“Perfect Location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Witch's Rock Surf Camp
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Located in downtown Tamarindo...right on the beach. Rooms are clean with comfortable beds in a very unique building. Attached restaurant has an excellent menu. Breakfast at this place is included. Surf shop has very cool items. Did the combined surf/hotel package and really enjoyed ourselves. Staff is very friendly and helpful, they helped us arrange and booked our transportation to Arenal before we even arrived. They will also pick you up from Liberia airport.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard view room that was right next to the restaurant, a little noisy but do-able.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

This was a last minute trip for me and knew nothing of Costa Rica, Witch’s Rock Surf Camp or Surfing. But, I did know, that I have always wanted to explore all three. We were welcomed with warm smiles and friendly faces and by the end of the trip we became a big family. I am not able to pick out my favorite moment, spot or experience, loved them all. The staff at WRSC was so generous and even invited us to play and/or watch their local soccer match. The surfing instructors truly wanted to see you succeed at riding in your first wave and you had the freedom to surf all day if you wanted. The Camp was spotless, food delightful and beer ice cold! We met people from all over the world and continue to stay in touch. The weather was sunny and 93 with a slight breeze. The sand was so soft, the ocean felt like warm bath water, I felt safe knowing that Nelson was there to watch over your belongings on the beach and wrapped up each day with a breathtaking sunset. The people were real and one really does not need much to be happy in life. A humbling experience!!! I can’t wait to come back Witch’s Rock Surf Camp and Costa Rica. The only negative thing…7 days just was not long enough! Pura Vida my new found family.

Room Tip: Depending on when you book your trip, you may stay at a sister hotel but they are all within walking...
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I was directed to WR by a friend who has gone there many years in a row and knew I wanted to learn how to surf. He said CR was the perfect place for beginners for the rolling, easy waves, the perfect water temperature and the lack of sharks. Within 15 minutes of checking in I was given a one-on-one surf lesson with Percy who turned out to be my favorite instructor (and who I think is the best when working with a beginner). My room had a balcony and a beautiful view. The breakfast which was included was AMAZING and I chose "the Betty" every morning (how could I choose eggs or pancakes when I had the option of a bowl of tropical fruit???). Maxie made my morning choosing my perfect board and the waitstaff was always full of smiles. Julie was great at the front desk. And it was the perfect atmosphere to meet other guests. When I left I felt like I had formed a small family. It was an amazing week of surfing and hanging out.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank vaterps71
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I didn't think my second trip down to WRSC could top my first trip, but this past trip certainly did! First time visitor or returning guest, you are welcomed as part of the WRSC family. Going on a surf vacation to WRSC is a no brainer, just book it already!! Or don't and I will go for you instead!!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 31 January 2012

What stood out for me about the surf lessons is that the staff really cared the people improved at surfing and had a good time. During my stay there, the waves were very small on two of the days. Instead of taking the easy way out and just blaming mother nature, they drove us to another beach at no additional expense.

On our way back from one of these trips, the instructors collected money for anyone who wanted lobster. I was just expecting one, instead, I ended up being forced to eat five lobster tails and calamari before calling it quits. Definitely above and beyond.

The cheap rooms are very basic and perfect because I hardly spent any time in it. If you need amenities, there are many hotels in the area they partner with and will still provide you lessons. I spent part of my stay at a hotel 4 blocks away called the Cocodrillo. It's also on the beach and actually cheaper. However, for those who are considering other hotels, keep in mind that WRSC chose the location because of where the waves break. Other hotels may be on the beach but you'll have to walk to where the waves are.

For those who worry about the offers of illicit activities in Tamarindo, it's actually a lot less than many other party towns throughout the region. Don't negotiate, just walk away and they won't hassle you. Don't hit the clubs until 12am unless you enjoy being the only one there.

Room Tip: Consider other hotels if amenities are essential. They partner with other hotels and will still pro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo