“Great breakfast! Fantastic staff!”
Review of La Bodega

La Bodega
Ranked #12 of 234 Restaurants in Tamarindo
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 10
Cuisines: International, Healthy, Central American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: La Bodega is an organic cafe/store located in Tamarindo, Guanacaste. We carry foods and specialty items made 100% in Costa Rica. Fresh homemade sandwiches, salads, baked goods, coffee and drinks are available daily! We provide organic, sustainable and local foods as much as possible. We are a small locally owned business with a passion for eating and living well. Pura Vida!
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Great restaurant with free wifi to relax and hangout for a while. I had the eggs, Jamaican style rice & peas, bacon, tortilla with a black iced coffee.

My meal was good, and tasty. The server Bucki or Buki (I'm sure I'm spelling it incorrectly) was very friendly! He is originally from Chicago, but moved to CR a while back.

Restaurant has free wifi that allows you to chill and they offered free coffee refills all day! That was an added bonus for me. I had three cups :)

Restaurant is in the city centre and is very close to taxi/bus stand as well.

There is one bathroom in the restaurant, and you have to walk inside - it's right next to the cashier or where they have the food. Not ideal!

Overall, I would definitely recommend! It was a chill place to have breakfast and rest for a moment after being at the beach early morning.

Date of visit: April 2017
Buki-CR, Owner at La Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2017

Hi jaemar01,
Thank you so much for the great review!
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit!
Hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I ate brunch here on three occasions, unfortunately the service and the attitude of one member of staff on the 3rd occasion stopped us going back again. Had to ask three times for the juice I ordered and when it eventually arrived at the end of our meal, I was glared at and had it slammed down in front of me.
Now we all have our off days, and being from the UK I'm quite use to not having the friendliest customer service in the world, but this was dam right rude, for something that was their mistake.
So no 5 stars from me.

Buki-CR, Owner at La Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Hi lisalew2015,
Thank you for the review.
We are very sorry that you had a bad experience on your last visit.
I clearly remember you, because your husband explained to us that it was your third visit and there were problems with the service.
I spoke with the staff member afterwards, and he explained what happened:
1. You ordered a fresh squeezed orange juice as you were receiving your breakfast... and we make our food and drinks in the order that the order is placed. they made the orange juice as soon as possible, but because the OJ is fresh squeezed after we receive the order, that also added to the delay. When we receive the drink order together with the food order, we make sure to serve the drinks before any food is served.
2. As far as the 'slamming down' of your drink, he told me that he didn't slam anything down, the glass happened to hit one of your plates as he was placing it on your table, because you were seated at our smallest table and there was not much room because of the food and drinks that had already been served... that being said, i apologize on behalf of the staff member if he did not apologize for the glass hitting your plate.

I completely understand your frustration, (and as such I gave you a discount on your meal), however please understand that it was a combination of factors that led to your dissatisfaction, and we really do pride ourselves in offering truly great service... and I believe that in general you would agree, because you came back twice after your first visit.

Again, thank you for the review, and for giving us a chance to improve our service in the future with your criticism.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

This is a quaint little place, so unsuspecting. We were just looking for a light lunch and shared the sesame chicken sandwich. The flavor was bold and delicious. It was just perfect! We were in and out in about 30 minutes. Looking at other patrons meals around us, everything looked amazing!!

Date of visit: April 2017
Buki-CR, Owner at La Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Hi Jekela,
Thank you so much for the amazing review!
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, and we hope to see you again soon!
Pura Vida,

Reviewed 3 April 2017

Outstanding coffee, food and service! So fun sitting on their front deck. One time my husband's credit card got stuck in his zippered short's pocket. Three staff members helped and laughed with us through this interesting endeavor. One cute woman was trying to get us to go to the tailor next door so that we could retrieve it without cutting his shorts. Enjoyed watching the occasional iguana on the rooftop.

Buki-CR, Owner at La Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Hi 616jen68,
Thank you for the excellent review!
We totally remember you from the 'zipper incident', it's things like that which makes our every day extra interesting and fun :) We truly do love what we do and it's just an added bonus when we can try to help someone too!
We hope you were able to sew up that pocket later, cuz those were some really nice shorts! :)
We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 31 March 2017

This place is great. Super good coffee and food, an awesome patio on which to eat, and super friendly.

Buki-CR, Owner at La Bodega, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Hi nickgieschen,
Thank you for the review!
We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, and we hope to see you again soon!