All reviews communal kitchen studio apartment costa rica great bbq excellent hosts nice size surrounded by trees lush gardens free coffee warm water open air restaurants and shops samara beach janice porch accommodations refrigerator
Reviewed 3 February 2018

We (4 adults) enjoyed our 9 nights, staying in the 3 bedroom cottage. The outdoor patio overlooking the pool and lush grounds was our favourite spot; especially appreciated after a day at the beach, shopping or touring the beautiful countryside looking for the hidden waterfalls. A treat we enjoyed on an almost daily basis, was the visit of a small troupe of howler monkeys travelling through our compound and over our roof. (one visit late afternoon and most early mornings). The Owners were excellent hosts who went out of their way to may our stay memorable.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank lrowat
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We loved everything about the Tico Adventure Lodge, from the outdoor communal kitchen overlooking the gardens and pool, to the outdoor yoga area with classes that were a wonderful way to start the day. We enjoyed our balcony with hammock, surrounded by trees. An easy 5-minute walk to the beach and many restaurants and shops The pool area is shaded and beautiful. Traffic on the road is busy and can be noisy, but once through the front entrance it is very serene. Approachable staff to answer questions about local activities.

Room tip: We enjoyed our deluxe double room with balcony (with two chairs and hammock) overlooking a quiet treed courtyard.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed in the studio apartment with my boyfriend in July 2017 after a month long trip across CR. The studio is located literally behind reception, not with the other rooms. There is only one other apartment above it. First of all you can hear ever single movement from upstairs, which we could understand considering all the wood. The shower was also so tiny, my (very thin but tall) boyfriend struggled to fit in. Then we found a cockroach in the bathroom.
Some mornings yoga is held in the yoga studio beside reception, beginning quite early and we could hear every single word of the instructor as the bed is up against the shared wall. Not only that, but a small window over the bed allows you to see into the yoga studio or more importantly, if the small curtain is not pulled all the way, allows people in the yoga studio to see into the bed. A few embarrassing glances were exchanged one morning.
We also opted to get some laundry done through reception. We were required to pay a deposit and would pay the balance on arrival of the clothes. When the clothes were returned to us, we were told that the bill had been settled so we assumed that the deposit had covered the full cost and didn’t feel the need to check. When we went back to reception to ask about a tour, the owner/manager accused the two of us of trying to “pin the charge” on them and informed us that he “was not going to pay for our laundry”. We explained that we had been told the bill had been settled, a statement that obviously the owner/manager found very amusing as he proceeded to laugh at us. Great customer service there.
Final problem involved the booking of a transfer back to SJO, we repeatedly requested. Details were changed multiple times and even though we wrote down our destination, we were still brought to the wrong place in SJO. The driver informed me that that was where the Tico Adventure Lodge staff member had told him to go.
Overall it was the most negative experience, and the most expensive place we stayed in our 7 destinations in Costa Rica.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjryan2016
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

This is a special little hotel that I came to love dearly. From the sweet family that own & operate it to the gorgeous wooden kitchen & yoga/workout deck, this place is a good one!

My room was clean, had hot water, and a super powerful fan that got the job done!

I loved the free coffee in the mornings & the ability to have a kitchen to cook in too! And the dog and cats are so beautiful and sweet.

It’s close to all the shops and restaurants too. And a 5 minute gorgeous walk to the beach!

I will most definitely be returning here! Thank you! ♥️♥️♥️

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Every time I come to Samara I stay here! The owners are so lovely and friendly. They have rooms to suit families and singles. They have rooms with kitchens and an open air communal kitchen for the rooms that don't have their own. They are dog friendly. I don't personally bring a dog but have adopted theirs that I now consider my vacation pet.
They have an awesome yoga deck and during the high season massage therapists are available. Walking distance to restaurants and the beach. It is always an adventure at the Tico Adventure Lodge!!

Room tip: I love number 4 and 9. If you have a family or a big group I would recommend any of the three houses they have!
Date of stay: July 2017