“Must-try, Local, Fresh”

El Refugio Grill
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 25
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: International Cusine Restaurant. Jungle outside private tables for dinner or chill out. Romantic atmosphere, good music. Focus on the good quolity of the products and the service.
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Right off the main road through Punta Uva, surrounded by the beautiful, flowering rainforest, with outdoor seating. The chef is friendly, you can talk to him through the kitchen "window" as he is making your food. He is from Argentina, but has been living in CR around 15 years. We were a large party of seven and so we pretty much bought up the remaining entrees. In fact he didn't have enough of what we had individually ordered but made some great alternate suggestions for what he did have. We were able to try everything that night and shared, which made it all the better. The steaks were tender and the seared tuna was so fresh. Everything was delicious. If you are a large party, stop by in the early afternoon to let him know and he will make sure to order enough for your meals. The restaurant even sold us some liquor, mixers and ice for our house party since the local markets were closed.

1  Thank w0nderl0st
Argenticos, Owner at El Refugio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Thanks a lot...I am glad you enjoyed...see you next time

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

Lovely little restaurant. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Menu is simple which is nice. We had the guacamole to start and it was amazing. I had the steak which was a little tough but that's me just being picky as it was still good. I was sorry I didn't have the tuna steak, it looked very good. I would go back and I would recommend.
They don't take card so make sure you have cash.

1  Thank Shane L
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

My friend and I visited this gem of a restaurant. My friend is a vegetarian and had been struggling with food on the Caribbean coast. The menu is small and the setting is intimate, in fact we both felt it would be perfect for a proposal due to the ambiance and candlelight! The waitress kindly translated the menu for us. My friend had pasta which she advised was the most delicious meal she'd had in Costa Rica whilst I decided to have the steak. We had crepes for dessert. I had a glass of wine, my friend had a cocktail and we both had a soft drink. The waitress was really helpful and called a taxi for us and negotiated the price. The meal was on the expensive side but as far as we were concerned it was worth it. It was the best meal we had in Costa Rica.

1  Thank andromedahb
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

My wife and I decided to have dinner at this restaurant after one of our excursions. The host was a lovely lady that made us feel very welcome and offered some great suggestions for dinner. The chef is from Argentina and you can tell that he cares about food. I loved the fact that he makes most of there food on the grill. The restaurant is tucked away from downtown Puerto Viejo. If you are looking for a quiet place to have a great meal in Puerto Viejo, I recommend you check out El Refugio.

1  Thank Amilcar M
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

The setting was ok and just the typical Costa Rican "look" you see everywhere. Even the menu looked normal and so so. But O.MY.GOODNESS!!!!! The food was incredible! First off the guacamole and chips were different. The chips were not the typical plantains, corn nor yucca. They were these super light crisp and airy dough thins made fresh and came out of the kitchen warm. By far THE BEST guac and chips I have ever had. Then came the octopus... one word AMAZING! The plate that made the day though was the beef steak. Argentinians are famed for their meat and this restaurant did not dissapoint. Marinated and grilled to absolute perfection, this plate came with baked yummy crispy potatoes, simple but also made to perfection. One of the few restaurants here with artisanal beer from CR. The place is small enough that the owner/chef gave delightful personalized attention. This place is a must. I will def. be back the next time I am here. Highly highly recommended.

2  Thank Maria K H
Argenticos, Owner at El Refugio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Thanks a lot ....