“(almost very) good Japanese experience”

Sakura Japanese Restaurant
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

We had dinner. The restaurant has a very nice setup, with tipical touches like the Japanese lake, the teppanyaki tables and the tatami rooms. The menu is impressive, covering several kind of Japanese food styles, from sushi and sashimi to shabu shabu and udons. I have been in Japan 7-8 times and Japanese cuisine is my absolute favorite, so my review may look picky. We had three mains to share: Unagi Don (eel on rice), Tenzaru Soba (shrimp tempura with cold Buckwheat Noodles) and Ebi Kaibashira (teppanyaki dish with shrimp and scallops). The first and second were excellent and authentic, the third was tasty, but far from what the dish should have been: way too much garlic and a running sauce. For that, I would rate it 4.5 out of 5, but I gave it 5 as in the end we were not in Japan. The mains came with a good miso soup and a fresh lemon sorbet. Accompanied with two hot green tea, we totaled 40K colones. We would go there again, to see if the teppanyaki was just an unlucky one.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

A very tasty dinner on our first night at the hotel. Although we were the only ones there cause it was pretty late, the staff was great and the food was delicious!

Reviewed 2 April 2017

The place has a nice atmosphere, the tepanyaki tables are very good, food is just average (if you know about sushi and tepan) not bad, but then it is pricey for what you get, since service tip is already included in every singe receipt you pay for in Costa Rica, service here is not good, I mean the front hostess was kind and try to explain all the menu, then after the waiters must be hunted if you need something additional, tepan yaki is ok, the "show" is average and not really the best I had. This place is pretty much for foreigners so, that is why I may believe is overpriced.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

This was our favorite stop of this trip. The food is good, service quick, and the design of the restaurant is nice. Seems like it gets a little bogged down if busy, but wasn't that bad.

My biggest gripe was they only had one type of sake, and the sashimi was a little spendy.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

Very good Sushi. Loved the atmosphere, and the friendliness of the staff and people at this location. My husband is a bigger fan of sushi than I am, but this was great. I always get extra wasabi and fresh ginger to accent the flavors