1,716 results
All reviews howler suite ocean room fun tours the red frog room costa rica koi pond tour desk in town the main hotel large balcony dogs and cats our honeymoon san jose brownie pura vida walk along the beach open air
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Banana Azul was the best in all of the places i have ever stayed at in costa rica. The location is perfect, you walk right out onto the beach, with chairs, umbrellas and even hammock spread about there was no lack of comfort even on the beach. The drinks, unlike most hotels, very reasonably prices and made it possible for us to drink at the hotel instead of going to a bar, which is untrue for any other hotel we've stayed in CR. Our "bath suite" was amazing, and had a hammock in the separate bathroom patio and it was so comfy i ended up sleeping there instead of the bed. Upon leaving to check out another hotel the incredibly friendly manager gave us lots of tips on where to go once on the other side of puerto Viejo and the best beaches with directions on how to get there by bike and also told us that if we got bored we were more than welcome to bike back there and use their beach, hammocks, bar and even pool! . I loved they they had bikes for rent right at the hotel so you can get around more safely and easily. The free breakfast was a FULL hot breakfast, not just fruit and cereal like some. the beach dogs were friendly and plentiful but never bothered us. They have a beautiful Koi fish pond that loops around part of the hotel. it was just serene!!

Room tip: The GARDEN BATH SUITE!!! that room made my whole trip! it has a separate room for a patio for the bathroom. Huge lover's bathtub that was so elegant! clear roof so you dont feel like your confused inside and you still feel connected to the lush greenery that makes it so special!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The location on the beach can't be beat. Walk to the beach when you get up and have your coffee while you watch the sunrise. Excellent and attentive staff, lovely grounds and gardens, the nightly dinners are delicious and a good value.

I look forward to visiting the Banana Azul again soon!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank R Y
Reviewed 1 October 2012

After nine days in paradise at the Banana Azul we came home feeling like we left new friends and family behind. The Banana Azul was more than we imagined it would be - it is truly paradise and Colin and the entire staff do not miss a beat! Every part of our stay there was just perfect - all of the little details are so much appreciated. Service is excellent and genuine, and the grounds are just so beautiful. Extra points for all of the love put into the landscaping. The food is great, all three meals, especially the dinner buffet that changes daily. You never really have to leave the Banana Azul if you don't want to - they take care of it all. They will hook up all of your excursions and if staying by the pool or laying on the beach all day is your thing, they will take care of you. Coffee served on the beach at sunrise?!! Just perfect. We miss you all already and have reserved for next year. Can't wait!
** Ryan & Michael (San Francisco) **

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I really enjoyed my stay for 6 nights in the dolphin room at Banana Azul. The staff are exceptionally friendly, the rooms are clean and tidy, and quite spacious. I especially enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the evening watching the humming birds on the plants in the garden and seeing the sun go down.

I understand the Eco-credentials of the hotel, but on reflection I think I would have preferred a room with air con (mainly to keep the insects at bay!) and perhaps would have appreciated a little more privacy as the walls to the room are not as well sound proofed as I would have liked. Neither of these latter points would in any way put me off from returning to this great little hotel.

Oh, and by the way, be careful sending postcards from the post office in town - they took my money for stamps but still no sign of the cards 6 weeks later...!

Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark T
colinsito, Owner at Hotel Banana Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Hey Mark, I am glad to hear that despite our shortcomings you were able to have a good stay.

This time of the year is a few degrees hotter and for many, they would appreciate AC. When we built the hotel, there were hardly any properties with AC. Back then even just trying to put sufficient wiring into the hotel would have been a huge challenge.

As you can see we are doing one-by-one renovations. We have been adding sound proofing to rooms and any new rooms we add, we are doing with AC.

Most of our guests have been fine without AC, but I am fully aware, we all tolerate temperatures differently.

If you visit us again, you might try our Red Frog Tropical Suite. It has AC and has been insulated for sound as well. But it is still a wood structure, so total sound proofing is not possible.

As for the postcards :-( Not sure what to say. I guess you could tell who ever you sent them to, that "it's the thought that counts ;-)"

Thanks very much for your constructive feedback. Cheers, Colin.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

My wife and I decided for our honeymoon we wanted to travel to Costa Rica with our families and have a second ceremony on the beautiful beaches it has to offer. After extensive research we found the quite little town of Puerto Viejo, Limon. There were several hotels of interest to us; of these Banana Azul took the cake. My wife communicated with David, who was amazingly helpful from the booking the room to information on the town. Banana Azul has a calendar for reserving rooms, that shows availability. This was extremely helpful, we booked the apartment for as long as we could, then relocated to a different room within the hotel. Even though it takes a lengthy amount of time to travel from San Jose to Puerto Viejo, it was well worth it and helped cut down the overabundance of tourists. When we arrived we were absolutely taken by the spectacular views, overall layout of the hotel and the wonderful service they provided us. The first day we took the short trip into town to see some of the local culture, the people of Puerto Viejo were very laid back and helpful. We ate a nice lunch at Salsa Brava, my wife enjoyed the location and wanted to have our little ceremony there in front of the restaurant. After talking with the bartenders at the establishment they agreed that they could accompany us and would prepare food and drinks for the occasion. We agreed that 2:00pm would be the time I arrived followed by my wife at 2:30pm. When I arrived and realized that the place was not open, and the staff had given us the shaft. Disappointed, yet understanding that everything happens for a reason, we decided Banana Azul had been so helpful, we would travel back and have it on the beach there. We picked a location and talked to Roberto another manager from Banana Azul. He and his staff were extremely helpful and within an hour of so they had an amazing spread of food prepared and laid out. Throughout the trip all staff members treat us like we were in their home from the grounds keepers to Collin the owner. This trip was an experience of a life time; we will definitely visit there next year no questions asked. Collin, Fred, David, Roberto, Shanti, Kristiam, Franklin, Annarosey, Luis, Leo (Cheers for the Spanish lessons, lol) and all other staff members we have forgotten, Tanya and I would like to truly thank you all for your genuine hospitality and amazing service. To all who read this, please ignore the minimal negative reviews on this site and take our word of advice. Stay at Banana Azul you will never forget it.

• Trip type: Travelled with family