“Absolutely Amazing”

Hotel Blue Conga
Ottawa Ontario
“Absolutely Amazing”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed at Hotel Blue Conga form May 6 to the May 11/2012. I can say hands down as being well travelled person, that this hotel truly added to my overall experience. The rooms and the hotel itself were beautiful and aided in the overall "TICA" experience. It was built and adorned in such a natural way that you felt in touch with nature while enjoying. The rooms were adorned with fresh flowers- looked out onto the awesome garden, and came with a hammock on your private patio. The lounge area is designed in such an artistic way that I would spend most of my mornings enjoying the scenery. “Best spot to enjoy your breakfast” I was lucky enough to be able to meet Pierre and Marie and spend some stellar quality time with them. They were so giving with their time, making sure that I had the ability to see allot while I was there. Pierre took me more than once to beautiful Punta Uva, as well to the Bri Bri and a trek to a gorgeous waterfall. Quality conversation was had which is a plus because I was travelling solo and it’s always a pleasure to meet people of like mind and those who are just genuine good quality. Pierre and Marie were watching the hotel while the owner was away but I was lucky enough to meet Eric for the last few days of my trip and was once again impressed with how kind and intuitive they were. He completed my trip with amazing service- breakfast to write home about, and more than a few laughs along the way. He was also more than helpful with getting me to a bank and also booking my interbus back to San Jose. Overall I give this hotel and the people who run it a double thumbs up. I travel quite a bit, usually solo and can say outside of Costa Rica being an amazing area to visit, Hotel Blue Conga contributed to the amazing experience I had in Puerto Viejo. I will definitely be visiting again and will always choose this as the place to stay!! They are also in the middle of building a natural pool in the garden which will add to the already amazing settings!

Room Tip: room # 10 is amazinnnng
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Being from Costa Rica, we new we wanted to celebrate our honeymoon in Puerto Viejo, which is my favorite place in the country. We looked at many options and went throught different reviews and I´m glad we picked Blue Conga. Since we made the reservation, Eric was very helpful in making the arrangements for different activities and while we were there, we felt like part of his family. We had a romantic dinner arranged at the beach and even had a small serenade from Eric while drinking some champagne. There are many hotels in Puerto Viejo, but the service they give is the best. The rooms are clean and neither too close or too far from the busy streets, I definetely recommend it for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The most welcoming experience I've had at a hotel. I'm a big fan of couchsurfing and work-away programs where you feel like you know the people who host you. Eric made me feel like we were part of his family. Ideally located just outside of Puerto Viejo proper, you can easily walk in or rent a bike just down the street. Eric made some stellar beach recommendations and invited us to dinner. His Step-Brother was in town, he and I had hours of conversation of rum and coke and some wine about travel, ethics, and post-colonial western mentalities.
This is a fantastic place to stay. My only piece of advice is to bring some wine to drink with the owners and know what you're getting with your room. Waking up to the jungle atmosphere was great.

Room Tip: Remember that you wont have AC, that's it. Rooms were stellar otherwise, I happen to like sleep...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Cornwall, ON, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We travelled to Puerto Viejo the week leading up to Easter and stayed at Blue Conga. Since we knew it was going to be a busy time of year, we made our reservations in advance and it worked out perfectly! Manon and Eric were very helpful and friendly from the beginning, even in email exchanges. Since we were arriving late in the evening, they even offered to pick us up where the bus dropped us off - what service!! And after a 20-hour travel day, needless to say, we slept like babies. It's a far enough distance from all the commotion of town, that it's incredibly quiet too, which is nice.

We woke the next morning to a lovely breakfast in the Rancho dining area - great spot to start your day. Colorful birds and blue butterflies entertaining us as we sipped our coffee and decided on the day's activities.

Location of Blue Conga is great too because it's only a 10-minute walk (at most), to "town" and is on the right side of Puerto Viejo if you want to also head South and visit Cocles Beach, Playa Chiquita and Punta Uva (great spots worth checking out too). There is a bike-rental place and mini supermarket about 3 minutes away, for easy access.

We had only one challenge during our stay - there was no hot water in the shower and when we brought it to Eric's attention, it was fixed within minutes - thank you Eric!! The rooms were spotless and cleaned every day. The hammock outside each room is also a nice touch, great way to wind down. I even saw a toucan perched in the trees just outside my room one morning as I lay quietly in the hammock - so cool!

When we were researching where to stay, we were not really impressed with the website (and shared that comment with them). Don't be mislead by their website - it does not do the property justice at all. In fact, I understand the website to be part of their plans to remodel. Based on the comments we read on Trip Advisor and in Lonely Planet, we went ahead and you should too. The website is not at all indicative of the quality of this place. Great value for money, would definitely stay here again!

Un gros merci Manon et Eric!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janie D
Arroyo Grande, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Blue Conga. The European breakfasts were very tasty and the company was fun. Our host Guy was very charming and talked to everyone which I think made everyone else at the hotel comfortable and friendly. The shower was nice and hot, which is a luxury outside the city in Costa Rica. The hotel was kept neat and clean and all our questions were answers immediately. It rained very hard for a few days, which caused a tree's large branch to break, falling in front of our room entrance way. Guy immediately began to saw and hack away at the branch removing it withing the hour so we could have accesses to our room. What an adventure!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
18.0 km away
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel Blue Conga? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK