“Nice quiet Hotel on the beach!”

Hotel La Laguna del cocodrilo
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed 10 April 2017

The Hotel was perfect for my stay in Tamarindo. It is located right on the beach and is walking distance from the mainstream where all the shops, bars, and souvenir shops are located. I was greeted by Patricia who was quite a delight. She knew I was traveling alone and immediately offered me insight on activities I could join that others in the hotel were planning on doing. Everyday I woke up I would just ask, "Hey Trish, whats going on today?" She knew what bars had what, what club was popping, and where to get some good grub. The room in my opinion was good for me. I am 34 years old and don't require much to be satisfied. The beds were not the most comfortable, but like I said I am a 34 year old male, not a deal breaker for me. The staff was super nice and the place was clean, thats all that matters. I love, love, love the garden area with the hammocks. I spent many days just laying in the hammocks reading. The hotel was very quiet as well. Since it was not smack in the middle of the busy part I didn't have to deal with any noise. My room had a beautiful view of the ocean which was one of my favorite parts. Overall I loved my stay and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Garden view and Beach view both look toward the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Gregory M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Don't let the missing fancy luxuries fool you; THIS is the place to be. Great staff. Amazing French bakery. Views to die for. Minutes from the centre far enough away from the maddening crowds but a 6-7 minute walk to the centre of the action). The real deal. The real experience. If buffets and non-stop party crowds are your thing, go somewhere else. If you like wine or beer with the setting sun, a killer red snapper meal, or just a pastry and coffee in the morning, book here now.

Room Tip: main floor, facing the beach
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Marygallant2014
Reviewed 25 February 2017

We used Tamarindo as our stop on the day of our flight in and the night before our flight out of Costa Rica due to the proximity to Liberia. Our stay here was perfect - no need to get into a car, with a relaxing garden, the beach right there and a variety of stores and restaurants nearby. Rooms were clean and comfortable.
Special thanks to Trish, who was a great source of local information and very helpful when I needed to deal with a rental car claim by telephone!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2017

First off, Tamarindo is kind of a touristy place, so don't expect your hotel dollars to go as far as elsewhere in Costa Rica. Although not perfect, I thought it was pretty good value. Some random points:

The room: I actually thought it was very clean despite what some other reviews have stated. No roaches although lots of mosquitoes. I thought the room was tastefully decorated and thought it looked good. Our room faced the road which meant there was a bit of noise. Everything was manageable except for one night when the Crazy Monkey (club down the street) had a big party. A room facing the inside/beach would have been better.

Service: Thought the French lady in the front was very nice. Helpful in letting us know where everything was and arranging tours for us.

Tours: On the topic of tours, we went on a couple and the best was the crocodile tour. However, DON'T buy it from the hotel. Walk down the road (opposite direction from the hotel) for literally like 30 seconds and you will run into the place that sells the tour without the markup. About tours in general - if you want peace of mind book from the hotel, but keep in mind almost everybody are just reselling tours.

Location: Tamarindo is a small place and you don't need a car unless you are going far away. This hotel is located on the very end of the beach. DO NOT go into the forest (ie, do not turn right) because there are crocodiles there. People have been bitten before. Regardless, quite a romantic walk towards the beach and away from the part where people are partying/selling drugs/etc.

Nearby amenities: Closest grocery store/ATM is about a 5-10 minute walk away from town. You need to walk on the shoulder of the highway and it may be uncomfortable for some though! There are smaller grocery stores in Tamarindo itself if you just need necessities. Lots of restaurants in the main town, which is 5-10 minutes walk away. There is also a pastry shop on the premise (makes sense when you understand the French origin of the hotel). Great for a quick breakfast.

Why not 5*: One night ruined by nearby club (not exactly hotel's fault I guess). Also keep in mind that the location is at the very fringe of town. Not a huge deal, but the location was not as ideal as I thought. Also would have been nice if they had chairs and stuff you could borrow to sit on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

This hotel is nothing fancy, but the location is fantastic! Just a short walk from town and right on the beach - doesn't get much better than that!

We rolled in early and the gal at the front was as friendly and accommodating as one could want. We dropped off our bags and walked out the back to the beach. There was plenty of beautiful sand and ocean within a few hundred yards to enjoy without fear of the crocodiles.

The room itself was a bit dated, but clean and since we don't spend much time in the room, good enough for us. We paid an extra $10 for the ocean view - totally worth it. There was a little patio in front that faced the ocean, what more could you want?

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple