2,825 results
All reviews beach side tour desk swim up bar family pool adult pool costa rica ocean view grassy area breakfast buffet lagoon pool waffle station in town the main hotel beachfront room beach vendors third floor beach resort
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

I am a resident of Tamarindo and my in-laws came to visit for a few days. We hadn’t seen them in months and they brought a bunch of surprises for my 6 year old daughter. She wanted to see what they brought and change into her swim suit but the staff would not allow her go to the room to see what was brought for her because the hotel policy requires them to add her to the reservation for an additional charge even if she is in there for 5 minutes. The guard even followed us around the grounds to make sure she did did not go to the room. When we asked to speak to a manager, they said that wasn’t possible. Not worth the money, there are much better hotels in the area. Keep looking.

Trip type: Travelled with family
MariaTDBR, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2018

Dear Guest,

The hotel has certain safety regulations that are for the welfare and protection of each of our guests.
Guests are allowed to visit hotel guests in the public hotel areas or if they like to use our amenities we offer a day-pass during low season which you didn't want to pay.

However, your daughter always had the opportunity to share with your in-laws in our lobby or the hotel restaurants.

Regards.

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Best sunset views with the best service! Every evening we watched the sunset and enjoyed our drinks and food. Kevin was our server almost nightly and became a friend! He made great drinks, taught us Tamarindo history and even entertained our one year old! We cannot wait to return.

Trip type: Travelled with family
MariaTDBR, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Tamarindo Diria, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2018

Dear membuglisi,

Thank you very much for your five star review! It is very rewarding to read that cannot wait to return!

Thank you for mentioning the great Service you received from Kevin, we Will make sure to share your comments with him.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! More spechless sunsets are awaiting you

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We just returned from Costa Rica and stayed here with the kids. The food was poor for the hotel. All you can eat breakfast included the bugs and birds in the area too! The staff would stand around and occasionally scare them away after they had a fill on the fruit and dessert tables. The birds would land directly on the food and eat freely; after seeing this we only ate the food that was covered. Staff hardly greeted you except for the grounds keeper that was very friendly. Restaurants around the area were very good and worth the short walk. We stayed at the volcano Lodge in Arenal and it was a fantastic spot, but not ocean front. We will come back to Costa Rica but most likely not to the Diria.

Dear Jana N,

We are naturally disappointed to read your review which not reflect the true level of Service that we are used to offer to each and every of our guests.

We received great compliments for our breakfast buffet, so It is unfortunate that you have not enjoyed it. We understand that there are some birds around, however, we want to remind you that we are in an open restaurant surrounded by a tropical paradise with abundant fauna. However, we make sure that it does not represent a hygiene problem for any of our guests.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

So, I feel like I have a lot of valuable information that would have definitely helped me before I booked this hotel. There are a lot of pros! However, the cons are pretty important. First of all, we are very frequent travelers and tend to stay in 4 to 5 star hotels. Our last vacation was in Riveira Maya ( will write back with the name)we paid less than the Diria AND it was during Christmas,so this was their High season. The rooms were huge and gorgeous plus it was all inclusive. I am comparing these two because the location was very similar. Phenomenal location. Right next to the beach and shopping.
First, the pros: location amazing, front end staff awesome. Dinner at their restaurant amazing!The first night we had a wonderful server. The next night it was a disaster. Mind you, I am paying $300 a night ! NOT all inclusive.
The rooms are so so so small, we booked the most expensive room, also ocean front. Again, view amazing. However, my husband and I are very thin and we cannot even move. There is NO WHERE to even put our clothes. No dressers but a dinky cabinet. I mean we are talking Motel 6 small. There is not one single solitary drawer in the bathroom! I kid you not. I asked if there was a bigger room and they said no. Very antiquated. When you go to the bathroom you knock over the toilet paper lol! Again, I am paying premium pricing for LOW season. This just really makes me sad. I cannot remember the last time a room was so small. I get it people, you do not spend that much time in the room....but still. Also,(again, I am only saying this because this is supposed to be comparable to other 4-5 star resorts. We do occasionally like to relax and turn on the TV. You do not get any channels that are in English. Only CNN. Again, I am not being unrealistic,but we are in a tourist area and normally the TV,s have a decent selection. I do understand this is their country, but I am paying for this. I can guarantee the Westin etc...has more “modern” amenities. If I were paying for. 1,2 or even 3 star hotel, then absolutely this is what I would expect. This hotel is in need of modernization. We came to get towels for the beach at 9am and were told the laundry is not working.
The other item that is really bothersome, and I have seen many complaints to, is the breakfast. Ironically, this is the one meal included. It is awful. The exact same thing every single day. I expected wonderful fruit. Nope, pineapple, papaya and watermelon. That is it. When we have traveled we have always enjoyed speaking with the staff etc..there is one person that does eggs. He was mean, mean . The staff was very gracious when we complained. I always try to be very friendly and I absolutely LOVE to tip. So today there was a different lady but she did not understand anything we were saying. I just wanted an omelet. She never smiled either. No selection for omelets either. I have had a cheese with canned mushrooms every time.
Please understand, these are just FYI. For a lower to middle priced hotel this would be fine but it is priced comparable to sky last 4 vacations in Cancun, Cabo San Lucas. Those places were phenomenal. Our rooms were like mini condo,s. Everything included.
I want to reiterate how kind the front desk people are and our housecleaning lady does a wonderful job. The location is amazing. This is not to complain but to be informative. I can barely fit anything in our rooms and because there are not any drawers it makes it most difficult. The bathroom is one little sink and there is no room for anything. I would gladly have paid for a bigger room.
I had an issue with not being able to move the bathroom door and it was fixed immediately. The issue is more with the price matching the amenities. I am staying 10 Days and it is a long time to be claustrophobic. We are 72 and 56 so we do spend a little bit of time in there.(not too much,lol) Also, no room service either.( I love getting breakfast in the morning)
I hope this helps.
I will post at the end.

4  Thank Treeburn

Dear Treeburn,

Thank you for having selected Tamarindo Diria and for having set aside some of your valuable to time to share your review with us.

We always strive to provide the best service to our guests so we are very disappointed to learn that we have not met your expectations.

Your comments will be taken on board as all our guests' feedback is of utmost importance to us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

The stay here was a honeymoon gift. I wasn’t sure what to expect. The staff was polite, to some shy or unapproachable, but once you speak with them, very helpful. We were here during the off season, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Beach towels are given to you when you give them a ticket. You need to make sure to have the ticket or the towels. If not, you’ll have to pay $20. Best to keep your towel near you. The staff will grab any towel left unattended. There was a breakfast buffet included with our stay. I’ve seen other reviews regarding flies on the fruits and some of the food. But what can you do? Here in this area, most of the restaurants are outdoors. It is what it is. If you don’t like it, it’s best to find an indoor restaurant in the area, which by the way are very few. You do have to wear a bracelet (given at the beginning of your stay) at all times. Didn’t like that because it definitely tells everyone you’re a tourist. Again, it was part of the stay here. Loved that we stayed on the ocean view side. But our days were spent at the pool on the other side across the street. Nice and tranquil since it was off season. Ricardo was a very friendly bartender at the family pool. Quiet at first until we talked to him. Made great drinks and gave us some tips on where to eat. We had no issue with our room. Bed and all the amenities were fine.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple