All reviews sushi night homemade pasta costa rica great food eight nights tuna tartare surf lessons small hotel rooms were very clean welcoming hosts tropical birds first floor short walk wonderful hotel room hotel pura vida gorgeous beach
Reviewed 4 January 2015

I can't say enough good things about La Marejada. I traveled there for (American) Thanksgiving week in November with my husband and two teenage girls. We were looking for a clean, safe, friendly hotel located as close as possible to Playa Grande's beautiful surfing beach and famous turtle nesting sites. We were not disappointed. La Marejada is a small hotel run by a family whose members take good care of you. Their bar/restaurant will keep you happy three meals a day, if you need it. The fish tacos, homemade pasta, and mojitos were all wonderful. The owner, Gail, steered us toward and arranged a long list of fun activities, including: nighttime viewing of turtle nesting with the park service, surfing lessons, estuary canoe trip, day trip into Tamarindo, yoga, massages, and an excursion to Hacienda Guachipelin (that's a separate review). La Marejada hosts yoga and surf retreats and I want to go back, maybe by myself this time.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2015 via mobile

Playa Grande in itself is one of the best place in Costa Rica. Our stay at this hotel highly contributed to the fantastic experience we had.
The owners are welcoming and very helpful. We immediately felt like home.
The rooms are top notch and tastefully decorated.
They have a nice and relaxing swimming pool area very well maintained.
Next to the hotel is a restaurant that offers the best bloody mary in Costa Rica and excellent food (I highly recommend the tuna tartar that is out of this world).
The hotel is a short walking distance from the beach and you can be easily picked up to do the turtle watching tour.

The hotel has only 8 rooms. If this hotel is fully booked, you should try Jack Inn next door that has a great staff.

Stayed: December 2014
1  Thank Captain_Krabs
Reviewed 1 December 2014

I've been going to Playa Grande now for over 11 years and never miss going to MarBar! The very best in Eggs Benedict AND Fish Tacos and cold beer! Great service and atmosphere....experience Playa Grande at it's best! I highly recommend this awesome place to all ages. There are also great rooms, a pool and hammocks to de-stress from our hectic lives. Very safe and serene....you'll feel right at home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrendaSue0317
Reviewed 3 November 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a whim while travelling and what a pleasant surprise!
The service was outstanding - the rooms were simple, clean, open and cool and the atmosphere was amazing - so relaxed and friendly.
We had the fish tacos and sangria at any given opportunity and have been trying to emulate them ever since. (going on 2 years - we've almost nailed it)

The Pizza place next door is also great for grabbing a drink and some late night munchies.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2014

I spent 3 weeks at La Marejada and had a wonderful experience. The property is very well maintained, the rooms are kept very clean and the staff are all so friendly and helpful. The beach is a short walk away with great surf. Best of all, the owners of two of the nicest people I met on my trip. I especially enjoyed the restaurant at the hotel, the food was great breakfast, lunch and dinner. I tried other resteraunts in Grande and La Marejada was the best for the price. I'm planning to return to La Marejada again just as soon as I can.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo