“A great place to stay”

Tamarindo Village Hotel
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We stayed at this property in June for my birthday. The place was lovely and the hosts were wonderful, We highly recommend the breakfast, We visit Tamerindo at least o de a year and this waas by far our favorite place.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests, and for providing us with a smile to start our day. We enjoy what we do here and love sharing our ongoing Costa Rica experience with our guests.
We hope to see you again soon.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We had a team of 15 on a youth mission trip and this was an excellent place to stay. The property is well taking care of, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the rooms are perfect for families or a group. If we come back to Tamarindo we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thanks, Dustin (and group!) for staying with us, and we look forward to having you back again.

I want to underscore what these guests have pointed out: Tamarindo Village is ideal for groups who want to be together but still have some privacy and space to themselves. We have 7 separate bungalows, most have large private patios, some have their own jacuzzi plunge pools, but we are small enough that everyone can be together and not be on top of one another. And we offer deals for groups that can take over the entire hotel -- ask us!

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young kids) stayed at the Tamarindo Village in early April. We stayed at one of the ocean view bungalows with a jacuzzi tub. I'm personally not a big fan of the town of Tamarindo, but we really enjoyed our stay there. It was like staying at home, amidst the hustle and bustle of Tamarindo town. Our bungalow had a loft with a king size bed and balcony. The downstairs had a full size bed, kitchenette, and a full size bathroom with an outdoor shower covered by a canopy (don't worry, the walls are high enough for privacy). Outside the bungalow was the jacuzzi tub, some patio furniture, and a view of the ocean.

Steve and Martha were great hosts and bed and breakfast owners. They were very attentive to us. Breakfast was delicious and filling. My husband even arranged a BBQ dinner, and we all were blown away with how delicious it was!

We really enjoyed our stay, and would definitely stay here again if we were in Tamarindo.

Stayed: April 2017
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Thank you for your comments telling others about your stay at Tamarindo Village! We are always glad to have guests report their impressions, and we like to point out that we sometimes (rarely) get polar opposite reports to the normal really good ones, from some folks. We are the same hosts, our hotel is the same hotel for everyone, just not everyone seems to 'get' what we are doing. That's life, and we hope to have more visitors who want and appreciate large, non-standard 'hotel-design' accommodations, in a relaxing, friendly, family atmosphere.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

Just wrapping up a week stay here with our friends. For the price, it is a great place. What made our stay memorable was not the facility, but the graciousness of the owner. He went way above and beyond to make sure our Costa Rica stay went well. He setup tours, arranged transportation, helped with Reservations, and even loaned us his umbrellas when it rained.
His hotel is still a work in progress for him, but it was just fine. You will love Martha! She cooks your breakfast, cleans your rooms, and is a delight (yes, even with our English/Spanish barrier).
There may be fancier places to stay, but none that will work harder for you than Steve and his staff.

Stayed: May 2017
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Thanks, Sharon (and Leroy) for staying with us and for your nice comments. We hope to see you again.
For those who do not yet know Tamarindo Village Hotel: My wife, Martha, and I have owned the hotel for 3 years now. The hotel itself, however, has been here for almost 30 years, and it is one of the original hotels in this area. It has had a very successful run as a business, and over time there have been some changes in ownership and amenities. We have been, and continue to work to upgrade our facilities from their previous rustic feel to a more modern, yet still truly Costa Rican, design.
Tamarindo Village is comfortable, restful, private, and rooms are uniquely spacious, some with private jacuzzi pools and ocean views, yet we are only a minute away from downtown Tamarindo. We hope to have you as our guests, too.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

I am enclosing pictures of our stay which speaks more than words ever could.

When we arrived you can see pictures of what the front office looks like. That should have been our first warning. There was apparently plumbing problems or something so the room we reserved was not available so Steve wanted us to be sure we had a better room but that can be judged by the pictures
enclosed.

The walkways are very dimly lit so make sure you pay attention to where you room is or you could end up going to the wrong room as we did.

I am giving you snap shots of just a few of the bugs that were in our room but keep in mind there were way more than that. Steve the owner gave me a can of raid and a flash light as if that should be standard to spray your room before you go to bed and inhale toxic fumes so bugs are not crawling all over while you are sleeping. We stayed here 2 nights and each night was worse to the point I was actually crying. Not only were the bugs an issue but Steve's attitude was one of you are over reacting. As we showed him bug after bug he either disposed of the evidence as we showed it to him or made sure to tell me how crazy I was to think this should even be considered an issue. It is like we put him out of his way to deal with such a silly issue.

I dreaded going back to our room and made sure I wore flip fops all the time including the shower. Needless to say I did not get too much sleep staying at this hotel.

Steve's arrogance and disrespect is over the top and that makes a situation like this even more unbearable.

I would never stay at this place again, ever.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Steve C, Owner at Tamarindo Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

This guest was one of two who stayed in an ocean view room on Christmas 2016. Due to some unfinished last minute construction work in the budget room they had reserved, we opted to move them to the ocean view level at no extra charge. They at first were pleased with this option despite the fact that the change did necessitate using a couple sets of stairs to access the ocean view level.

The lighting along the walkways to these guests' room is safely lighted, but not day-light bright, either. Then, again, this is the first complaint we've received about it in 3 years, and also the first time a guest managed to get lost and try to enter another guest's room (see below).

The first evening of these ladies' stay, very late in the evening, and after they had drunkenly awakened other guests by trying to gain entrance into another room (all reported to us the following day by that guest), they came knocking on my door claiming "a million bugs" in their room. I went with them, carrying bug spray and a flashlight, and found just 5 ants either in the bathroom area or in the kitchen. Seriously: 5 ants, after searching everywhere. I thought that leaving the can of bug spray would be appropriate to assist them if they saw another ant.

I killed the ants we found with my finger. Problem solved? Not really. The commenting guest was standing on a chair pointing at the ants and in a loud voice saying "There's one! There's another one!" I admit that I found this to be humorous. She asked me if I thought she was making a big deal of nothing - the answer was "yes", and since it was obvious that I was dealing with an inebriated guest, it honestly was funny to me. Her traveling companion said nothing during this time.

I don't know whether I seemed either arrogant or uncaring, but that was not my intent. Still, the "bug problem" was just very overblown. I suppose that finding it humorous and showing that I thought it was so, was not the right way to handle it. But I do I wish I had video.

My office, the hotel office, is sometimes messy - guilty as charged. I will say that Martha, my wife, will "I told you so" to me on this comment. I will work on that issue and believe we will resolve it with a new reception desk design, bookshelves, and filing cabinet to hide the paperwork. As for the rest of the guest's complaint, I have accurately set forth the scenario and ask prospective guests to read the range of our reviews to get a feel for who we are and how we approach our guests.