All reviews plunge pool outdoor shower hosts steve holiday in costa rica change of pace patio furniture happy place honor bar perfect hosts super market breakfast each morning rooms are large pura vida view of the ocean a great place to stay breakfast was delicious laid back
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Steve and Martha are amazing hosts! They make you feel very welcomed and know the area very well! They can help you plan so many different activities. The hotel is in a good location that makes you feel like you are right in the rain forest. I can not wait to come back! Tamarindo Village Hotel and Costa Rica are on my do again list! Do not miss out on this hidden treasure!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice! There are a couple that have just recently been redone.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you, McKenna. We hope to have you here again soon, too.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

I’ve be n here a month at Tamarindo Village hotel... I have also read all reviews here .. to begin I want readers to understand that Costa Rica is Central America #1- not the ritz Carleton ... it’s a laid back fishing town that became a surf hotspot and tourist attraction for it magnificent natural splendor ... incredible amount of aloven as and life altering change of pace from our diseased western lives.
Steve has s a totally nice guy. He straight forward helpful informative and easy to get along with and have a decent insightful conversation with ..
The hotel itself is Exceptionally nice rooms- meaning really well maintained w quality firnishings( steve has really GREAT beds here - and it’s clear he has invested A lot into making it so comfortable
Safe clean and welcoming !land it is structurally very well made .. and maintained
Martha the housekeeper keeps everything Very Clean .. and I mean the rooms here - besides the odd creepy bug - are spotless !
And just as imoortantly

*****The staff here is trustworthy and honest ! That’s priceless in a Central American country notorious for its crime petty theft and poverty !
The hotel is secure w a locked gate ... and anyone who’s ever done any actual Research in Tamarindo online knows that Garbage here isn’t perfect .. but it isn’t as bad as Say Vancouver Canada on a daily basis lol
People who expect a extravagant lifestyle should go to the Diria Hotel - but even that isn’t “better rooms” than here as it will cost u $200+ a night
I appreciate the lush gardens and interesting bugs butterflies and creatures of this amazing place!
The colours and beauty and butterflies are everywhere .. one landed on my toe 3x yesterday I’ll add pics
My air conditioning is perfect
My shower is hot
clean
and free of bugs.
It’s oretty quiet around here although the neighbour dogs can get a bit much ...

One thing I really appreciate is the “honor bar” Jist for drinks as no other hotel offers that .. and it works
Tamarindo isntnnew York or La people lol
Please!
It’s a tranquilo place
To recouperate from out stuck up over indulging fast paced rat racing overpriced Western lives

the hotel itself is at the top of the hill .. and they are right on the edge of the jungle basically...
I’ve seen a tarantula outside .. a baby scorpion in my room even .. and multiple skunks , crabs and strange insects .. incl
A bettor ost night hat actually Has a self generated green glow .. thatnoook like eyes
.. I’ll Post the photo

Being westerners were often not used to the bugs
Or the laid back NOn rushed lifestyle
Tamarindo isnt about catering to high expectations it’s about Learning to shed the attitudes

to let go and loosen up a bit and just Be Alive and appreciate and drink it all in!

And remember how to be human again

the hotel is very exclusive
Well
Planned out and is not cramped the suites together like so many others I’ve seen here
There is an element of privacy lacking elsewhere

Ir is up the hill.. I walk it daily and it’s gotten me into shape and stronger for it if anything .. lol and I have some aches and pains also
Anyway I even tried to leave to find a place w a kitchen suitable to my
Desires and maybe less incline to walk

but the second I got to the new hotel (hotel Gardenia) I realized I’d made a huge mistake .. and came running back to Tamarindo village
As when we arribed we had another bad hotel
Experience (beach bungalows)

before Tamarindo village hotel
Notbing is perfect but I’ll say this

American hotel
Owners here put a LoT more Effort time $ thought and class into their upgrades and quality here ..
Compared to European owners we’ve stayed with here

I literally almost made the mistake of paying twice the price to end up
In some pos that looked like it was in the ghetto ! Couldnt flush toilet paper even!
No thanks
So
I begged Steve to
Come back

I love it here - it’s like a sanctuary and home away from
Home and he’s given me rides and is very kind and understanding and he Does work with people
Who are willing to work w him ..
I will post pics of room
It’s charming and the Rooms themself are HUGE by comparison to the other 2 boutique hotels I’ve left unhappy so far
here
Steve and Tamarindo Village Hotel
Gets a 10/10
From
Me .. he’s kind sweet accommodating
I am
Alone here for a couple
Weeks and I feel
Safe and comfortable and welcome here
And because of that I will stay another week

Thanks Steve U deserve this review ..
also it has a balcony !

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thanks, Hayley, for this charming and clearly heartfelt review. I think that it can stand on its own without anything from me. If others might want to contact you to fill-in any blanks, I think there is a means to communicate directly through TripAdvisor.

One thing I will add: we are in the process of adding new room photos so that each of our rooms can be viewed so nobody should feel misled about what we offer guests at Tamarindo Village. We want prospective guests to see and compare rooms here with other hotel choices. Our rooms are all large; many of our bathrooms are huge with open air showers which are popular; some rooms have their own private jacuzzi pools. Privacy? You have it here. Real private exterior patios, not shared or staring at the people in the room next to yours. And you have peace and quiet - wake up to the birds singing.
Prices here are very competitive for what you get...do your homework and compare to find you can have 700 square feet of interior space with an added 400 square feet in exterior patio including your private pool - all for less than half of what boring, traditional 'name' hotels offer.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

This place is an amazing spot with excellent service. The owner and staff were so nice and helpful. The setting was beautiful and the room far exceeded our expectations. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Just saying 'thank you' for your kind words doesn't seem like enough, but we are very grateful that you took the time to share about your experience at Tamarindo Village Hotel with others who we hope to have as guests and friends in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

Our trip got off to a rough start, staying here made it better. It was as advertised, clean and comfortable for our group of 3. All the staff we interacted with we're friendly, courteous and helpful. They also make you breakfast by the pool.

Thanks for the wonderful stay.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Thanks, Matt, for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with others. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Sadly, this hotel was falsely advertised. The room was supposed to have a separate living area, a fridge, a microwave, garden view plunge pool! It has none of these features! It was a room with no pictures, no fridge, no microwave, no living area, no drawers or wardrobe and the plunge pool looked onto a concrete wall. The air conditioner fan was so loud that we would not have slept and we certainly would not have been able to sit outside at plunge pool as air con was right there. The owner returned half our weeks fee, he kept $665. This was such an upsetting start to our week in Tamarindo. We managed to book into Wyndham Esplendor Hotel but the week cost us a total of $2000 due to the owner at Tamarindo Village keeping half our money! So sad as we had looked forward to this trip for so long! And had saved hard too. Attached some photos of front of hotel, not nice at all.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrea T
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Sadly, these folks would not allow us to resolve their issues (see below), and then were angry about not getting a full refund despite policies saying 'no refunds at all'. In the end, we get this sort of review and have to spell out the whole truth. You be the judges.

When these guests arrived we were awaiting delivery, that same afternoon, of both their new refrigerator and a new microwave oven (we were making the change because the old refrigerator was not performing as we wanted) . They were told this, and that those items would be in their room later the same day. They were unhappy. They next came to tell us that their air conditioner was making a noise in the exterior compressor unit of the split a/c. It was making a noise. So we called our air conditioner repair people who came later that same day and fixed the problem, as we had promised these people - but it was too late since these folks had departed.

The lady was not happy with our interior decoration (not enough art work - she says none, I say two pictures, and I have photos), and they did not like that the a/c unit on the exterior was 'close' - 10 feet, from the plunge pool. That pool, by the way does look at greenery, not just a wall as she has falsely stated. Rather than argue with them, we could see that we needed to offer something different. I showed them an alternate room that I could make available for their stay starting the next day (we were going to relocate another arriving guest to make this possible). It was a 2-room suite, new, with ocean views and next to the main pool. It had a closet for her clothes, the air conditioners made no noise, just a great room. They refused with no good reason for doing so.

Refund of money: Our policy, clearly shown online, is that cancellations made within the last few days prior to arrival, are not subject to receiving refunds. None. This is because we have little or no chance of re-renting the room that we have taken off-line since accepting the reservation. That is the trade-off in reservations. When these people came, we were full and I had been turning people away as late as that same morning. Their cancellation was possibly going to cause us a loss of well over $1,000.00. That is why we have the policy that we do. Also take into account that we had already offered them a replacement room that was very, very acceptable, and they turned it down. Now we really were in a problem.

What we did, despite policy, was to offer them one-half of their money immediately, and told them we would refund more should we get lucky and re-rent the room. Obviously that was not the answer they wanted. As it turned out, we still lost the other one-half of the cost of the reservation since we could not re-rent the room. So there are the facts. And in turn, we get a 'review' that is a lot about the money from people who were offered a great solution but didn't take it. I'm not able to get into people's heads to determine their motivations, but we thought that we'd really made a great offer, and then gone the extra mile with the partial refund. Maybe I should have kept it all?

As it has turned out, all of our later guests who have reserved the original "problem" room, have loved it. I think most people would, frankly. It's a great room, no question.