1,697 results
All reviews howler suite ocean room the red frog room fun tours costa rica koi pond tour desk in town large balcony our honeymoon san jose lounge chairs pura vida open air brownie walk along the beach black sand beach
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We just returned from 5 days at Banana Azul. If you are looking for a fancy resort this is not the place but if you are looking for a piece of paradise in a tropical jungle setting look no more. We loved everything about it. We had an ocean view room with a queen bed and a beautiful patio with a hammock. The rooms are open aired no air conditioning but very comfortable with the ocean breeze, fan and the sounds of the crashing waves and tropical birds. The staff was excellent and compared to a big over crowded resort you knew the staff by name. The Pina Coladas were the best, made from scratch with fresh pineapple and cocunut. We loved all the dogs and cats they were so friendly and we especially fell in love with Pinta. We are already planning another trip back to the Banana Azul.. We highly recommend the rafting trip from San Jose excellent! Colin runs a first class hotel. Awesome!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DLynn2
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My friend and I stayed here 8 nights, and loved every minute of it. I especially appreciated the smiling and helpful staff, the great food, the gorgeous view, the gardens, the water cooler, and yes, the dogs. Colin, the owner, is fantastic.Canada rocks! Robert and Christiam, especially, must have answered a zillion, billion questions from me and my friend, always with a smile. Ana Rossy, and Obedlia - such sweet smiles and such patience with my Spanish. Just thinking about Banana Azul again, makes me smile. If you don't want to be awakened by birdsong every morning, and you want total silence, don't go here. However, if you want to be immersed in total tropical nature at its finest and its most natural setting, go to Banana Azul. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Any room on the second floor is fabulous, because of the balcony, the funky bathroom, and the view. If you can afford it, get the Howler!! Double pleasure with a double view and a corner tub!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Everything I read and researched online in my search for the perfect place to operate out of during our visit to Costa Rica kept referring back to Banana Azul. I spent weeks online making sure I didn't end up in a dump or, conversely, an overpriced "resort" type place. Think of Banana Azul as a high end beach/jungle lodge. Only 14 rooms so its not swarming with tourists. The food was excellent. Don't miss Caribbean Night with its coconut flan for dessert---heaven!!
The service, while sometimes "casual", was excellent and everyone went out of their way to meet our every need. Even their live-in pets were adorable additions. (Don't feed them though- they'll learn to recognize you and bug you at every meal after you do.)
Having such a great travel service right there-Gecko Travel- was a real plus as well.
After seeing what else Puerto Viejo had to offer, I was so glad we chose Banana Azul.
Thanks to Colin and Robert and their great crew!

Room Tip: Room # 7 was well located- away from the kitchen downstairs and not facing the parking lot. Beautiful view on our spacious patio of the excellent gardens and landscaping below.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We spent 5 nights at Banana Azul and we enjoyed our stay completely. The room was great, food inexpensive and tasty, all the staff were welcoming and helpful, the grounds were well kept and the beach was uncrowded. It was a nice walk to town and we also rented bicycles to Punta Uva. Thanks for helping make our vacation in Costa Rica so wonderful!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JanandDan
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Banana Azul is a little secret paradise that we fell in love with. It's a beautiful little oasis tucked in the trees next to the surf. The staff are delightful, the food great and the activities are whatever you want them to be. You can lounge all day in a hammock with a good book or go full boar on a wild adventure with four-wheelers, ziplining, scuba diving or hiking. My family loved it and can't wait to go back. Thanks to their front office manager, David, for making our trip and adventures so memorable!

Room Tip: The Howler Suite was our favorite!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family