“Loved this place!”
Review of Hotel Banana Azul

Hotel Banana Azul
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Banana Azul is a little secret paradise that we fell in love with. It's a beautiful little oasis tucked in the trees next to the surf. The staff are delightful, the food great and the activities are whatever you want them to be. You can lounge all day in a hammock with a good book or go full boar on a wild adventure with four-wheelers, ziplining, scuba diving or hiking. My family loved it and can't wait to go back. Thanks to their front office manager, David, for making our trip and adventures so memorable!

Room Tip: The Howler Suite was our favorite!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kelly W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

This review mirrors what most people who have stayed here say, and i agree totally.Now if a double bed is not big enough, or that the rooms are made of wood is an issue, then maybe you would prefer somewhere else. We on the other hand did not mind at all, and no tv is a plus. The ocean is on your doorstep, and the staff are great. Puerto Viejo is itself relaxed and laid back and it does offer more dining and drinking options if you need them. Banana Azul was a lovely experience.

1  Thank jmc303
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for four nights in February and loved it. Our room, the Dolphin room, is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. It is on the end by the parking lot but is very quiet and private and has an amazing deck. The cat figured out fairly quickly we were cat people and let us share the room with her which we especially enjoyed.

Colin runs a very efficient operation. We ate dinner there every night and were very happy with the food, especially the Ginger Tuna.

I guess the only downside is the beach is not great for swimming and the pool is small and not heated.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wpw
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We loved this hotel - it has a very relaxing vibe. There are several dogs and cats that we enjoyed a lot. The food was good -especially the beef tenderloin with black pepper sauce that we had for dinner one evening. Dinners were a very reasonable $11.95 for three courses. Breakfasts were included and were excellent. The Mai Tais were excellent. My husband gets cranky when he gets too hot so a room with air conditioning was important to us. We reserved one of the two garden rooms that have air conditioning. We were really pleased with the room, the private patio with tub and the bathroom. What we did not like was that the room is next to the reception and activities desk. This made it quite noisy - sometimes beginning at 6:30 a.m. Another issue was the construction that was taking place directly behind our room. It was VERY noisy and as a result we did not enjoy the private patio. We were told that the construction was not being done by Banana Azul and understood that management had no control over it. One of the owners graciously offered to find guests other accommodations if the noise bothered them. The offer was made on our last night (of four). So - this wAs a terrific place to stay with beautiful grounds and easy beach access IF there is no construction going on and you don't require an air conditioned room.

Room Tip: Suggest selecting one of the rooms on the second floor
1  Thank wagr
colinsito, Owner at Hotel Banana Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thanks very much for your feedback.

We are truly sorry about the construction going on with our neighbour. It is an unfortunate fact of life that we have no control over. When it drives me crazy, I remind myself they had to put up with us doing construction which took over 2 years total with all our buildings. Thankfully they are only building a small house and it should not take near as long.

The good news is that they do not start before 8am. Legally here, they can start at 7am. When we were building we did the same thing by not starting before 8am out of consideration for our neighbours.

Your issues with room # 9 (garden bath) are valid and we are taking some steps to deal with that. In November, we are closing for 2 weeks and doing some work in some of the rooms. That room in particular is being looked at to insulate it better from noise in the office.

Even though you had some issues, I am happy that it did not ruin your stay. I am also happy were able to succeed on most other levels.

btw... I get cranky when I get too hot as well ;-)

Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Banana Azul for 3 weeks recently. It was his dream vacation and I was just along for the ride. But, it turned into a shared dream-come-true the moment we arrived at the hotel. The hotels setting took my breath away! It is beautiful. The hotels landscaping is impeccable with so very many flowering shrubs and trees and flowering lilypads and exotic lotus - aaaahhhh!!!! So many flowers in numerous large, rock flowerbeds; the abundance of flowers is breathtaking. It appeared to be designed and maintained in harmony with the natural surroundings of the area. As a big time gardener myself, the gardens on the hotel grounds created immediate joy for me when seeing the place. And it just kept getting better!

We soon discovered that there was miles and miles of untouched-by-man beauty surrounding the hotel, too! And we walked many, many miles each day. I teased my husband that he didn't get heat stroke, he got feet stroke! A simple long walk was an adventure in itself for the sightseeing of a wide variety of numerous wildlife inhabitants and the sounds of the forests/jungle. Sounds - we were happily listening to the ocean waves as we went to bed at night and awoke to the sounds of what seemed like a million birds.

Usually one can think of a complaint or two over the span of a three week stay at one hotel, but I cannot. All of the service providers at the hotel were cheerful, friendly and helpful. The service at the hotel is top notch!!! And the meals! Definitely no complaints whatsoever about the food - it was delicious and served hot and promptly. Yum yum, fish and fresh fruits and vegetables available all the time! We ate at great deal of our meals at the hotel and never had one meal to complain about.

We tried out four different rooms at the hotel and each one of them was spacious and kept very clean. Their design and artwork made me say "WOW" outloud as I walked into each one. Our transition into the different rooms was handled for us with professional service and these changes went very smoothly. Nope, no complaints with the accomodation either. I had a hard time sleeping listening to the wildlife at night and wondering what might hop/fly/slither into my bed through the open-air drapes; there, that would be a complaint, that there were too many new and interesting creatures to be seen by day, which could keep one awake at night thinking about them. We saw a boa in the morning sleeping in the cabana where the coffee was served on the beach. Then there was the "rhino beetle" beside the pool, along with sightings of a few toads and frogs in our different rooms...These sightings did tend to keep me up at night wondering as I listened to them all come alive at night......

The staff, the location, the rooms, the food - every aspect of the Banana Azul exceeded all of our expectations. We have travelled numerous places in the world and this hotel is most definitely one place that we both want to go back to. I'd love to add some photos but i have over 850 along with an hour and a half of videos and they are all spectacular. Deserted beaches, untamed wilderness, crashing ocean waves.....I recommend you just go! Book it now! Its truly an experience of a lifetime to be there. You'll leave with one thought "can we sell everything and stay here forever?" - that is my view of the place. Go now! :-)

A big thanks to all the staff, most especially the hotel manager, David, who not only supplied us with travel tips, but also promoted the atmosphere of friendship that all staff portrayed. Sincerely, Eric & Bev MacDonald Gibbons, Alberta, Canada

Room Tip: The apartment is very private and luxurious! The Ocean Rooms are romantic! The garden room has the...
3  Thank BeverleyMacDonald
7.4 km away
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
#7 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK