“Banana Azul was a pleasure”
Review of Hotel Banana Azul

Hotel Banana Azul
Reviewed 22 October 2008

No need to reiterate what others have said about Banana azul. I'm one of those fortunate people who rarely gets bitten by mosquitos. There were a lot in the room, though. The hotel provides bug repellent that plugs in (kinda like the glade deodorizers). Although I saw the mosquitos I wasn't bitten by any. A thin layer of bug repellent at night should do the trick. Although it was hot during the day, it cools off significantly at night. For me, the best part about my stay was the ease of scheduling and paying for tours. Nina was extremely helpful. I was even able to book a hotel reservation in La Fortuna, as i was spending 2 nights there, and Nina booked the reservation, the volcano and hot springs excursionis, and billed everything to my banana azul account. I didn't have to worry about checking in at the other hotel, everything was paid for. It was GREAT.

The public areas were also immaculate. The staff was constantly cleaning.

In puerto viejo, i guess i didn't look hard enough, but i found the food to be a little pricier than expected. I paid about $10 for lunch. Im told, however, that there are spots where the locals go that are much cheaper.

The only thing that freaked me out were the bats. I went for a walk around dusk in the forest just behind the hotel, and as the sun fell, swarms of bats emerged. They're harmless I'm told, just a little creepy.

The zipline tour and the whitewater rafting on the pacuare were the highlights of my stay. Well worth the fees.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 October 2008

We booked our honeymoon here for the end of October, 2008. My wife fell ill and we could not go. (She's okay, just can't travel.) I paid a $150 deposit many months ago. I paid almost $400 for excursions via the contacts there, Agustin and Nina.

Since I canceled only ten days before arrival, according to their cancellation policy, I still owed them about $75 or so. (If you cancel 30 days or more away, you get a full refund.) That's fine, they could have charged my card they had on file.

1. They didn't charge me the extra money.
2. They said the $150 I paid several months ago could be applied to a future visit. (Technically, it should have been forfeited.)
3. They refunded the full $400 that I paid for excursions. (one of which was to a 3rd party hotel that was booked for an overnight excursion. So, they called them and got me my money back.)

And all of this one done with incredible ease. Emails were returned usually within minutes. They did exactly what they said they'd do and even went beyond.

I definitely hope to reschedule and come in the Spring when we are able. I wouldn't dream of trying anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank sillyrabbitt
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Let me begin by saying thank you to Nina (Banana Azul staff member). I could go on and on about her personal attention alone, but that would leave little time or space for my raves about owners Colin and Roberto and their bartender Franklin.

Banana Azul is simply perfect and I will add that Puerto Viejo is also just Wonderful. If you love to completely unwind and still your mind, body and spirit, while feeling completely relaxed, comfortable and at home (a nice home mind you where someone else does all the cooking and cleaning) then you will love Banana Azul.

Banana Azul is the perfect blend between a Great bed and breakfast (but you don't feel uncomfortable like you're in someone else's home) and a Great traditional large hotel chain (e.g., Marriott or the InterContinental, but without all the impersonal trappings of a large hotel chain). This hotel has the best of both worlds. Banana Azul is not a resort per se. Although it sits right on a beautiful unspoiled black sand beach, has a wonderful housekeeping staff, bartender, event planner, and kitchen crew (and soon to come amazing pool). No, it’s not a traditional resort, but it does offer the quiet personal attention of a five star resort, with the local’s stamp of approval for comfort, ease, and affordability.

I must also mention the restaurants in PV. My husband and I are true foodies. As a matter of fact he is an award winning chef and we have travel quite a bit. We have visited the Caribbean on numerous occasions and we pretty much know what to expect as far as food (what local eat, which is our preference) a lot of fish (which we love) and chicken (which we love), beans and rice (which, again we love). But typically the preparation and inspiration leaves a little to be desired.

WE WERE ABSOLUELTY BLOWN AWAY BY THE RESTAURANTS IN PUERTO VIEJO. We visited several and found more than one that served world class cuisine. Our favorite was a somewhat finer dining establishment called Cafe Viejo. My hubby said he liked it almost as much as Mario Batali's place, Del Posto, and he said he'll let me know where it stacks up against Per SE, Thomas Kellers world famous restaurant in New York (I'm taking him for his birthday in February).

We also found this great place called Restaurant La Papaya Loca. It has a great bar scene and also a great restaurant that serves some things not typically found in the Caribbean, like wings, beer battered fish & chips, burgers, vegetarian selections, killer traditional salads, omelets, and ham. Of course they serve things like fish and chicken, but also things like crepes and yuca croquettes and fried plantain-cheese balls. WOW!!! This place is filled with locals and tourist (surprisingly, you will have a time telling them apart. You've got to love that). It sits just across from the beach with an amazing view which makes for some incredible sunsets. The down stairs bar is called Sunset Sports Bar and the bartender Antonio is AWESOME. We made our way to this hot spot a few times to play pool. We missed the pool tournament on Monday nights. They even have foosball table and gambling machines. This may sound a little to American, but trust me it fits right in especially after being away from home for a few weeks. It's what's different in PV and the local flock to it. It's great.

I'll end with this...Our trip to CR was the best vacation we’ve ever had. We visited the pacific side and explored San Jose and we fell I love with the Caribbean side and Banana Azul was a large part why we will return year after year.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank SnookaBear
Reviewed 30 September 2008

We stayed for 5 nights in mid-late September. As you can see from this site, people have great things to say about the place and they all appear to be true. Couple of highlights of things:

1. People. The owners/staff are great. Very personable. We talked with Colin and Roberto on multiple occasions. You can tell with talking to them about the hotel that they do not want anything negative associated with the hotel. Not just the hotel but the trips that they help organize from their office/website. They really emphasize organizing tours that are safe, secure and reliable. The other staff are also very friendly... Franklin, Augustin, Michele.

2. Rooms are clean and minimal. No TV. No phone. But all of that is for a reason... the noise level would be disruptive with a TV or phone in people's room. It also makes you actually enjoy the location. Did you really come on vacation to watch TV? We spent more time on the balcony, enjoying the ocean. The mattresss is not the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on but I did sleep well. More of a problem is the bugs. There are a lot of mosquitos and other insects. This is of course not a hotel problem but a region problem. We took DEET and used it often and used a mosquito net but still left with a few bites. Go prepared with a couple of bottles of DEET (get 25% at least)

We would definitely recommend this place. The breakfasts were great (not just cereal and toast but a really good hot breakfast). The dinners were good, especialy for the price. Id saw it's worth having dinner here at least one night as food in Puerto Viejo is not better than this.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2008

This place is paradise. That's all there is to it. The hotel is beautiful; the food is fantastic; the beach is gorgeous. I can't say enough good things about it. It's the perfect way to spend a birthday or honeymoon!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2.7 km away
Hotel Escape Caribeno
Hotel Escape Caribeno
#8 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK