I have been coming to Shawandha Lodge since it has opened in the mid 90s. At the time it really stood out as an island of taste and refinement among other indiscriminate tourist developments around the hippy town of Puerto Viejo. It is still my favourite place to stay in the area for the following reasons:
1. It maintains what I consider a perfect balance between a forest lodge and a tasteful environment. The French owners have taken care in the details from the mosaic-tiled bathrooms to little stone patterns dividing the paving slabs to the cabins, to the plants around the pool.
2. The communal areas: dining room, swimming pool, and paths to the cabins are superb. The individual cabins themselves are fine, with a nice porch with sofa and hammock. The furniture inside is very basic, with little storage space and very high humidity, but then one is in the forest with toucans nesting in the tree opposite …One thing that could be improved: sheets, bed spreads and sofa coverings are very tired and could use a change.
3. It is located halfway between Puerto Viejo and wonderful Gandoca-Manzanillo Park You can easily restaurant. bike it to bike it to both. It is 2 Km from the Jaguar Refuge Center.
4. I think it is very reasonably priced for what it offers.
5. The owner Mao and all the staff are extremely professional, kind and helpful.
6. They serve a wonderful complimentary breakfast.
Keep in mind that they do not serve or indeed offer any food except for breakfast or dinner. If you are hungry during the day you have to go out for food and drink (there are plenty of restaurants on the road and an organic restaurant very close). Other excellent restaurants in the areas are Maxi’s in Manzanillo and La Pecora Nera on the way to Puerto Viejo.
Shawandha Lodge is a place for nature lovers who want peace and total relaxation, not for “activities’ or clubbing. If birds and monkeys waking you up early in the morning bother you, this is not the place for you. If you love being in the middle of a jungle while maintaining some standards of comfort and refinement, than Shawandha Lodge is the place.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Shawandha Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Shawandha Puerto Viejo
- Hotel Shawandha Lodge Costa Rica/Limon