All reviewsplunge pooloutdoor showerhosts steveholiday in costa ricachange of pacepatio furniturehappy placehonor barprivate patioperfect hostssuper marketbreakfast each morningrooms are largepura vidaview of the oceana great place to staybreakfast was delicious
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We had a team of 15 on a youth mission trip and this was an excellent place to stay. The property is well taking care of, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the rooms are perfect for families or a group. If we come back to Tamarindo we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thanks, Dustin (and group!) for staying with us, and we look forward to having you back again.

I want to underscore what these guests have pointed out: Tamarindo Village is ideal for groups who want to be together but still have some privacy and space to themselves. We have 7 separate bungalows, most have large private patios, some have their own jacuzzi plunge pools, but we are small enough that everyone can be together and not be on top of one another. And we offer deals for groups that can take over the entire hotel -- ask us!

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young kids) stayed at the Tamarindo Village in early April. We stayed at one of the ocean view bungalows with a jacuzzi tub. I'm personally not a big fan of the town of Tamarindo, but we really enjoyed our stay there. It was like staying at home, amidst the hustle and bustle of Tamarindo town. Our bungalow had a loft with a king size bed and balcony. The downstairs had a full size bed, kitchenette, and a full size bathroom with an outdoor shower covered by a canopy (don't worry, the walls are high enough for privacy). Outside the bungalow was the jacuzzi tub, some patio furniture, and a view of the ocean.

Steve and Martha were great hosts and bed and breakfast owners. They were very attentive to us. Breakfast was delicious and filling. My husband even arranged a BBQ dinner, and we all were blown away with how delicious it was!

We really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely stay here again if we were in Tamarindo.

Stayed: April 2017
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Thank you for your comments telling others about your stay at Tamarindo Village! We are always glad to have guests report their impressions, and we like to point out that we sometimes (rarely) get polar opposite reports to the normal really good ones, from some folks. We are the same hosts, our hotel is the same hotel for everyone, just not everyone seems to 'get' what we are doing. That's life, and we hope to have more visitors who want and appreciate large, non-standard 'hotel-design' accommodations, in a relaxing, friendly, family atmosphere.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

Just wrapping up a week stay here with our friends. For the price, it is a great place. What made our stay memorable was not the facility, but the graciousness of the owner. He went way above and beyond to make sure our Costa Rica stay went well. He setup tours, arranged transportation, helped with Reservations, and even loaned us his umbrellas when it rained.
His hotel is still a work in progress for him, but it was just fine. You will love Martha! She cooks your breakfast, cleans your rooms, and is a delight (yes, even with our English/Spanish barrier).
There may be fancier places to stay, but none that will work harder for you than Steve and his staff.

Stayed: May 2017
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thanks, Sharon (and Leroy) for staying with us and for your nice comments. We hope to see you again.
For those who do not yet know Tamarindo Village Hotel: My wife, Martha, and I have owned the hotel for 3 years now. The hotel itself, however, has been here for almost 30 years, and it is one of the original hotels in this area. It has had a very successful run as a business, and over time there have been some changes in ownership and amenities. We have been, and continue to work to upgrade our facilities from their previous rustic feel to a more modern, yet still truly Costa Rican, design.
Tamarindo Village is comfortable, restful, private, and rooms are uniquely spacious, some with private jacuzzi pools and ocean views, yet we are only a minute away from downtown Tamarindo. We hope to have you as our guests, too.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

I am enclosing pictures of our stay which speaks more than words ever could.

When we arrived you can see pictures of what the front office looks like. That should have been our first warning. There was apparently plumbing problems or something so the room we reserved was not available so Steve wanted us to be sure we had a better room but that can be judged by the pictures
enclosed.

The walkways are very dimly lit so make sure you pay attention to where you room is or you could end up going to the wrong room as we did.

I am giving you snap shots of just a few of the bugs that were in our room but keep in mind there were way more than that. Steve the owner gave me a can of raid and a flash light as if that should be standard to spray your room before you go to bed and inhale toxic fumes so bugs are not crawling all over while you are sleeping. We stayed here 2 nights and each night was worse to the point I was actually crying. Not only were the bugs an issue but Steve's attitude was one of you are over reacting. As we showed him bug after bug he either disposed of the evidence as we showed it to him or made sure to tell me how crazy I was to think this should even be considered an issue. It is like we put him out of his way to deal with such a silly issue.

I dreaded going back to our room and made sure I wore flip fops all the time including the shower. Needless to say I did not get too much sleep staying at this hotel.

Steve's arrogance and disrespect is over the top and that makes a situation like this even more unbearable.

I would never stay at this place again, ever.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dawn R
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

This guest was one of two who stayed in an ocean view room on Christmas 2016. Due to some unfinished last minute construction work in the budget room they had reserved, we opted to move them to the ocean view level at no extra charge. They at first were pleased with this option despite the fact that the change did necessitate using a couple sets of stairs to access the ocean view level.

The lighting along the walkways to these guests' room is safely lighted, but not day-light bright, either. Then, again, this is the first complaint we've received about it in 3 years, and also the first time a guest managed to get lost and try to enter another guest's room (see below).

The first evening of these ladies' stay, very late in the evening, and after they had drunkenly awakened other guests by trying to gain entrance into another room (all reported to us the following day by that guest), they came knocking on my door claiming "a million bugs" in their room. I went with them, carrying bug spray and a flashlight, and found just 5 ants either in the bathroom area or in the kitchen. Seriously: 5 ants, after searching everywhere. I thought that leaving the can of bug spray would be appropriate to assist them if they saw another ant.

I killed the ants we found with my finger. Problem solved? Not really. The commenting guest was standing on a chair pointing at the ants and in a loud voice saying "There's one! There's another one!" I admit that I found this to be humorous. She asked me if I thought she was making a big deal of nothing - the answer was "yes", and since it was obvious that I was dealing with an inebriated guest, it honestly was funny to me. Her traveling companion said nothing during this time.

I don't know whether I seemed either arrogant or uncaring, but that was not my intent. Still, the "bug problem" was just very overblown. I suppose that finding it humorous and showing that I thought it was so, was not the right way to handle it. But I do I wish I had video.

My office, the hotel office, is sometimes messy - guilty as charged. I will say that Martha, my wife, will "I told you so" to me on this comment. I will work on that issue and believe we will resolve it with a new reception desk design, bookshelves, and filing cabinet to hide the paperwork. As for the rest of the guest's complaint, I have accurately set forth the scenario and ask prospective guests to read the range of our reviews to get a feel for who we are and how we approach our guests.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

It was our 35th wedding anniversary and the pictures and reviews made this place (deluxe garden room with plunge pool) sound like the perfect place. When we pulled up there was major construction on one side and a garbage filled vacant lot on the other. Not inviting. With some trepidation on our part we walked up to the room with the very pleasant owner. It looked nothing like the pictures. A strong musty smell greeted us. Forget the nice flowers from the pictures. It place looked run-down - maybe was nice back in the '80's. I still had hopes for an attractive plunge pool, but torn green mesh revealed the garbage-strewn lot. The pool area was dirty and dated. In all fairness, we never tasted the supposedly delicious breakfast or saw the main pool. But there are many cheaper much nicer places in the area you can stay.

Stayed: April 2017
2  Thank aspen89
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2017

There is more to the story here than has been told, so I'll do my best to fill in important details.

This couple arrived at the end of April for a reserved 4-night stay while our hotel was full, as were most Tamarindo hotels. I point this out because, being full, we had been turning potential guests away (2 the same day of their arrival), and this plays into our refund policy.

Only one of the two people came into reception when they arrived, the other staying in the car. That did not seem positive, but we showed the first person the room they had reserved and all seemed fine. That person brought the other from the car to check us out. From the first moment, as I was explaining their room, our breakfast hours, and 'honor bar', what I observed was 'head shaking' and an unhappy look from the person who was brought from the car. I asked if that indicated unhappiness and was told that it did. That was the end - 5 minutes, maybe less.

If possible, I would have shown them another room to try to assuage them, but we had no other available rooms. I explained this and told them that despite our written policy of no refunds for cancellations within 3 days of arrival, I would refund one-half their money and try to re-rent the room so that I could refund more. This seemed fair both ways in our eyes. We hold rooms and lose revenue when people "no-show" or last-minute cancel - that is why we have the policies we have put in writing online. Does this review result from the refund policy? I can't say. But I will reply to the specific negatives mentioned by this review:

"Major" construction on our next door neighbor's property: Yes, our neighbor is building what they say is a home using cement and steel. Is there any impact to the room these people were unhappy with - Not directly. Mid-morning and during the day recently, there has been some light noise, sometimes a tractor. The construction mostly, now, impacts the street scene approaching our hotel.

Garbage on another vacant lot next door: There is some construction debris on the next door lot - that is True. It is not our lot. Is it large quantities of debris - no, but you can see some from the street or parking in front of that lot. We have screened it, but the screen is only 4-feet high.

Strong musty odor: This issue was not raised during these people's short visit to the room. While I and our cleaning staff do not smell anything in the questioned room, we know that some people are more sensitive. We are keeping this in mind and will continue to follow up with this particular room.

Plunge Pool Area: "Torn green mesh revealed the garbage strewn lot next door". Disagree very strongly with this entire statement. (1) We do use green mesh on the perimeter fence but it is not torn anywhere, nor is it unattractive; (2) There is no garbage - none - to be seen from the plunge pool area - I checked on both counts upon reading this review this morning. These folks spent less than 5 minutes at the room all-told. It does not surprise me that they got this part wrong, nor that it rings of being a manufactured 'concern'. (3) "Dirty and dated" plunge pool area: the area was cleaned the morning prior to their arrival, yet there were flowers from trees above the pool, on the sandstone pool deck. Design taste is subjective and if the guests' tastes are different from ours, we accept that - but this plunge pool area was remodeled within the last 3 years with more to be done. We care and are concerned if a guest does not find part of their room attractive.

No breakfast / did not view the main pool area: Obviously they did not have the chance to have breakfast because they did not stay. That is too bad as our breakfasts are outstanding. Nor did they take the extra minute to view the main pool area which was a mere 30-feet from the room they did not accept. This shows the haste with which they arrived and exited. The refusal of the 2nd guest to leave the car upon arrival pretty much tells us that their outlook, one or both, was negative at the time they arrived, no matter how nice our hotel interior might be, and our hotel interior is nice.

Finally: For anyone who asks - we will take and send photos to you of our gardens and flowers so that you can see, right then, how we look. Flowers are not permanent fixtures, and we do have a dry season in Guanacaste, which is just now ending. Some of our flowers are beautifully present now, others are not in season yet. We have populated our gardens with plants that like our weather here in Guanacaste, which is dry from December through May. These guests came from an area of Costa Rica which gets more rain regularly than we do, and which is at a higher altitude. Their expectations for our gardens might have been skewed due to the time of year they were here as well as by where they live. But we strongly disagree with the comment about a lack of care.

We are pleased that people provide us with their reactions to our hotel and their experiences while staying with us. We learn from them and we strive to use the information to make Tamarindo Village a better place. Not all reviews are happy, and we accept that truth. What we do not accept are unfair or vindictive statements, and we see a few of these here.