“Fantastic Experience”

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I highly recommend this tour. Entertaining, educational, beautiful setting, and very tasty! I will carry this experience with me always.

1  Thank DebbiMilner
caribeans, Owner at Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

We are so glad you liked it! Thanks for taking the time to review on TA.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Don't leave town until you have done the chocolate tour!! Paul is a great tour guide. Also there coffee is amazing as well!

1  Thank Jarrod B
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I was part of a group tour for the cacao plantation. The owner was our tour guide.

We started the tour through the very steep incline and the guide was very good at stopping very often for those of us in the group who were having a hard time climbing. He explained the history of his plantation and how he got to it as well as the history of the cacao exporting and farming in the country. He was articulate about high quality chocolate and the process of making it. He emphasized in the fact that good quality chocolate came from good plantations and the way the cacao is roasted instead of any other process after that!

The tour took us to the place where he ferments the cacao seeds and then to the top of the hill where we had a tasting. Up there was a beautiful view of the beaches and we got to hear a pack of monkeys in the area then see them from afar...then we got to taste our own chocolate creations by adding other ingredients! Lastly we walked to the chocolate processing center where the plant is roasted and turned to chocolate....it was fascinating!

I feel that I learned so much about it and how to tell what's good and not good! I admire how her started his own implant from zero and how well he is doing now.

The coffee shop was really good I tried their cappuccino and added a square of their chocolate and it was delicious!!!!

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We went past this coffee shop probably a dozen times, but it never looked open. When we finally got to go, we were sorry it was our first and last time. They have various types of chocolate to sample and the coffee was very good. I had an iced mocha which was unlike others I've had before in a better way. Probably the fresh coffee and chocolate. The ambience was really nice. This shop is as much of a classroom and gathering place as a place to get good drinks and snacks. The staff was very pleasant and seemed to enjoy what they doing. They offer yoga, Pilates, tai chi, and wellness classes. It received high praise from my wife too, who is a tougher critic than I. If we go back, we will make this an almost daily ritual.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

Chocolate will never taste the same anymore after a visit at CariBeans! Yes chocolate tastes much richer now ... well ... good chocolate from here! The chocolate is natural, organic and produces on an ethic & sustainable way, a place and people of my heart! They keep the old cacao trees and the surrounding jungle natural, organic and as diverse as it is already for years. They pay honest prices to their indigenous employees who work here and they pay also a honest price to other local chocolate farmers when they buy chocolate from them. They are also make their own chocolate which is rare in this area and in general. Moreover, this couple is so honest, friendly and warm hearted that I can only love this place.
But above that the chocolate is delicious, with a taste of real chocolate! During the tour you get to taste - on top of a hill with a stunning view on the coastline - different chocolates in combination with herbs & spices what gives very surprising flavours! A very nice experiment which I did now at home for friends and family :-). It's very interesting to follow the whole process from the cacao tree to a chocolate bar so that from then on, while eating chocolate, the taste of chocolate every time reveals the whole story of the cacao. I loved this visit and tour at CariBeans!