All reviews off the beaten path poolside bar definitely stay here again ceiling fan air conditioning small hotel beautiful pool bungalow trees
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

Wonderful people run this charming collection of cheery bungalows and rooms. We stayed for two weeks while taking Spanish classes and LOVED it. The gardens are lush and peaceful, the morning breakfast a lovely place to relax, the bungalows roomy enough for a long stay. I traveled with two boys, ages 9 and 6, and this place was perfect for them. They got to pet the friendly dogs and cats that live there, saw monkey from our windows and crept up on the local iguana. Plenty of room for them to safely roam and explore, but not so much that I ever lost them. The owners, Simona and Pino, did so much to make our stay fun, including buying a beach ball for my kids to play with when we expressed interest in water toys. We felt very welcomed, comfortable and like we were enjoying an authentic local
Mom and Pop experience. This isn't the Ritz -- the shower water temperature is difficult to get exactly right, for example -- but it was in many ways a more special and wonderful experience for us than if we'd stayed at a 5 star luxury resort.

Incidentally, Simona works to help save the local monkey population, she's just a very cool woman.

While you're in Tamarindo, I also recommend you try the Green Papaya, local restaurant that has swings the kids can sit on while eating.

Have fun!

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank Allison L
Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and we were very pleased with our stay. It is only about a 5 minute walk to the beach and the downtown shopping area. The owners were very accommodating. They fixed the shower head for us and even lent us their own personal cooler for the duration of our stay (there was no fridge in our room). The grounds are kept clean and you can even hear the calls of howler monkeys at night. We visited in the off season, so the poolside bar was closed. The only complaint I have is that the bed we had was much too hard for our liking, but that was offset by how much we enjoyed being at the hotel. There was also a modest, but filling breakfast provided, which we enjoyed very much. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who isn't looking for a "fancy" place to stay.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cole6087777
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Excellent place for families. Bungalows are huge and clean with A/C. 500M walk to beach. Host is very friendly and helpful. Italian chef at on-site restaraunt makes excellent pizzas for a poolside meal.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 11 April 2016

This place was so sub-standard that we only spent one hour there while we searched for something better. I have no idea how it got so many good reviews. I normally depend on tripadvisor for recommendations, but this time I got fooled. The photos look pretty good, however the rooms are run down and OLD. The entire area smelled of sewer. The bed was an old foam mattress, the windows were high on the wall, it was much like standing in a tube. The TV was smaller than the screen on my computer and the room was filled with mosquitos and flies. This was more in the style of a hostel, not a nice hotel for adults. There are wonderful hotels in the area, and not so much more money. Spend a bit more and don't sleep in such a bungalow.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed 8 April 2016

We had a great time here. The bungalow was a little run down, the pictures look nicer than it really was. We didn't spend a lot of time in the unit anyway so that wasn't an issue. It was a great location with a short walk to the beach and it was nice to have a pool outside the door of our bungalow. But when we had our laundry done, my brand new running bra (I paid $55 for it 2 days before we left for vacation) was never returned to me. The owner never even apologize and did not return my email when I returned home and asked once again if it happened to show up.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family