All reviews sushi night homemade pasta costa rica great food eight nights tuna tartare surf lessons small hotel rooms were very clean welcoming hosts tropical birds first floor short walk wonderful hotel room hotel pura vida gorgeous beach
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I loved this little 8 room hotel from the minute we arrived. The rooms are spotless with big comfy beds and nice furnishings. The aircon coped well with the heat and humidity. It was quiet over night apart from the monkeys! The little bar does great food and we had a great night sat chatting at the bar with the staff and other guests (great to meet Carly). Everyone we met was super relaxed and happy, as you would be if you lived here. Playa Grande beach is stunning and across from the hotel so a great location. A lucky find in stunning Costa Rica. Thank you.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

This felt like a little oasis for us. Arriving with a sick baby, Gail's motherly yet relaxed hosting skills meant we felt like we weren't a burden (no one wants guests with a crying sick baby!!). The phone for emergencies was a wonderful touch for us new parents at 2am. The staff were lovely the pool was just what we needed. And the food!!!! The tuna tartare is a must try I could love on this for the rest of my life. Affordable and gorgeous spot. Rooms are a little small but only because we had a portacot with us and 3 months worth of gear.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

I spent 8 relaxing nights here in February and enjoyed the peaceful, laid back setting. My room was on the second floor overlooking the pool. It was clean and simple but comfortable. I opened both of the windows during my stay and did not use the A/C. I enjoyed listening to the sounds of the howler monkeys, tropical birds, and the running waterfalls in the pool. There was a small table and two chairs outside my door on the covered walkway outside the room where I sat to relax and drink tea while enjoying the beauty of the tall palm trees lining the pool. Dining onsite at the open air restaurant is very good and I ate almost all of my meals there. Everything was good from the traditional Tico style breakfast, to the fresh fish entrees, to the elaborate selection of sushi on sushi night and the homemade pasta on Italian night. You will find the gorgeous beach of Playa Grande just a quick, short walk from the hotel. The beach is natural, undeveloped and beautiful. The water is crystal clear and the bottom is sandy. I highly recommend a trip to Playa Grande for great surfing and relaxing on a gorgeous beach in a natural, non commercialized peaceful setting. I can't wait to return!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2017

We had a lovely time at La Marejada. Couldn't have a more perfect location to access the spectacular beach of Playa Grande. Gail and Marco were very welcoming and accommodating. They set us up with surf lessons (so much fun!), and offered to make arrangements for us to take a canoe tour in a nearby mangrove area (we couldn't go because of a schedule conflict, but their help was very much appreciated). The rooms are bright, simple, and tastefully done--perfect for beach side enjoyment. Restaurant offered very taste breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our only regret was not being able to stay longer!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the stairs might be quieter than rooms near the restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2017

This small hotel has everything to please you during your stay at Playa Grande. The eight rooms are simply but efficiently decorated and furnished with white walls and lovely wood furnitures. There's a big window so it's nice and bright.
The bed was firm and comfortable, perfect. The bathroom is quite small but the shower is great. The owner told me that they will do some maintenance/improvements during the low season so it will surely be even better.
I don't know how they built this place but the room was always cool, even with just the fan. We travelled a lot in CR and believe me, most of the rooms were like an oven if you dared to turn the fan off...
There's a small refreshing swimming pool surrounded by palm trees and sunbeds. Perfect to hide from the crazy midday sun as there's no shade or barely by the beach.
The owners are very cool and layback. No pressure for paperwork, etc. But efficient and helpful. We didn't bring beach towels with us (travelling very light) and Gail gave us towels and a big blanket to lay on the beach which is a stroll away.
We had a superb pleasant stay at La Marajena.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple