“best place in puerto viejo!”

Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro
Tel Aviv, Israel
“best place in puerto viejo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

i had a great time staying in "El tesoro".
the location was amazing. quiet and beautiful place and not too far from the town.
Manuel, the owner, was really nice and helped me in anyway.
i met a lot of cool people there and the atmosphere was great.
hope to come back there again when i visit puerto viejo.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank nadav d
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Aci Castello, Catania, Sicilia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at the cabinas el tesoro for 5 days, 3 in the surf lodge and 2 days in a cabin, and i could apresheate the cool and relaxing atmosphere, as i love cooking so much i could enjoy using the shared kichen that was very well equipayed. I could rent the byci in the hotel, but in the moring, just woke up, 2 steps and directlly to the beach, the fonderfull beachbreak paradise, and when i wanted to go to the town,just in front of the hotel i walked 10 minutes in the wood path on the seaside with a so wanderfull view. In the puerto viejo area i ve seen different places to stay, and this is definitly the best place i found, right price, good quality, nice staff, beautifull nature and confortable locacion!

Room Tip: room numb 3 is really nice
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lafungaia
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

It gives me no pleasure in writing this less than positive review, after spending such a wonderful time in Puerto Viejo, Cocles and Cahuita for our honeymoon.
Despite the valiant attempt to make our stay as wonderful as possible, the flowers in the room could not hide the fact that the room had not been cleaned in quite some time. We were very appreciative of the attempt to make us comfortable upon our arrival, but the flowers placed in the room, and the petals placed on the bed attracted ants by the droves across the pillows and across the spread.
The staff was diligent in changing out the affected linens, but as for taking a relaxing nap, the mood was lost after waiting for that to be done.
After a swim in the ocean across the street, I went in for a shower, and was shocked to find the "hot showers" advertised are actually a mini-hot-water heater attached in - line with the shower head. The power supply to this device is run along side the pipe, exposed to the user. While showering, standing in a puddle of water, attached to ground, the user is required to reach up with wet hands and switch from on to off, or off to on for hot, less hot, or cold water. With a head full of shampoo, and closed eyes, I reached up to switch the water from cold to hot, and received an electric shock. Shocking to say the least, this was very UN-nerving. The last thing I wanted my new wife to find me doing in the shower on our honeymoon was the 120 volt shimmy and shake.
Upon alerting the staff, who was surprised to hear my story . . . they offered us another room to shower in, before dinner. It was identical, yet dirtier. Logic? "If you don't find this death-trap accommodating, maybe you'll find this death-trap more accommodating . . ."
Now I've traveled this earth quite a bit, and never stayed in top-shelf accommodations; to date, this was the worst experience I can recall.
The staff was diligent about changing out the shower head the next day, but as soon as the sun came up, we were checked in at the location we stayed at the previous 2 nights.
As we'd paid ahead, my request for a refund of the un-used nights stay was declined, and only a partial sum of money was returned after making NUMEROUS visits to speak with the manager, who was coming, or going, or here, or there, but never there when he said he would be. Manuel was in Panama for some festivities, and did NOT respond to the personal email I sent him months ago to address this issue.
If you're a teen, or twenty-something looking for a cheap surf spot directly across from the ocean . . . its perfect. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a cold water room to avoid electrocution hazards . . .
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank giggatygiggaty
Manuel104, Manager at Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
It is really unhappy to receive negatives critics when, contrariwise, we tried to make your vacancy the most comfortable, working the all day to prepare your room.
Concerning flowers decoration, I have been personally careful that the room was romantic and welcoming for the special occasion. If flowers has some ants (if they had been many we would had seen them!) I am really sorry, that is an unexpected when flowers are true and not plastic. Moreover you have to remember that here we are in the tropical jungle.
Here I attach the pictures that I made before your arriving, just because I liked the way the room was decorated. Sheets were absolutely cleaned.
About the shower, the warm water system lorenzetti is almost the only one used in Costa Rica, this is a tropical country , so not specialist in warming systems. Anyway our showers have never given us any problems.
As the manager of this hotel, I appreciate very much how my staff works, being always carefully to the customers needs. That-s why I consider your critics inopportune and unfair.
It is constructive to make self-critic, but in this occasion I am sure about our commitment done for your comfort.

Regards
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

If I could describe Cabinas El Tesero in one word it would be comfortable. My friend and I stayed for 3 nights in the four person room. The staff was very approachable and make themselves available to you. Manuel woke up early just to check us in. He anwsered all of our questions even on his day off. I liked how seculded Cabinas El Tesoro is. It was peaceful and the location is very pretty. If I ever come back to Puerto Viejo I will for sure stay here again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katherine K
Norrköping
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

We ended up staying 5 nights in this lovely place! The Italian management is very helpful and don't hesitate to ask Manuel in the reception if you need anything. And I mean anything! If he is going to town he gladly buy you a couple of beers at the supermarket for you, he is awesome!

We stayed in the dorm and it was nice and clean. In fact all the facilities are in good shape and very clean. The outdoor kitchen gives you jungle feeling, occasionally howler monkeys makes a visit.

It's located right next to the best beach in the area. Just cross the road and a couple of trees and you are there, seconds away! If you surf you'll have the one of the best beach breaks here (in the right season of course).

Regards,