfy bed and shower
Walked around the gardens to see beautiful edible plants and got to see one of the lotus flowers open.
Had an amazing lunch. Quality food at a quality place.
Owner was hands on and very involved. Thanx Jorden.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 23 July 2015

I slept here one night and got a bad eye infection from the pillow. My eye was extremely swollen. There was no blankets on the bed. They only gave us sheets. The pictures really drew me in and I really wanted to stay here. I was so excited to get there and I was let down. There were so many bugs. And one of the staff was aggressive about pushing illicit drugs on to us. Mainly weed. When we told him no he kept coming back to ask again and again. The water was brown and when that cleared up it smelled like pond water. The town itself is very stinky and crazy. I was supposed to stay five nights and we left after one night. The electricity went off to the entire town, it was pitch black, and just a nightmare.The pictures of the Costa Rican carribean probably come from somewhere else because I realized it was all lies when driving from Limon to Viejo. They are the most disgusting beaches I have ever seen, I do not think I will ever come back to puerto viejo in my lifetime. We never ate there. In fact we got on the next flight home after all we had seen it all anyway. Its so far down the coast I would urge you to take the warnings people are giving you here. DO NOT GO to this hotel and think twice before going to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room here stay away
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa D
Lotus_Garden, Owner at The Lotus Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2015

Vanessa, we are very sorry to hear that you got a swollen eye while staying with us. As owner of Lotus Garden I take the safety and well being of our guests very seriously. I am also extremely sorry to hear about an employee acting in an aggressive way. That is not how we train our staff to interact with our clients. It is my understanding that you received a full refund for all 5 nights of your accommodation reservation here through Expedia. I am glad to hear that as we take our guests experience to heart. If there was something I could do to make up for your experience here in Puerto Viejo, please let me know. We hope everybody planning their trip to Puerto Viejo reads your review and understands that although the beach is the most beautiful in the country (at least we think it is), it really still is a party town here. The reggae music is loud at the area bars all night. The tiny town here is one of the least developed in Costa Rica. Although this provides a close experience with the jungle setting, it also means wildlife and insects are everywhere. It also means the electricity goes out in the whole entire town sometimes, and that the city water filtration system is not so advanced. In other words, travelers should prepare for a more primitive experience in Puerto Viejo. Yet, we feel that what this part of the country lacks in development, it more than makes up for in a charming and authentic experience of life here. Plus, you are right, people really should take the travel warnings in the area and understand that the Caribbean side of Costa Rica is very different than the Pacific side. We like its authentic charm, but its not for everyone. I hope people see your review as a way to learn and to make the correct choices for their needs as travelers. We hope they research where they are going and understand these things. We have taken your review to heart and are always making every effort to make our guests stay a pleasant, joyful and meaningful one.

Reviewed 24 May 2015

The owner kindly moved our 4 day booking one day later when we stayed a day longer in Bocas, plus upgraded us to a great room with a 2 person tub. What made it even more special is that we were married on the last day and had that room to come back to. The owner was so helpful with arrangements too.
The restaurant is amazing. A fellow countyperson friend was by coincidence in Puerto Viego at the same time and we had a relaxed and amazing dinner at the Lotus Garden restuarant. Thank you to all. Mike and Gail

Room Tip: Pay more for the room with balcony overlooking pool and 2 person tub.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple